• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I Dent Cup and ACT competition - 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
JID.PNG

Teams for this week

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Uni v Royals sees two Riverina boys face off in AJ Abel and Davey Wright. Great to see some regional content in the 'berra!

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)
Looks like a lot of new faces in the Gunghalin side, can anyone tell me if they are 2nd graders pushing into first grade or new recruits to the club??

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
I won't be surprised if there are quite a few results like this involving Tuggeranong over the year. Not sure if it's a good thing for ACT rugby in any sense.

They are a club looking for the mythical next tier in Australian club rugby.

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)
My theory is that they want to be included in the Shute Shield, and the way they are going about it is proving to Australian Rugby that they are way to dominant for the Canberra comp and steps need to be taken to accommodate them.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Certainly is the case, but from my point of view, it won't be a sustainable option. Previous examples of ACT teams in the Shute shield and Waratah shield serve as an example.

H

Homer J

Is there a reason only Royals appear to be fielding Brumbies (apart from Colby coming back)?
Good to see Siliva Siliva playing again.

I think it is a money thing with Vikings. If you have it, spend it. However, it will unbalance the comp and clubs like Uni and Easts could struggle to survive which is not good for the comp. If Vikings do get teams in the Shute Shield then there will be a massive player drain to the club as young guys look for an opportunity on a bigger stage. Not Vikings fault for be well organised.

Reactions: FTS

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
We've had Jerry Y at easts, and he has been fantastic. Very humble and friendly guy.

As for Vikings, they are a well managed, robust and focused organisation, however as I mentioned they are really a club that needs a new tier - one that is almost completely professional.

They arguably have better facilities than the Brumbies, and also a much stronger financial base.

This would be above the amateur club competitions in Brisbane, Canberra, Melbourne, Perth and Sydney, most likely involving the strongest and richest clubs from these competitions.

mopo10

Frank Row (1)
"Is there a reason only Royals appear to be fielding Brumbies (apart from Colby coming back)?
Good to see Siliva Siliva playing again.."

Luckily for us our two boys are not currently involved with the travelling Brumbies Squad at the moment. Siliva is only in his 2nd game back but if last weeks performance is anything to go by he could well make the playing squad by seasons end.....Kimami is also a very strong talent on the field still very young and will only improve with all the game time he plays at club level and he's important to us by filling the void left by guys like Tim Conforth & BJ who has also left to play in NZ......Our other Brumbies Hoiles (Gone), To'omua (Injured) & Carter (wont see too much club rugby time I dont think).....

Will be interested to see how the comp pans out.....West gave Vikings a shake up in pre-season only for the Eagles to pull a win from Wests last wknd.......Though Vikings appear to be the benchmark after only one week I still anticipate some other clubs to trump them through out the season(fingers crossed)..The Whites wont let that scoreline happen again and though we got Easts last week they still stayed very competitive through out the majority of the match and if Royals hadn't of had such a blistering 20mins the scoreline may have well been a lot closer.

All the best to all the clubs in the John I Dent Cup!

strapping

Stan Wickham (3)
What is the vikings depth like, its all well and good to say you have a strong first grade but its the grades below that show a true clubs strengths, surely theres not many good players willing to sit in lower grades when they could be in first grade spots elsewhere?

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)
What is the vikings depth like, its all well and good to say you have a strong first grade but its the grades below that show a true clubs strengths, surely theres not many good players willing to sit in lower grades when they could be in first grade spots elsewhere?

At the moment the depth is quite good with numerous first graders playing twos, as you said though will be interesting to see who sticks around. Would especially be hard on the Canberra/Tuggeranong juniors who have been with the club for years but can't score an opportunity in first grade.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)

Last year we won all grades except for Colts. I think there were about 8 players playing in Viking's Second Grade last weekend who were apart of the 22 which won the Grand Final last year. Also playing Second Grade were Zack Holmes and Scott Sio from the Brumbies, so I'd say the depth is very good. Our Colts also got up over Queanbeyan who have been the benchmark for Colts ages over the years.

Is there a reason only Royals appear to be fielding Brumbies (apart from Colby coming back)?

Dylan Sigg and Tom Cox are on the bench for Uni.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I put this in the Shute Shield thread also since it affects Canberra and Sydney club rugby.

In today's Daily Telegraph (can't find the link but is on page 119) there is a report that the new Sydney Rugby Union president is going to ask Jake White to allow Brumbies players not in the matchday 22 to play in the Shute Shield.

If this was to occur, they would need a very strong case because Jake isn't going to say yes easily. They will be in for a fight that's for sure.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Strongly doubt it'll change - unless of course the ACTRU/Brumbies are financially compensated for having their contracted players sent to a competition outside of their control.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The game between Vikings and Gungahlin Eagles was called off in the second half at 47-7 after Ben McGee from the Eagles suffered a neck injury and was unable to be moved from the field.

Best wishes to him and hopefully it's not too serious.

Other score Wests bt Queanbeyan 41-12

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)
The game between Vikings and Gungahlin Eagles was called off in the second half at 47-7 after Ben McGee from the Eagles suffered a neck injury and was unable to be moved from the field.

Best wishes to him and hopefully it's not too serious.

Hopefully its not to serious and we see him back on the field soon. Ben seems a great Captain and Clubman for the eagles

H

Homer J

The papers say Ben will be ok with no serious damage just some muscle twinge, which is fantastic news.

Also the game was stopped at 55 mins with Tuggies up by 40. This season is looking dire for the rest of the teams. Good to see uni on a role, back to back wins have been hard to come by, hopefully they can keep it going..

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Hopefully its not to serious and we see him back on the field soon. Ben seems a great Captain and Clubman for the eagles

My first year with the club and Ben seems like a real good guy. He's a very good player as well. Glad to hear it's nothing serious as I've heard he's had a few over the last couple of seasons.

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)
Does anybody have a team list for the ACT colts team recently selected, or does anybody know of any players that have made it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.