• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Karmichael Hunt charged with cocaine supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

No. I'm saying that Police are sick of handing over criminal matters to the governing body of whichever sport it is, and having very little done about it.

For reference: Todd Carney.

When has this ever happened?
Are you suggesting police have chosen not to charge athletes because they have handed the matter over to a sport governing body instead?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I support innocent until proven guilty, the court case might take months to resolve, he might still be innocent for all we know.

That been said, cocaine in young professionals in Australia is a rampant issue that has long been overlooked.. I live in the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney and it's the trendy thing for young professionals in the 25-35yr old age bracket to do on a Friday or Saturday night, I don't personally touch it but I have plenty of friends and associates who do.

I often wonder whether the use of cocaine is ignored by authorities due to the demographic in which it appeals to..

I live in the same neck of the woods and I can tell you 35 is not the cut off age.
My impression is Harmichael is collateral damage to the real operation - the Crime Commission are the ones who stumbled over him and they would be frying bigger fish - the sought who don't get summoned/bailed.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Are you suggesting police have chosen not to charge athletes because they have handed the matter over to a sport governing body instead?

This. Surely Police have never done this in the past. And if so, that is piss-weak. If they have evidence against an athlete for criminal offences why on earth would they not attempt to convict them and leave it to the sporting body. Crazy if true.

Having said that, I can understand why Police don't investigate certain claims. Like personal drug-use in an athlete. I think they have bigger fish to fry then spend time on small criminal matters, which may take up a lot of resource to investigate and at best the athlete would receive a good behaviour bond in the court of law.

Supply and trafficing though would certainly be something they would put a lot of resources in, and attempt a conviction.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Whoah, didn't see that coming. Just what the game needs, someone doing something stupid like this.

Well, at least Rugby will be on the back page of tomorrow's paper now...... What Cricket World Cup?

FFS, this is shockingly bad. If he's guilty how about he repays the QRU all his wages and buys every member a jersey on his way out the door..... Oh wait, he can't because he's blown the money up his nose.....

So disappointing for him to be involved in this sort of investigation.

Fuck, fuck, fucking, fuck!

Paul Harris

Frank Row (1)
Silly Hunt...
Red.jpg

T

TOCC

I live in the same neck of the woods and I can tell you 35 is not the cut off age.
My impression is Harmichael is collateral damage to the real operation - the Crime Commission are the ones who stumbled over him and they would be frying bigger fish - the sought who don't get summoned/bailed.

I didn't think 35 would be the cut off, just visit any of the trendy pubs on the weekend and you'll see 2 or 3 people walking out of a stall wiping their nose, some times it's even more blatant with people using their phone screens as the surface to place the lines and then passing it over the toilet wall..Neutral Bay to Manly is another hot spot..

I could hypothesise on why he was charged, and one idea might be that he is indeed a prawn to catch a bigger fish.. Alternatively he may very well be guilty..

For the good of the game I hope not...

T

TOCC

This. Surely Police have never done this in the past. And if so, that is piss-weak. If they have evidence against an athlete for criminal offences why on earth would they not attempt to convict them and leave it to the sporting body. Crazy if true.

The only time where this may be true is back in the 90's and early 00's when the Broncos were given a free license to play up at many of the pubs in Brisbane, all of course rumours but there's been many rumours of Wayne Bennett been called to bail one of his young stars out of prison.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Question for the lawyers on there:
Is it safe to assume that the CCC investigations are a little more thorough than those conducted by PC Bloggs from the local watch house, and as such the dossier assembled for the QLD DPP would be reasonably thorough, and the procedures followed to assemble such would withstand the scrutiny of a shrewd Defence Counsel looking for a legal technicality or loophole to get their client off.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)

Even if you're living under a rock, you still clearly have the ability to communicate via the Internet.

Therefore I assume your ignorance is intentional.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
@HJ - The powers of the CCC in terms of questioning are significant, and in my view an absolute outrage. The powers are designed to allow the CCC to investigate serious crimes, but are being misused mainly for the purpose of gaining evidence in criminal proceedings. They force people to come in, answer questions and essentially waive their right to silence. They seem to be moving towards a trend of going after high profile members of the community, rather than concentrating solely on serious crimes.

The whole thing brings into sharp focus the costs of allowing governments to enact laws for the so called purpose of helping fight crime. What we are left with is the CCC, a law unto themselves using extreme powers to gather evidence against a high profile footballer for what I would imagine are fairly minor crimes.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
The only time where this may be true is back in the 90's and early 00's when the Broncos were given a free license to play up at many of the pubs in Brisbane, all of course rumours but there's been many rumours of Wayne Bennett been called to bail one of his young stars out of prison.

Yeah but that would still be for only drunken disorderly behaviour. Hardly a serious criminal charge.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Perspective please:
It is alleged they arranged for cocaine for personal use or to be passed on to friends or colleagues between June and December 2014
Not trafficking - "passing on" no doubt chosen very carefully by the journo so as not to imply any profit.
During an investigation focused on a cocaine trafficking syndicate operating in South East Queensland, these four individuals were identified contacting the syndicate and arranging for the supply of cocaine,"
The target was a syndicate.
The people charged were collateral to the target.

redveincheese

Billy Sheehan (19)
Regardless of the methods of CCC, Hunt is now F*cked. He has let himself and the fans down with a blatantly stupid act. Cannot see anything but a immediate termination of his contract with the ARU.

Status
Not open for further replies.