• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Karmichael Hunt Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Is it really an addiction though? I think that word gets thrown around far too easy these days, especially when it comes to drugs.

I think KHunt, like ALOT of Australian male sports stars, is just plain fucking stupid. I know I’m generalising here but I’ve worked across 3/4 football codes in Australia and had varying interactions with stars from each in a semi regular basis as well as having some for friends, the main theme across all the codes.these guys are fucking stupid.

Obviously there are multiple exceptions to the rule but I don’t think the automatic thought should be to jump to addiction

Addiction and substance abuse issues is too commonly used. If he was a true addict it is odd that he never tested positive in random drug tests, an addict would not be able to control when and where to take their drug of choice to avoid a testing regime. It is an insult to true addicts to refer to him as one. He just appears to be a social user who makes really stupid decisions.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
If Australian Rugby, Australian Rugby League, AFL, Soccer and every other sporting body were genuinely concerned about drugs they would mandatorily test by way of hair follicle sample every player , coaching staff, medical staff, administrator in the game.

I think the fallout would be huge with some high profile persons going down.

T

TOCC

Each club should be running their own in house testing if they want to set a standard which tells the players that drug use is unacceptable. If ASADA testing isn’t enough of a deterrent which is evidentially the case then the Reds should be doing their own in house testing. Karmichael is a dick, but can’t help fee a bit let down by the Reds and QRU, the culture of the club needs to play a part in setting the standards on things like drugs and behaviour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Yes the reason is obvious . TOCC made a spelling mistake in the title of the first thread on the topic. It is impossible to fix so the obvious place to put it is in the Reds thread. To question the wisdom of this is wrong because those making the decisions do not wish to be lectured and secondly if you do question this wisdom you show yourself to be a smartarse, because its so obvious once the spelling mistake could not be fixed that the Reds thread was / is the perfect spot. Actually its quite smart as we can reduce the thread down to five, four Super Teams and the Wols .

Stop being a dick about it. I explained why it can't be corrected, in case you didn't notice, the forum is fucked, and it isn't getting fixed. So no, the spelling could not be corrected by me, and it seems no-one else could either. As I stated earlier, someone could start another thread, with the title not all fucked up if they want. Feel free. If you can spell it correctly. Stop whining about it.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
If Australian Rugby, Australian Rugby League, AFL, Soccer and every other sporting body were genuinely concerned about drugs they would mandatorily test by way of hair follicle sample every player , coaching staff, medical staff, administrator in the game.

I think the fallout would be huge with some high profile persons going down.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/cousins-shaved-down-to-beat-drug-test-20100826-13u6u.html THE scepticism that surrounded Ben Cousins' arrival for a pivotal drug test in 2008 with a newly shaved head has proved to be well founded, with the retiring star confirming he did it because he was terrified of failing. Cousins, in the final instalment of his Such Is Life documentary shown on Channel Seven last night, revealed he had been paranoid about the test, which can detect illicit drug use in the previous three months. He was determined the test would be negative.

T

TOCC

In isolation, the drug itself is quickly metabolised and the effects are fairly short-acting. Of course, individual experiences will differ, but there is a good reason why its use is so prevalent among performance athletes - for most, the effects go quickly and they get back to training / playing quickly enough. But it is seldom used in isolation - often with alcohol in reasonable quantity which actually causes significant changes in the metabolic process, and different metabolites are detectable in blood and urine. Some of these are thought to be more damaging longer term. Quite a few studies have shown a pretty short term of impairment with it alone, especially when not cut with all sorts of other substances. But it is usually cut with other stuff to boost the profit margins. So, its a complex issue in many ways. I don't question your experience at all, but I think there is a spectrum. I'm not defending its use - it is illegal, but it is not necessarily analogous to other drugs like alcohol, cannabis etc...

Drugs may be metabolised from the system, but the physiological effects take much longer.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Drugs may be metabolised from the system, but the physiological effects take much longer.

You're spot on. If you're going on a bender with coke, you're going to be feeling the fallout from the adrenergic effects of the drug for the next few days after you finish using. It's not nearly as debilitating as an alcohol-induced hangover is but you absolutely feel the impact on your nervous system for the following days - or at least that's what a friend of a friend has lead me to believe.

This isn't even to comment on any of the other behaviors which tend to accompany cocaine usage amongst Australian sportspeople and the compounding effect this can have on their fitness.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/cousins-shaved-down-to-beat-drug-test-20100826-13u6u.html THE scepticism that surrounded Ben Cousins' arrival for a pivotal drug test in 2008 with a newly shaved head has proved to be well founded, with the retiring star confirming he did it because he was terrified of failing. Cousins, in the final instalment of his Such Is Life documentary shown on Channel Seven last night, revealed he had been paranoid about the test, which can detect illicit drug use in the previous three months. He was determined the test would be negative.

Easy solution: Take a hair follicle from the pubs or anywhere else. If total body hairless suspend automatically. If players know the rules on hair follicle testing then no problem. Don't think there would be too many guys running around totally hairless - bit too suspicious

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Addiction and substance abuse issues is too commonly used. If he was a true addict it is odd that he never tested positive in random drug tests, an addict would not be able to control when and where to take their drug of choice to avoid a testing regime. It is an insult to true addicts to refer to him as one. He just appears to be a social user who makes really stupid decisions.
Yeah, would have thought the most likely scenario is he's a guy who like taking cocaine when he's out of competition, so won't fail a drug test, and on a couple of weeks holidays from training, so won't be impacted at work.

Still the most idiotic thing I've heard in while

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Each club should be running their own in house testing if they want to set a standard which tells the players that drug use is unacceptable. If ASADA testing isn’t enough of a deterrent which is evidentially the case then the Reds should be doing their own in house testing. Karmichael is a dick, but can’t help fee a bit let down by the Reds and QRU, the culture of the club needs to play a part in setting the standards on things like drugs and behaviour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Under the CBA and RA drugs policies, only the national body can undertake drug testing. Clubs and franchises are specially forbidden from conducting them themselves

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
Hunts' actions brought it into the conversation - if you don't want to talk drugs tell the boys to stop getting busted with drugs

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think when people on G&G don't like when conversations veer in a particular direction strongly (like scholarships on schoolboy rugby threads, or this drug issue) people often say 'lets talk about something else' - but they really need to PROVIDE the conversation.

For example, if I was to say something like 'gee, the Reds could use a big physical hooker like Paenga-Amosa starting next season. Ready wasted his chance' that will get a reaction. As oppose to 'what do ya reckon about our hookers?'.

The best way to start a new conversation is to provide the content yourself.

BE THE CHANGE YOU WANT TO SEE IN THE THREAD!

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Here you go, since it was too hard for anyone else to start. Logged on remotely to a work computer on a different platform, downloaded a different browser that is less fucked, made a new thread and wasted half an hour moving shit, despite partly fucked functionality.
Any further talk in the Reds thread will be deleted.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Here you go, since it was too hard for anyone else to start. Logged on remotely to a work computer on a different platform, downloaded a different browser that is less fucked, made a new thread and wasted half an hour moving shit, despite partly fucked functionality.
Any further talk in the Reds thread will be deleted.

Genuine Thank You for the effort, no wise cracks.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
The whole idea of blame in these situations is easy to do.

KH was beyond foolish, more than likely on his last warning, and me thinks he was told at times about his past.

I have no idea but is it a mental illness, the actions of a spoilt brat who wants his own way, the actions of someone who sees themselves above the law, its near impossible to get inside his mind.

I have no doubt he is punishing himself today, and consider how let down and sad are those that love him and care for him must feel.

He has let down, himself, sport in general rugby specifically, his family, sponsors etc.

He has cough cough cough stood down from QR.

At some point a life's decision and well wang bam all that you know is lost.

I hope he can recover and move on to something else and not slide down a greasy pole.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Well Karmichael certainly sounds remorseful.

He will lose a dhitload of noney, reputation further sullied, future up in the air all for one reason - he was caught !

It will be interesting if he fights the charges.

T

TOCC

Under the CBA and RA drugs policies, only the national body can undertake drug testing. Clubs and franchises are specially forbidden from conducting them themselves

National body as in RA or ASADA?

If that’s the case then RUPA and RA need to have a hard long look at themselves. Especially with cases like Karmichael where he has had a drug history, he should have been on a targeted testing scheme where he had an additional number of tests each year.

Hindsight i know, but it’s up to RA and the Reds to protect their brand from fuckups like these.

Status
Not open for further replies.