• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Kiwi hate vibe is marring World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
I suspect you don't realise what you are missing Mutton, Aussie has some truly incredible scenery, but as a very large country who doesn't push tourism the way NZ does, I doubt many people - even Aussies - realise the staggering variety of wilderness here.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
OK guys, BOTH countries have nice wilderness. Must we compete about every little thing?

Well, for my part wasn't competing. I know how great Kiwi scenery is, I have seen almost all of it. Was just putting it up that most folks assume Aussie is a desert, when in fact some of the sights here are incredible.

Edit - re the Lake, I bet it isn't a super-volcano though BarBar! Apparently if Lake Taupo blew up again (something it could do any time) there'd be a 10M deep ash fall for 200km in every direction, ~ Palmerston North to Hamilton. A crazy amount of the Kiwis power would be stuffed (all the hydro plants), and the vast majority of their North Island farming production.

whatty

Bob Loudon (25)
I'm not sure about Australia but Kiwis don't generally have this relationship with other countries and as such the banter/abuse is not so apparent, even though it should be in the case of France.

The pom bashing is certainly on a higher level!!!! I have never understood why?

M

Muttonbird

It's The Ashes, bodyline (Australia's underam incident), etc, and the patronising sneer Englishmen indulge in when referring to Australia. NZ is too insignificant to warrant baiting by the Poms.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The England vs Australia relationship from an Australian perspective is much the same as the Australia vs New Zealand relationship from an NZ perspective. England is like the big brother that we always want to be better than.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
The England vs Australia relationship from an Australian perspective is much the same as the Australia vs New Zealand relationship from an NZ perspective. England is like the big brother that we always want to be better than.

Yeah, that is how I rationalise it too.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
One of the All Blacks stomped one of the english into the ground at the 1995 RWC. The english are still trying to dig him out.

EDIT: snap on fatprop

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He still has a lump.

MikeCatt_1199648.jpg

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
When I went there 23 years ago, stayed with my mates' family who were terribly hospitable but horrendously condescending (they really kept referring to Australia as "The Colonies", and meant it!!) I had to be shut up by my mate constantly. Awfully polite, but awfully superior too. These days I'd laugh and give it back to them.
In any event, I'd rather see NZ win something than England, any day day of the week. Including this world cup, once Australia conspire to fuck themselves up right out of it!

Oops, realised I took Whatty's post all wrong - sorry!

Richo

John Thornett (49)
The Pom bashing one confuses me a bit but I now justify it because I can't stand Chris Ashton.

I can't wait for him to go for one of his swan dives and drop the ball. I'm hoping it's in the final, but I'd settle for semi or quarter.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I can't comment on the general behavoir of the kiwi fans because im not over there. But one of the things that has disappointed me as a television spectator is that at both games we have played, there has been a lot of booing of our team. The majority of the crowds are New Zealanders so it is quite clear that the majority of the New Zealand fans are booing the wallabies and cheers for their opposition.

Fans can support whoever they want but I know if the world cup was in Australia, I'd be supporting the All Blacks in their games, because they are our tran-tasman brothers. I have always viewed our countries as allies, who have fought together, and live together. My kiwi neighbours are always welcome in my town. So I'm really disappointed that our so-called tran-tasman brothers are supporting countries like Italy and Ireland, instead of us. I truly expected some genuine support from our neighbours rather than hostility.

They obviously feel threatened by the Wallabies but the reaction of the public is really distasteful and its making me rethink the way i view Australia's relations with New Zealand.

Status
Not open for further replies.