• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Kiwi hate vibe is marring World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duncher

Herbert Moran (7)
I was over there on Saturday... Found it reasonable, certainly nothing physical, just good banter. If you're going to give it you've got to be able to take it

Ryphon

Allen Oxlade (6)
On a couple of occasions I've picked up this vibe from NZ fans during Force games. Definitely more so than Force vs Aus or SA. Hopefully it was just a case of running into the minority bad eggs. I suppose every fan base has them though.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
It's the sports equivalent of all the character assassination drivel we're treated to in political reportage. It shits me. Report on the games, the fitness of players, the strategy, etc. Do player profiles, by all means, but why play up and promote the one or two ugly things when there are hundreds of better stories to write about?
Couldn't agree more Richo, even this thread was started with Gav asking anyone who has copped abuse to come in here, and then says he talked to someone who talked to someone who was hit for wearing Irish jersey. Pity we not talking about rugby.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
I notice France has now got the hot seat for NZ taunts for putting up an inferior side to play the AB's as theywant to lose & stay in the Northern European half for the finals.

We Aussies can all have a break

A

Army_Gav

Hi all.
You have a few bad cases, but IMO their pretty Isolated.
I was at the Tri-nations match last year in Melbourne with my brother and when we jumped up in celebration of an All black try, a Wallaby supporter puched him in the back of the head and said 'f@#k off back eweland you c@#t'. Yea it was a bad experience but im sure 99% of wallaby supporters are fine. Im not gonna stop goin to games in oz for one incident. It would be lame of me if i did.
What a dickhead. Must of been a Collingwood supporter.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I watched the RWC 2003 mainly in Melbourne, so it was interesting in that the people I often went to the pub to watch with were not rugby supporters. Went to a few games. Aus - Ireland (topical) and we had a great time going hammer and tongs with Irish fans, but all a big laugh really. Wore my Wallabies jersey to NZ - SA and most fans from both sides just wanted to know who I was backing. All good natured. Watched the Aus v NZ semi in a pub, bunch of Kiwis in front, one of who absolutely went feral on me when I cheered loudly after Mortlock scored. My Melbourne mates were gobsmacked at the abuse. Watched the final in a pub with about 90% Aus fans, the rest English, including a good mate. Great atmosphere, everyone sharing beers after the game, no aggro at all.
Conclusion - mostly it was great with 1 dickhead. I think people remember the dickheads more clearly, and a small number can spoil anything. I think most true rugby fans are not like this. Probably overblown, the whole thing.

A

Army_Gav

Couldn't agree more Richo, even this thread was started with Gav asking anyone who has copped abuse to come in here, and then says he talked to someone who talked to someone who was hit for wearing Irish jersey. Pity we not talking about rugby.
They weren't someone, they were my mates.

I should add I was really blown away by the hospitality I experienced in NZ over the weekend. Had a nice chat to a Kiwi/Tongan & a Samoan/Kiwi when out for lunch.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
you get feral kiwis, you get feral aussies, you get feral poms....there's a few in every country.
By and large they are the vast minority of minorities and from everything I have heard before this article and from friends over there, the whole tournament and the hospitality have been absolutely first rate.
sensationalist journalism and pointless.
very mungo - trying to create a conflict where there isn't one.

U

Utility Back

^^ I might suggest because if it is for any reason occurring to regularly it needs to be addressed with better police or security presence.
NZ is a lovely country hosting a great tournament, so it would be a shame for the occasion were to be tainted because of a minority of dick heads.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Saw nothing of the sort in Welly. Although I'm sure there were many dickheads doing stupid things all over the place.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Hi all.
You have a few bad cases, but IMO their pretty Isolated.
I was at the Tri-nations match last year in Melbourne with my brother and when we jumped up in celebration of an All black try, a Wallaby supporter puched him in the back of the head and said 'f@#k off back eweland you c@#t'. Yea it was a bad experience but im sure 99% of wallaby supporters are fine. Im not gonna stop goin to games in oz for one incident. It would be lame of me if i did.[/QUOT

Welcome to the forum. Shame about what happened to your mate.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Yep Mr Timms, but look at first page of this site and tell me the anti AB thing isn't here too.

Well, yes, G&GR is firstly a Australian rugby website. I don't think anyone would expect it to be anything but pro Wallaby, and anti (to a reasonable point) all of our opponents.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I find it a stupid response to say this is bad journalism and the reason it's come up is crap.

I witnessed it, I know other people that witnessed it, the people quoted in the article witnessed it.
There is an underlying current of hatred, I can tell you that as I witnessed it, I'm angry about it and I find it stupid and beyond acceptable.

I have witnessed dickheads and I don't accept there behavior whether it be from someone from my own country or someone else's.
The incidents I witnessed where not an individual but groups and collectives that not only found these actions funny, acceptable and needed but joined in or fired up if someone tried to stop them.

To call it a minority is one thing, but to sweep it under a rug and ignore it's happening is to condone it. If itisnt acceptable to the greater majority of NZs then they should be the first stepping in to calm there fellow countrymen down and point out the stupidity and shame associated with the behavior on display.

If it's acceptable for the incidents I saw, then in four years time, will it be more acceptable, does it escalate, do we end up with old school soccer riots where your not just required to cheer your team but land a couple of blows as well. That's not a port I want to follow, nor do I want future generations. The smart thing is to talk about it without causing histerior and then deal with it right now so it doesn't happen again, not to shrug the shoulders, say it's others fault and leave those involved to feel like there heroes.

Status
Not open for further replies.