• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I Dent Cup and ACT competition - 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
JID4.GIF

Teams for John I Dent Cup round 4.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Todays results:

Owls 37 def Eagles 26
Vikings 43 def Royals 17

Still waiting on Easts v Wests but will update when I know but Wests were up 14 - 6 at half time.

L

laps

Easts are a g up - have pulled their 4th grade side and it looks like their 3s will be forfeiting a fair few games (no change from last year). Don't see why most ACT clubs voted to not allow country teams in out comp anymore... (Goulbourne Cooma etc etc)...

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Don't worry, East's are doing everything out of spite, just to annoy the Vikings.

The reason why the country teams aren't playing is because many of the JID sides found it very expensive to hire buses fortnightly for the trips. Vikings, of course, were one club that didn't see this as a problem, or how it could possibly be a problem for the other clubs.

It also split the clubs up, dividing them straight down the middle - this is a pretty big reason why 3rd's and 4th's at East's dropped of dramatically - many didn't want to travel outside of the ACT for matches and then not be able to watch the higher grades.

It wasn't so long ago East's were a regular 4th's grand final contestant. Go figure.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Do you accept paypal?
Is it true the game is 5.30pm Friday against NSW County at Vikings Park?

There are 2 games between ACT Griffins and NSW Country:
Colts at 5:30pm and first grade at 7pm
This is the First grade Griffins team:​
1. Ray DOBSON Wests
2.Pat LEAFA Tuggeranong
3.Nic DOBSON Wests
4.Tom MURDAY Tuggeranong
5. Gareth CLOUSTON Tuggeranong
6.Tim CREE Tuggeranong
7. Joe KOLO Royals
8.James TURNER Tuggeranong
9.Peter RAINES Wests
10.Gus McKERCHAR Wests
11.Jerome NIUMATA Tuggeranong
12.Rodney IONA Tuggeranong
13. Matt HAWKE Gungahlin
14. Andrew BARRELL Gungahlin
15. Darragh FANNING Tuggeranong
16.Sam TAISENI Royals
17. JP PRADAUD Tuggeranong
18. JP FENIKITAU Queanbeyan
19. Sokai TAI Royals
20. Tom MOULDS Queanbeyan
21. Eden CAMPBELL-O’BRIEN Uni-Norths
22. AJ ABEL Royals
23. Mitchell CONNOLLYGungahlin

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Actually, yes. It was something that came up in discussions around the club and the Vikings were happy to keep it as it was. It was voted upon at one of the club presidents meetings last year.

Had it been a tight vote, Vikings 'influence' would have helped push it in their favour, but it wasn't.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Timi isn't playing this season and has been assisting at training.

Reza is back from injury this weekend, and Jimmy Crompton is now on the ACTRU board as well as playing 2nds/1sts.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Certainly not what you'd want, but East's 1st XV played competitively against the Vikings although losing 46-19 - not the whitewash some were predicting.

East's pack was strong, but the backs defensively struggled at some times - it's a relatively young backline and will only get better. Majority of the boys are local, so hopefully these are combinations that can develop over the next couple of years.

Honourable mention to the East's Colts - they played very strongly against Vikings Colts who knocked over defending premiers Queanbeyan. If East's can continue to improve as they have, they will cause some teams trouble later in the year.

Sadly, a new experience, The 3rd grade East's team lined up in the middle of the park to shake hands with their Vikings opponents, only to have 12 or 13 of the 15 ignore them and get into position instead.

Pretty poor attitude and sportsmanship. Reflects poorly on their club and the ethos of Rugby Union.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Sadly, a new experience, The 3rd grade East's team lined up in the middle of the park to shake hands with their Vikings opponents, only to have 12 or 13 of the 15 ignore them and get into position instead.

Pretty poor attitude and sportsmanship. Reflects poorly on their club and the ethos of Rugby Union.

Really?! I don't get the whole lining up to shake hands before a game to start with. As a player, I just want to get on with playing the game.....I'll shake your hand after the battle....

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Well, I've played rugby league and union since the age of 5, and have always shaken hands at the toss of the coin.

Except this match.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Well, I've played rugby league and union since the age of 5, and have always shaken hands at the toss of the coin.

Except this match.

I've always though that this was a schoolboys thing and I've never seen it happen since then.

I've always tried to show sportsmanship by playing the game fairly and I think a ritual shows nothing really.

Shake hands afterwards.

angrydog

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I've always though that this was a schoolboys thing and I've never seen it happen since then.

I've always tried to show sportsmanship by playing the game fairly and I think a ritual shows nothing really.

Shake hands afterwards.
Nothing schoolboy about shaking hands, before or after the game. I was always taught that shaking hands was a manly and courteous thing to do. Only a true meat head would ignore and disrespect somebody who held out their hand to them.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Well, yes - that's the exact feeling here. It's 3rd grade 'social' level rugby - no need to act the hero, or be a dick (dicks) for the sake of it.

Simple gestures of respect go a long way - seeing Steve Moore help up an injured Tah last night was a great example.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Nothing schoolboy about shaking hands, before or after the game. I was always taught that shaking hands was a manly and courteous thing to do. Only a true meat head would ignore and disrespect somebody who held out their hand to them.

I agree with that and if somebody offered a hand shake I would reciprocate. That being said I certainly wouldn't initiate it.

Too me it's an unnecessary bit of frivolity and doing it neither shows your a good or bad sport, your actions whilst playing say that.

But I don't come from a traditional rugby state, so traditions may be different.

Reactions: FTS

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Well, yes - that's the exact feeling here. It's 3rd grade 'social' level rugby - no need to act the hero, or be a dick (dicks) for the sake of it.

Simple gestures of respect go a long way - seeing Steve Moore help up an injured Tah last night was a great example.

I'd probably never turn my back on someone who held their had out to me BUT....I don't care if I'm playing 3rd grade, 1st grade, Super Rugby or for the All Blacks (yep...dreaming I know) I'm not walking on the pitch to make friends - I'm there to dominate the opposition as much as possible......and shake hands and have a beer afterwards if they want :)

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Given, however, when both teams generally meet in the middle of the field and line up and shake hands as the ref and captains do the toss, it's a bad look.

I'd also think it strange if guys started chasing me around the field to shake hands, but this is not the case.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
A couple of weeks ago I was playing in the 2nds and the teams lined up at halfway and started shaking hands - I just didn't line-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.