• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Karmichael Hunt charged with cocaine supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Gives new meaning to the term 'vice captain'.

But seriously, what a shock. Appears as such a clean-cut bloke, never saw this coming. Innocent until proven guilty and all that, but what should the Reds do?

Certainly he should be stood down from the match this weekend, and stripped of his vice captaincy.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
IIRC the AFL have an interesting approach to managing drug use in their code that is at variance to most other sports that seem to have zero tolerance.

I think they still have a two or three strike policy with respect to recreational drug use, although that may have changed singe the Essendon incident.

Not sure that this is enough to get a spot in @Dismal Pillock's All Time Crims XV.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Gives new meaning to the term 'vice captain'.

But seriously, what a shock. Appears as such a clean-cut bloke, never saw this coming. Innocent until proven guilty and all that, but what should the Reds do?

Certainly he should be stood down from the match this weekend, and stripped of his vice captaincy.

It will be the end of his ARU contract. Ignoring the impending comparisons with Beale, this is a criminal offence without a shadow of a doubt, and a serious one. The ARU will be particularly unhappy if they've put any money of their own into the pot bowl bucket as well.

Reds will need to use some of that freed up cash to grab a fringe squaddie from somewhere.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Hunt and two men and a woman were last night issued their notices to appear in court, with the CCC alleging they “arranged for the supply of cocaine for personal use or to on-supply cocaine to friends and colleagues between June and December last year”.

and this is all after the Jason Smith/Matt Seers arrests

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
IIRC the AFL have an interesting approach to managing drug use in their code that is at variance to most other sports that seem to have zero tolerance.

I think they still have a two or three strike policy with respect to recreational drug use, although that may have changed singe the Essendon incident.

There is a marked difference between "use" and "supply".

The AFL's policy covers player drug testing results. This is a criminal charge relating to supply of a Grade A narcotic.

The news I had yesterday was:

- Potentially multiple Reds players
- Also some Titans (NRL)
- Hunt was the highest profile player once things got a bit clearer
- In past instances the Police may have gone to the sporting bodies involved, but the belief among most of our law enforcement is that the NRL Integrity Commission in particular interferes with the investigations too much and brings its significant media and commercial powers to bear in terms of sweeping things under the rug.

So will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Immediately stood down would be the option Jim Carmichael is considering.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
So are you saying law enforcement choose not to follow these things up too closely because of the governing sports bodies? Pretty big call.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
What a clusterfuck he's gotten himself into.

Now I really hope tomorrow's game is canned due to this weather!

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
I'd say it's highly likely that he's guilty. Cops aren't charging somebody so high profile until they're 100% on their evidence.

Absolute idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.