• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Kiwi hate vibe is marring World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
anyone remember "hadlees a wanker" chants at the cricket

...but on another note i wish someone would send stu wilson away to be the rugby correspondent in some far off country for the duration of the cup....
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10753355

Thanks for that tb. Fascinating that Stu Wilson now declaims Richie McCaw as 'the prize jewel of rugby', period. Quade has dared to touch the jewel, that is the problem according to Stu via the NZ Herald. And our own NFJ is thus held in the highest esteem for his critique of Quade:

"Anyone that touches the prize jewel in rugby - which at the moment is Richie McCaw - you start pissing around like Quade Cooper has done and you have to accept the consequences in this country."

McCaw is set to make his 100th All Blacks appearance against France this weekend. Wilson says McCaw is key to the team's chances, as shown by his "phenomenal" winning record - he has won 54 of his 62 matches as captain (87 per cent).

He added Cooper could expect "raspberries for the whole tournament" if he continued with his antics.

"If he doesn't know that, and the Australian Rugby Union doesn't know that, they are dumber than I thought they were.

"The only person who has come out [against Cooper] is Nick Farr-Jones - and he is a World Cup-winning captain for Australia."

Wallaby great Farr-Jones, who lifted the Webb Ellis trophy in 1991, last week labelled Cooper a "boofhead" and a "dope" over the incidents.

He cautioned that constant pestering of the All Blacks captain could come back to haunt the Wallabies.

While Cooper chose to take Farr-Jones' comments in a "positive manner", Wilson is having none of it.

"You just don't piss with the crown jewel. Not over here, not in our back yard!"

da_grubster

Ted Fahey (11)
you can probably put it down to a number of things why a very small minority incidents have been publicised - Aus being NZ's big brother, fear of Aus winning it and being our most feared opponent, quade cooper acting like a petulant little twat, the reception dole bludging NZers (i.e. all of them) get in AUS, NZ being fairly insular when it comes to rugby, NZers being poor drunks, the underarm, Phar Lap, Split Enz, Aus trying to give back Russell Crowe to the kiwis (That one really hurt btw), Pavlova, Aus public school rugby tourists being exposed to the NZ game which embraces all of the class systems, especially working class... just to name a few.

The answer is probably in there somewhere....

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Outside of Auckland I have had no dramas on the trip. Especially in Canterbury they seem grateful for every visitor they get. In Auckland it's another story. Some, and by the looks of them mostly the unemployable, are going out of their way to make it uncomfortable for Aussies.

Most of it is just harmless booing or "you suck" comments as you walk past but others have deliberately walked into me or tapped me on the shoulder and started pointing fingers for no other reason than that I was wearing the gold. Coming here on my own, I'm an easy target so had to expect it.

But from the NZ tourism point of view, that sort of shit was a PR disaster waiting to happen, and it's happened now. Even yesterday, as part of a Tourism NZ campaign I had one of my holiday pics from Mt Hutt of the Southern Alps posted to the Rugby World Cup facebook page and most of the comments were from Kiwis bagging out the Wallabies. The comp is meant to showcase NZ as a tourist destination but all any Kiwi seems happy to do is sit on facebook and bag out other countries rather than getting out into their own backyard and taking some great shots. There's not one pic from Fiordland up there yet. Sad state of affairs really.

I must say it was hilarious to read the Radiosport guy Miles Davis saying how'd he'd seen the Anti-Aussie sentiment around the country. No shit -that wanker's been stirring most of it up on his radio show.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. I've been here many times before and will be back again. I recognise that "World Cup Fever" has taken hold in many the All Black Fans' pysche. Others may struggle to recognise that though.

And yes, that is my Wallabies flag laid out in front of New Zealand's amazing Southern Alps in my Avatar pic....

Logorrhea

Stan Wickham (3)
It's the sports equivalent of all the character assassination drivel we're treated to in political reportage. It shits me. Report on the games, the fitness of players, the strategy, etc. Do player profiles, by all means, but why play up and promote the one or two ugly things when there are hundreds of better stories to write about?
Sums it up for me.

This thread is all about painting the New Zealand fans in a bad light. It ignores the majority and focuses on the extreme minority.

I have been to France, England, Scotland and Wales, for a mix of international or club games. Ive been out in Dublin when England came to croke Park for the first time. Passions were running particularly high, but I witnessed the English fans being well looked after (though its always easier after a win).

Ive been to Mordor (Thomand Park), and seen Leinster win and lose against Munster through the past four years. Ive seen the accusations fly about how Leinster fans did this, and Leinster fans did that but Ive never seen anything nasty from either set of fans. Similar shite to this.

Incidently, funny how this only happens after a teams supporters have been defeated in a shock loss, and is nearly always limited to internet forums such as this.

Was at Toulouse when we lost in the Semi two years ago, I still remember the pidgeon english conversations with the French fans all around us. Hand shakes, jersey swapping, good wishes all round. Brilliant stuff. Ive been lucky enough to see the Clermont fans come to the RDS and the Aviva. Ive seen the Ospreys beat Leinster in the RDS.

All the time the fans have mixed, results have varied, drink has been a consistent, yet nothing has happened. The spirit of Rugby is well and good up here.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
not for the first time.....nor the last during this RWC: Growden seems to revel in the fact that the Kiwi media hate him...they're well justified

Actually Growden was on RadioSport on Saturday morning. They seem to quite like him and his "gossip" stories.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
This thread is all about painting the New Zealand fans in a bad light. It ignores the majority and focuses on the extreme minority.

Meh, the threads all right, most posts are pretty balanced, the SMH article which is quoted in the OP is crap. No surprises there. Slow RWC news morning.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I actively avoid watching rugby with Kiwis. They're an awesome bunch of people ... until the rugby comes on. Then they tend to lose their senses of humour and perspective. This is especially a problem when they're a 120kg Samoan Kiwi. The only other group that I find annoying are the part-time English fans who only come out of their hole when the Poms win something.

I reckon South Africans get the rugby spirit better than anyone - I've only ever had laughs with them, no matter how hard core a supporter they are.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
A Kiwi fan said:
As well, the fans were well aware that an Australian loss would make the All Blacks' path to the final a lot easier as we did not have to beat both South Africa and Australia as was the case prior to that game.

That's one helluva of a fan. He hadn't even seen the draw!

You know, I get the Kiwis wanting Australia to lose, I get them supporting the underdog... But I don't get them wanting their only semi options to be Australia or South Africa. Wouldn't they have been praying for Ireland to knock off the Bokke and give the All Blacks an easier semi?

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I actively avoid watching rugby with Kiwis. They're an awesome bunch of people ... until the rugby comes on...

After one of the Bleds last year -- so a game THEY won -- I had a roided-up Kiwi challenge me to chin-ups. He was very, very aggressive about it. It was... weird. I think the problem might have had more to do with the roids than the Kiwi-ness though.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
This forum is a pretty small sample size, and to see all those complaints... It appears to be not an isolated problem. (it could be, but I wouldn't have expected so many complaints just from people on this website who have seen this thread).

In which case, this media attention is good. Hopefully the police get ontop of rugby violence.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Logorrhea,

You are missing a big part of the point. New Zealand weren't involved in the Ireland vs Australia contest, so why did new zealanders come out to abuse Australians? Where does the hate come from?

Larno

Ward Prentice (10)
What happens between fans for the game's 80mins should stay at the sidelines, much in the same way that what happens between players on the field should stay on the field. It should all be forgotten about/apologised for afterwards in the name of good times for everyone.

The average Ulster game at Ravenhill will be accompanied by a great chrous of feral howls and sledging from the home fans on the terrace directed at all and sundry (very guilty of this myself!), but the moment that final whistle goes, it all stops in the name of celebration and drowning sorrows together. As it should be.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
This thread is just about to fall into one big heap of national generalisations, stereotypes and shitslinging.

Let's pull back from that please gentlemen or there'll be cards from here on in

Status
Not open for further replies.