• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Kiwi hate vibe is marring World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
i dont like the booing of other teams at all. Booing of decisions or a call that goes another way fine, but instead of expressing a negative, why not just cheer your team and politely golf clap the opposition.

it just seems stupid to boo for the sake of being negative, when you wouldnt be at the game unless you enjoyed watching rugby.

A

antipodean

They obviously feel threatened by the Wallabies but the reaction of the public is really distasteful and its making me rethink the way i view Australia's relations with New Zealand.
Good grief some of you have the emotional resilience of a wet scotch finger biscuit.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I can't comment on the general behavoir of the kiwi fans because im not over there. But one of the things that has disappointed me as a television spectator is that at both games we have played, there has been a lot of booing of our team. The majority of the crowds are New Zealanders so it is quite clear that the majority of the New Zealand fans are booing the wallabies and cheers for their opposition.

Fans can support whoever they want but I know if the world cup was in Australia, I'd be supporting the All Blacks in their games, because they are our tran-tasman brothers. I have always viewed our countries as allies, who have fought together, and live together. My kiwi neighbours are always welcome in my town. So I'm really disappointed that our so-called tran-tasman brothers are supporting countries like Italy and Ireland, instead of us. I truly expected some genuine support from our neighbours rather than hostility.

They obviously feel threatened by the Wallabies but the reaction of the public is really distasteful and its making me rethink the way i view Australia's relations with New Zealand.

The point being BDA neutrals in most countries will support the underdog. Funny my daughters partner in NZ was just telling me he found all a bit confusing, he having a ball with everyone, and he joins supporting underdog whenever Wallabies aren't playing, and says he still waiting to get all this hate from kiwis. (I betta get daughter wound up huh). Him and nephew(also an Aussie) have got a wallabies corner in local rugby club for duration of cup.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Good grief some of you have the emotional resilience of a wet scotch finger biscuit.

Fair go, antipodean, BDA is just stating his position. I kind of agree. I don't hate NZ; I'm sure many of my countrymen feel exactly the same to NZ as most Kiwis do to us - love to see them lose. But I'll cheer for them if we go out. But BDA has another view. Doesn't mean he has no emotional resilience. Maybe it's a more emotionally mature view than spite? Who can say?

A

antipodean

Fair go, antipodean, BDA is just stating his position. I kind of agree. I don't hate NZ; I'm sure many of my countrymen feel exactly the same to NZ as most Kiwis do to us - love to see them lose. But I'll cheer for them if we go out. But BDA has another view. Doesn't mean he has no emotional resilience.
New Zealanders supporting the underdog is making him rethink the way he views 'Australia's relations with New Zealand'. I mean, c'mon, talk about hyperbole. This isn't New Zealand throwing in its lot with the Japanese in WW2 ffs.

My view is support whoever you god damn please, but your support shouldn't be conditional on it being reciprocated.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
New Zealanders supporting the underdog is making him rethink the way he views 'Australia's relations with New Zealand'. I mean, c'mon, talk about hyperbole. This isn't New Zealand throwing in its lot with the Japanese in WW2 ffs.

My view is support whoever you god damn please, but your support shouldn't be conditional on it being reciprocated.
Nice counter-hyperbole!
I don't expect reciprocation, but I equally don't feel the need to follow the herd and go on about Quade the filth, Richie cheating, ABs choking and talking hate, as some do from both sides. I think all BDA was saying was that he had a different take on it.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Is that how it works? Stu Wilson has a cry about something so now every one else can?

Nobody really cares about him having a moan. The point is that this sort of shit slinging on the site is getting boring, neither kiwis or aussies have a mortgage on it, and I think pretty much everyone has had a gut full. If that's how you feel, great, go have a few beers on the strength of it, but you need to equally respect that others have a very different take on it. There is no right or wrong in the argument, which is probably why this thread has dribbled on for 7 pages.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
fantastic marketing.

Kiwis make peace offering to Wallabies fans
Georgina Robinson
September 22, 2011 - 6:17PM

Australian fans will be offered free coffee in Wellington tomorrow in the lead up to the clash against the USA> Photo: AFP
A clever Wellington coffee company wants to mend Australian bridges and make a name for itself along the way by offering "abused" Wallabies fans a free coffee tomorrow.

The people behind Mojo, a coffee roasting company based in the New Zealand capital, say they read the coverage of hard done-by Australian rugby supporters and wanted to do something to help.

"Like [World Cup boss] Martin [Snedden] says, we reckon it's out of character and quite frankly we don't expect any of that kind of carry on in Wellington tomorrow," they said in a statement from the company.

Advertisement: Story continues below
"Because we like you Australia. Not just because you spend an average of about $617 per minute in our city, (although we'd be lying if we said that doesn't help), but because everyone needs good neighbours and we reckon Aussies are a bit of alright."

Australians will be converging on Wellington tomorrow ahead of the Wallabies clash with the USA tomorrow night.

The company, which has four shops in town (details below), is offering one free cup of coffee per Australian before midday.

Customers claiming Australian-ness will have to submit to an "accent test": [It] will involve a highly unscientific barista analysis of your pronunciation of 'fish and chips' and/or 'six'."

Australian fans complained of being spat on and abused when the Wallabies slumped to a shock defeat against Ireland in Auckland last weekend, identifying New Zealanders, not travelling Irish fans, as the culprits.

Australia and New Zealand have always enjoyed a healthy level of sporting one-upmanship but Snedden said it would be uncharacteristic if it had crossed the line into outright hostility.

The home fans' rancour towards Australia has been partly fuelled by New Zealand-born Quade Cooper's presence in the Wallabies' team, particularly as he has a reputation for needling the All Blacks' revered skipper Richie McCaw.

The Wallabies are also seen as perhaps the main obstacle to the All Blacks' hopes of breaking a 24-year World Cup drought, explaining the unrestrained glee with which many New Zealanders greeted Australia's 15-6 loss to Ireland.

All Blacks assistant coach Steve Hansen admitted he was enjoying Australia's discomfort but said the historic rivalry was tempered with respect.

"I mean we've gone to war and fought shoulder to shoulder," he said yesterday.

"They're probably looked upon as the big brother and we're the little brother, we want to belt them, they want to belt us.

"So if they're suffering a bit at the moment, the little brother will be smiling and chuckling away won't he? So we'll enjoy that while we can."

However, TVNZ presenter Alison Mau, an Australian who moved across the Tasman in the 1990s, said she had never seen such vitriol against her homeland.

"For the first time, I feel there might be a bit more to it that just good fun between mates. It worries me," she told today's New Zealand Herald.

"The worst sledges (insults) are generally fuelled by alcohol and are both unprintable and not worth the ink."

She attributed the animosity to New Zealand's inferiority complex about Australia, which is both richer than its neighbour and has long enjoyed sporting ascendancy, including winning two Rugby World Cups to New Zealand's one.

"In economics and in sport, we -- and I mean kiwis -- feel like the junior version and it doesn't sit well with us," she said.

"On top of that, the Aussies are second only to the Americans for supreme self-confidence, and that can wear thin after a while."

A survey published in the lead-up to the World Cup found Australia was the team New Zealanders least wanted to win the tournament if the All Blacks were eliminated.

The Wallabies polled 33.8 per cent on the survey of 750 people, almost doubling the next least-popular nation South Africa's figure of 18.6.

Mojo outlets in Wellington:

- Wakefield (Cnr Wakefield & Taranaki Sts)

- Waterfront (33 Customhouse Quay)

- Old Bank Arcade (Old Bank Arcade, Lambton Quay)

- Mojo Origins (180 Lambton Quay)

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/r...labies-fans-20110922-1kmsp.html#ixzz1YfwVy9wu

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
My mate's favourite chant against the Kiwis sung to Coming Round The Mountain is "if it wasn't for the Aussie's you'd be Japs" I reckon that'd make em think twice about free coffee - maybe free fuckoffee.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
First heard it by poms in France - if it wasn't for the English you'd be Krauts.

The amusing thing about that is that a lot of Aussies do indeed have German connections anyway (including myself through a Grandmother). Infact I would respond with the chant "I'd rather be a Kraut than a pom, better looks, better brains, better food, better beer...." got to stop that chant could go on for pages & I'm engrossed in the Rugby Club.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)

I suppose iv always watched international rugby from a NH vs SH view point. I enjoy watching the Boks or NZ beat the northern hemisphere teams. Maybe im one of the few Aussies out there that was actually planning on supporting the All Blacks against the French this weekend. I guess i was optimist thinking that we wouldn't be booed by the locals. I'v always just found booing teams poor form, particularly at events like Olympics or world cup.

I'm not making a big deal of this. I didn't set up this thread. but there is a reason the thread was started. I never said this is nothing more than a Media beat-up. The only observation i wanted to voice is that I personally have been shocked that the majority of New Zealand fans at the games have booed our team. I find that poor form against any team. There is a difference between supporting an underdog and booing a teams. I haven't observed it in other games at the world cup. It seems, and i might be wrong about this, to be directed specifically at our team more than any other team. If i'm truthful with myself I suppose my initial react was "I expect a little more from our neighbors"

But as you say, who gives a fuck right. Fans can do what they want...

A

Army_Gav

My mate's favourite chant against the Kiwis sung to Coming Round The Mountain is "if it wasn't for the Aussie's you'd be Japs" I reckon that'd make em think twice about free coffee - maybe free fuckoffee.
I like it. I'm very disappointed in the Kiwis, not dishing out some clever chants of there own.

Status
Not open for further replies.