• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Karmichael Hunt Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Here you go, since it was too hard for anyone else to start. Logged on remotely to a work computer on a different platform, downloaded a different browser that is less fucked, made a new thread and wasted half an hour moving shit, despite partly fucked functionality.
Any further talk in the Reds thread will be deleted.

Appreciate you efforts cyclopath.
I would have started another thread, but was told by another mod that they are sick of extra threads in the forum so I let it be.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Well Karmichael certainly sounds remorseful.

He will lose a dhitload of noney, reputation further sullied, future up in the air all for one reason - he was caught !

Nah, being caught is merely the trigger. If remorseful it might suggest he knows he pulled that trigger himself.

A bit of blow might not be the worst thing in world but it will still, effectively, be the end of his rugby union career.

The reasons are multi-fold, IMO. Not the least being how far the Reds went out on a limb last time to save Hunt as a signing. He will poison the well for the next crop of players coming through and I think Thorn knows that's the priority. He's probably got a year's grace to build something there even though it won't be a stellar season in Brisbane. I won't try and trot out the "it looks bad" line because the QRU and Rugby Australia don't care too much about that; they already know they look and smell like shit anyway.

As for Hunt himself, a few people are saying he's a great player. He ain't that. He's a good player, especially at the level of the Reds, but doesn't stand out much higher than that. Just re-use his salary.

He'll get another payday as a thirty-something player back in the NRL, tout de suite.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Dear me. Better judges than me (or you) reckon he is better than average at the national level. Phil Waugh, for one.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
National body as in RA or ASADA?

If that’s the case then RUPA and RA need to have a hard long look at themselves. Especially with cases like Karmichael where he has had a drug history, he should have been on a targeted testing scheme where he had an additional number of tests each year.

Hindsight i know, but it’s up to RA and the Reds to protect their brand from fuckups like these.
RA can do them outside of the official ASADA tests, clubs/franchises can't.

Obviously I don't know, but I'd imagine he has been tested regularly since the last time, and passed without issue - if they follow their own procedures. He was on a monitored target testing program

But he didn't think there would be any issues with a late December session while on holidays (without the police turning up at the wrong time). If they are doing urine, then pretty unlikely to have failed unless tested in a pretty short time

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Is it possible that the cocaine was on the other guy, and when the cops came along the other dude dropped it on the ground? is it possible that Karmichael was unaware that the other guy had it on him in the first place?

Is it possible me that this is the narrative that is used to make this whole mess go away for Karmichael?

T

TOCC

Obviously I don't know, but I'd imagine he has been tested regularly since the last time, and passed without issue - if they follow their own procedures. He was on a monitored target testing program

But he didn't think there would be any issues with a late December session while on holidays (without the police turning up at the wrong time). If they are doing urine, then pretty unlikely to have failed unless tested in a pretty short time

An organisation I worked with had the power to test even on holidays and weekends, and used those powers for the very reason of people thinking they wouldn’t be caught during those periods.

As for players being offended, well they represent a brand and sponsors and get paid very well for doing so, out of season random testing should be an expectation of being a professional athlete.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Dear me. Better judges than me (or you) reckon he is better than average at the national level. Phil Waugh, for one.

Present and past players are the worst judges of talent, Wamb. Too many personal connections to those being judged (their mates) to be able to form an impartial view. According to any single ex-player, nearly every current player is a Wallaby in waiting if not one yet. A generalisation, but I would trust an outsider's view more than Waugh's or Matt Burke's or others of that ilk.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Thing with random testing is that cocaine and meth only are detectable for about 24 - 48 hours (as I understand). Therefore a player would have to be a real dumbass to get caught on a urine sample. Only other way of getting sprung is with physical evidence.

Hair follicle is about 3 months. If the Authorities were serious about drugs in sports follicle testing would be the mandatory.

Anything less is a joke (if they really are serious)

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
RA policy:-

*In-competition testing as per WADA
*Out of competition is stricker than WADA as it includes illicit drug testing
*Random urine tests when players are assembled for employment duties
*Targetted testing (basically those who are being managed, or who are under reasonable suspicion)can be done anywhere and anytime
*Hair tests can be done for targetted testing but not random testing

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Interesting little clause for Hunt's case.....

Cleansing Period - In the event that a Player has committed a Violation and has fully
complied with the requirements imposed upon them for that Violation and has not committed
a further Violation within 24 months of the prior Violation, then that previous Violation shall
be deemed to have lapsed and shall be struck from that Player’s record.

T

TOCC

RA policy:-

*In-competition testing as per WADA
*Out of competition is stricker than WADA as it includes illicit drug testing
*Random urine tests when players are assembled for employment duties
*Targetted testing (basically those who are being managed, or who are under reasonable suspicion)can be done anywhere and anytime
*Hair tests can be done for targetted testing but not random testing

Policy is one thing, following though with those guidelines and implementing them as they are designed is another thing altogether.

Had Karmichael been regularly targeted for testing throughout the past 12 months, including hair follicle testing i doubt he would have been so brazen to be taking cocaine over Christmas.

No i’m not suggesting it’s the ARU’s fault, but there are question marks over how serious they are about the drug issue in sport.

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
the forum is fucked, and it isn't getting fixed.

gest12_zps33aac891.gif

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Interesting little clause for Hunt's case...

Did Hunt have a violation under the RA code? His initial incident was when he was an AFL player. I know that WADA violations cross over, but as far as I understand he didn’t have a WADA issue as otherwise he would have had a mandatory ban. Not sure how that grey area applies to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: dru

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
Did Hunt have a violation under the RA code? His initial incident was when he was an AFL player. I know that WADA violations cross over, but as far as I understand he didn’t have a WADA issue as otherwise he would have had a mandatory ban. Not sure how that grey area applies to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He accepted an ARU violation even though he was not under contract at the time. WADA wasn't involved

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2016/02/05/karmichael-hunt-suspended-for-six-weeks-and-fined-30000

T

TOCC

It won’t matter, this new event alone will be enough to sack him, and so he should be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
See Andrew Webster in today’s SMH: he reckons Harmichael was drunk wrestling with a mate when police broke it up. A packet of white powder was on the ground.
If that’s all they can prove he’s a chance of beating it.

Status
Not open for further replies.