• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

John I Dent Cup and ACT competition - 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Sadly, a new experience, The 3rd grade East's team lined up in the middle of the park to shake hands with their Vikings opponents, only to have 12 or 13 of the 15 ignore them and get into position instead.

Pretty poor attitude and sportsmanship. Reflects poorly on their club and the ethos of Rugby Union.

You really hold some bitterness towards Vikings, don't you?

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
We play Easts this week and I'm dropping to 3rds (can't commit to trainings anymore).....I won't be lining to shake hands....

Hopefully we have a beer afterwards though :)

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Had my first win of the season on Saturday....geez, it felt good finally!! Also got my first try for the year......let the flood-gates open now!! LOL

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Fairly balanced game for 3rds - Gungahlin were certainly the better skilled/drilled team. Congrats Bullrush.

1st grade was a good contest until the final 10-15 minutes, where the score blew out. It was a bit sad to see Gungahlin go uncontested in the scrums - this killed the game as far as our team was concerned.

Our club certainly lacks depth in the front row, so perhaps it was a legitimate call to go uncontested - that said, it always catches my interest due to timing, as we had Wests do the same earlier in the year to us. Again, we were in a position to win the match on the back of a dominant scrum.

Had scrums continued, Easts could have sprung an upset, but alas, wasn't to be. Our team has a competitive pack, but is lacking size and experience in the backline.

El Jefe

Stan Wickham (3)
Does anybody know who John I Dent was? The only information I can find from google is that he donated the original trophy. So was he just a rich guy with a spare trophy?

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Fairly balanced game for 3rds - Gungahlin were certainly the better skilled/drilled team. Congrats Bullrush.

1st grade was a good contest until the final 10-15 minutes, where the score blew out. It was a bit sad to see Gungahlin go uncontested in the scrums - this killed the game as far as our team was concerned.

Our club certainly lacks depth in the front row, so perhaps it was a legitimate call to go uncontested - that said, it always catches my interest due to timing, as we had Wests do the same earlier in the year to us. Again, we were in a position to win the match on the back of a dominant scrum.

Had scrums continued, Easts could have sprung an upset, but alas, wasn't to be. Our team has a competitive pack, but is lacking size and experience in the backline.

Front row depth seems to be an issue in a few clubs. They tried to get me to play prop when we first started and I had to keep explaining that I had no clue what the hell I was doing in the scrums.....apart from getting absolutley smashed...LOL.

That's only the 2nd game I've played with the 3rds this year - I've been playing the 2nds. Really enjoyed the boys in the 3rds though.....our 10 was a revelation - he mite end up going up to 2nds I think. Did you watch our game??

Are there a few kiwis playing at Easts? I thought there were quite a few playing in 3rds....maybe they just looked like Kiwi's LOL. Good spirit in the game though. I don't know if you know which player I was but if you do, come and say 'Hi' next time and I'll buy you a beer :)

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Are there a few kiwis playing at Easts? I thought there were quite a few playing in 3rds....maybe they just looked like Kiwi's LOL. Good spirit in the game though. I don't know if you know which player I was but if you do, come and say 'Hi' next time and I'll buy you a beer :)

There are a few, but in the team there were more Aboriginals and Torres Strait Islanders actually - we have quite an eclectic bunch of guys. It's great for the vibe of a club ( we had an Irishman, a kiwi, a Samoan, a Fijian, Aboriginals and Torres Strait Islanders as well as your 'normal' Aussies) - its just a pity that due to work/study/laziness, we don't train anywhere near enough.

I have a good idea who you are, will endeavour to play the good host when you guys come to our home ground!

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Tough day at Queanbeyan, with Easts going down 18-10.

The match started off well for the whites, who had plenty of ball and were able to convert that into points.

Easts were able to hit back with a try under the posts and a penalty to fly half Heath Gibb.

Half time scores had the whites in front by 2 (12-10).

Following half time, Easts looked to gain the ascendency, but unfortunately weren't able to convert it to points. Poor line out execution led to a frustrating period where Queanbeyan repetitively infringed and Easts made mistakes or turned over the ball.

The final period saw the Whites pull a couple of penalties and come away with the win.

Desperate defence from the Whites won the day, Easts still looking for an elusive first win for 2012.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Results from the weekend.

Eagles 31 def Queanbeyan 26
Royals 36 def Easts 32
Vikings 72 def Uni-Norths 0

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
Who is currently coaching at Easts this season???
Why are they struggling again this season as I thought they bought in new imports etc.
Who is President?
Would it be an idea to go backwards in order to go forwards by maybe bringing back coaching staff of the past from the 08 teams?
Where are they now?

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Who is currently coaching at Easts this season???
Why are they struggling again this season as I thought they bought in new imports etc.
Who is President?
Would it be an idea to go backwards in order to go forwards by maybe bringing back coaching staff of the past from the 08 teams?
Where are they now?

1. Adam Friend is still head coach.
2. You can bring in 'imports' however a clubs budget ultimately dictates how many or how proven they are. Our imports this year are quite young.
Our Brumbies players were largely not what we needed - we wanted backs, and so we were given four forwards. Hoping the Brumbies might actually look to balance this out. (please note, Jerry Yanuyanutawa and Ben Hand gave been fantastic for us, unfortunately, both are unavailable for extended periods of time).
3. Arch Vanderglas is president.
4. No. Whilst many (myself included) were not happy with what happened after 2008, there was a need for a coach with level 3 ARU certification, and the coaches were not at that standard.
5. Ozzie Osbourne is around town or down at Tuross, not coaching.
John Beath has been at a couple of training sessions, but as his sons play at Queanbeyan and not Easts, he presumably doesn't have much time to spare.

I hope the Brumbies take a good look at the local scene - its become a two tier system with Vikings and Wests out front and the rest below. Not healthy for ACT Rugby.

Easts for one will continue to struggle without:

A licensed club or 'home'.

One of the major schools in its tiny catchment area is a feeder for another club (which has a whole city to develop talent from).

The continued difficulties of being in a tiny catchment area where demographics don't equate to good playing numbers.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Sione has been playing about hlf a game in twos then half a game in ones for vikings, seems to be playing quite well but Vikings have unbelievable depth in the props ranks. Haven't seen tyler much this season but I think he has been crossing the try line a bit.

Who hasn't crossed the line a bit at the Vikings this year?? LOL

strapping

Stan Wickham (3)
why would you play him only half a game of two's was he not earlier in ACT XV squad? what other props do they have?

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
why would you play him only half a game of two's was he not earlier in ACT XV squad? what other props do they have?

In front of him is usually Scott Sio (Brumbies), Mike Noble (Auckland Blues), and JP Pradaud (Aus U20s 2011). Some very handy players.

Status
Not open for further replies.