• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Kiwi hate vibe is marring World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well, yes, G&GR is firstly a Australian rugby website. I don't think anyone would expect it to be anything but pro Wallaby, and anti (to a reasonable point) all of our opponents.

I agree Sandpit, but are they suggesting rooting anything but a kiwi, I got no problem with it, but it doesn't indicate anti all your opponents.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Lets face it we can all be dickheads at times. But I have a theory that may hold some water. Perhaps the Kiwis think we just might have a team that could beat them. Of course that team would have to turn up! But it's worth discussing.

Roundawhile

Billy Sheehan (19)
Hey I know this is a rugby discussion but...
You only have to look at the way politicians now talk to each other and show absolutely no respect for people or standards or history, is it any wonder that western culture is degenerating into an "us and them" mentality.
I went to every game at Suncorp during the 03 RWC (I was a volunteer) and the atmosphere before during and after every match was amazing. I never witnessed anything that I would consider untoward, quite the opposite.
Seems a bit sad that rugby is slowly following the other codes into a lowest common denominator situation.

A

antipodean

Anyone been subject to abuse?
Another supporter told the Herald there were patches of real meanness at Eden Park during the Australian game against Ireland.

"A Kiwi, dressed in Irish green, shouted to a group of Australian fans, 'It's not mardi gras you f---ing poofters,'" the unnamed fan said.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/rugby-unio...g-world-cup-20110921-1kkc8.html#ixzz1YZJCGbfT
If that story from the 'unnamed fan' is to be believed; the more likely version is an Irish' supporter, dressed in Irish green'.

Someone commented on one of my blog posts (can't remember who) that after the Irish game they were pushed down a set of stairs and now have to spend the rest of their NZ trip on crutches. Lovely
Again, what's more likely:
  1. Person pushed down stairs,
  2. Person accidently bumped and falls down stairs, or
  3. Person, pissed out of their scone, falls down stairs?

My mates ran into an Irish bloke on Friday night, who had been randomly punched in the nose by a group of Kiwis for wearing an Irish jersey in the Auckland CBD.
While random assaults do happen, I find it exceedingly unlikely someone was punched in the face for wearing an Irish jersey.

My wife, who is Australian and has attended three RWC matches so far with me, has expressed her surprise at the reporting of this. Rugby in New Zealand is as close to a national sport as it has. As such its supporters include representatives from all rungs of society in sufficient numbers that it is statistically likely you may bump into an inebriated arsehole.

I won't bother trying to even the ledger by chronicling the anti social behaviour and outright abuse I have witnessed at rugby games by Australians, suffice to say every circus has its clowns.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
In defence of the kiwi's, at least they can serve stubbies and cans at games without fear of them being used for violent purposes. Wish we could do that in Australia instead of watered down mid strength in a shitty plasic cup that breaks mid drink.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
I was in Auckland on Friday-Saturday-Sunday, and I have to say the hosts were brilliant. Kiwis were saying how the Wallabies deserved to be favourites- I don't agree, but it showed they weren't all as one-eyed as people make out-, they were making conversation and asking about the QLD floods- not a bad word. The home fans were undoubtedly supporting the Irish at Eden Park, but otherwise they were very gracious and welcoming.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
In defence of the kiwi's, at least they can serve stubbies and cans at games without fear of them being used for violent purposes. Wish we could do that in Australia instead of watered down mid strength in a shitty plasic cup that breaks mid drink.

Except at the Mungo tests that opened Eden Park last year when they were thrown on the field.

I honestly thought that was the end of it, glad it wasn't...

Sent from my phone

Richo

John Thornett (49)
WJ, no one is saying you didn't cop "hate" or whatever you want to call it, but an article headlined "Kiwi hate vibe is marring the cup" and containing a handful of anecdotes is hardly quality journalism. Sure, report on it, but try not to go for the hysteria angle.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Why am I starting to suspect this is a troll thread and perhaps we have someone coming in with multi log ins? I left before, suddenly remembered an answer to one of my replies came back from wrong person, it has been fixed now Are WJ ans AG one and the same person??

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
antipodean - it happened mate, i witnessed it, i walked away, but i witnessed it.
as i said in the other thread, its not just new zealanders, but it was evident that where i was on saturday that there were large pockets of NZs with a chip on there shoulder that used saturday night as an excuse to be vile, disgusting and cross a line. i pointed it out in the game thread and im on here to say good on people for ringing up and talking about it.

as i said, i dont want it in my country, i dont want it in others, i merely like to enjoy a game cheer my team on with everything i have then enjoy a beer with people of any country after woulds while gloating in my teams victory or blaming the ref for there loss. it isnt to much to ask and the dickheads responsable should be brought to account so it doesnt become the norm.

da_grubster

Ted Fahey (11)
While I am not in NZ I think this is being blown out of proportion by a media deflecting the Aus loss.

I have been to a number of Aus-NZ sporting events in Australia and the special brand of 'humour' from a lot of aussies can get pretty disgusting. After all, you did invent 'mental disintegration'.

No country is whiter than white in this regard but a lot of the stuff being reported will happen at virtually every rugby match around the world

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/r...-to-australian-rugby-fans-20110921-1kknx.html

A Kiwi apology to Australian rugby fans
September 21, 2011 - 2:28PM

Rugby rage ... at least one All Black fan has been ashamed by the antics of his compatriots. Photo: Reuters
We apologise!

The vast majority of Kiwis highly value our Aussie visitors and we apologise for the boofheads (to borrow a Aussie phrase) who have been unpleasant to your visitors to the World Cup. Good natured ribbing is to be expected as any Kiwi knows when in Oz (I have heard all possible variations of sheep jokes in my time) but clearly some of our fans are way out of line.

I was at the Australia–Ireland game and to most of the Kiwi fans it was about supporting the underdog when NZ is not playing, exactly as many Australians do when at home and Australia is not playing. As well, the fans were well aware that an Australian loss would make the All Blacks' path to the final a lot easier as we did not have to beat both South Africa and Australia as was the case prior to that game. Also, anyone who has seen the latest Quade Cooper incident with [All Blacks captain Richie] McCaw will admit it is not a good look and no rugby fan from any country likes to see an incident where a man is defenseless on the ground so it is hardly surprising that the fans are not on his side.

Advertisement: Story continues below
All the minor teams have had what many overseas commentators are saying is the best welcome ever and the only sour note to date has been the treatment of Australian fans. I can say the vast majority of Kiwis deplore any negative behavior, we deplore those who indulge in it and I can assure you that every effort is being made to make our cousins welcome to NZ.

Mark Wilson

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Why am I starting to suspect this is a troll thread and perhaps we have someone coming in with multi log ins? I left before, suddenly remembered an answer to one of my replies came back from wrong person, it has been fixed now Are WJ ans AG one and the same person??

Waratah Jesus and Army Gav?

You're having a Turkish, mate.

da_grubster

Ted Fahey (11)
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/r...-to-australian-rugby-fans-20110921-1kknx.html

A Kiwi apology to Australian rugby fans
September 21, 2011 - 2:28PM

Rugby rage ... at least one All Black fan has been ashamed by the antics of his compatriots. Photo: Reuters
We apologise!

The vast majority of Kiwis highly value our Aussie visitors and we apologise for the boofheads (to borrow a Aussie phrase) who have been unpleasant to your visitors to the World Cup. Good natured ribbing is to be expected as any Kiwi knows when in Oz (I have heard all possible variations of sheep jokes in my time) but clearly some of our fans are way out of line.

I was at the Australia–Ireland game and to most of the Kiwi fans it was about supporting the underdog when NZ is not playing, exactly as many Australians do when at home and Australia is not playing. As well, the fans were well aware that an Australian loss would make the All Blacks' path to the final a lot easier as we did not have to beat both South Africa and Australia as was the case prior to that game. Also, anyone who has seen the latest Quade Cooper incident with [All Blacks captain Richie] McCaw will admit it is not a good look and no rugby fan from any country likes to see an incident where a man is defenseless on the ground so it is hardly surprising that the fans are not on his side.

Advertisement: Story continues below
All the minor teams have had what many overseas commentators are saying is the best welcome ever and the only sour note to date has been the treatment of Australian fans. I can say the vast majority of Kiwis deplore any negative behavior, we deplore those who indulge in it and I can assure you that every effort is being made to make our cousins welcome to NZ.

Mark Wilson

SMH are scraping the barrel here.

Status
Not open for further replies.