• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Kurtley Beale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
So Beale would know who the third party is, if true. The hearing should either make him say who it was, or hold him responsible for it. No-one should get away with that text.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
So Beale would know who the third party is, if true. The hearing should either make him say who it was, or hold him responsible for it. No-one should get away with that text.

Well if they were also using the same carrier service - particularly on employer-supplied equipment - technically they're in the shit.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Froggy, I have no problems with the players privately supporting their friend. I have no problems with them giving a character witness. I 100% support the notion that a good friend will support someone at the worst time. What's more, I feel that rugby union still has a duty of care to Kurtley Beale who has been in the system since he left school.

However, I have a problem that several players sole public comment (that I am aware of) was to support the retention of Beale without any acknowledgement of his wrong doing. They should have either very specifically stated they did not condone his actions or refrained from commenting.

What he did was demeaning to women, and was insulting and hurtful to the victim. As far as I understand it was illegal under laws relating to Discrimination and Harassment. I would have thought it was an offence worthy of automatic dismissal (however I am no lawyer, so if that is wrong happy to be corrected).

It is entirely inappropriate for players to make public comment, stating they wish for him to be retained, without any acknowledgement of his wrong doing. That is not the sort of character that I want representatives of the Wallabies to display.

And, with regards to rugby's duty of care, I feel the entirely appropriate thing for rugby to do at this time is to draw a line in the sand and sack Kurtley on the basis that he needs to learn to be accountable for his actions.

I then think it is the role of his friends to make him realise that this is the case too.

After all Froggy, while you supported your friend, you still appear to be at least understanding that it was appropriate for him to go to jail for what he did. IMO the best friends are willing to tell a friend when he is out of line and help him straighten out.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Well if they were also using the same carrier service - particularly on employer-supplied equipment - technically they're in the shit.

You'd hope so. A "forensic" investigation of Beale's phone would show who sent it, rather just that Beale allegedly didn't.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
However, I have a problem that several players sole public comment (that I am aware of) was to support the retention of Beale without any acknowledgement of his wrong doing. They should have either very specifically stated they did not condone his actions or refrained from commenting.

That would be prejudicing the outcome and not saying anything is not a wise tactic. There's a clear difference with what Hooper said and what Foley said. Like you mentioned, Hooper supported the retention of Beale which is not the same as supporting Beale which is all Foley did.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
That would be prejudicing the outcome and not saying anything is not a wise tactic. There's a clear difference with what Hooper said and what Foley said. Like you mentioned, Hooper supported the retention of Beale which is not the same as supporting Beale which is all Foley did.

Foley's comments though were somewhat misguided when he hoped Beale would get a "just hearing". To me that raises more questions about what Foley thinks about this process. That has nothing to do about standing by a mate.

Foley could have quite easily said, "Beale is a friend and a teammate. There is a process playing out, therefore any further comment would be inappropriate at this point"

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Foley's comments though were somewhat misguided when he hoped Beale would get a "just hearing". To me that raises more questions about what Foley thinks about this process. That has nothing to do about standing by a mate.

Foley could have quite easily said, "Beale is a friend and a teammate. There is a process playing out, therefore any further comment would be inappropriate at this point"

Depends on context. Justice is a hard thing to come by in a legal system. If Foles is saying "he'll live or die by his actions" then that's different to implying he's been unfairly maligned.

Note to the peanut gallery - I have not seen Foley speak these words. And context is difficult in newsbytonia.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yeah. If he had a script, and was as erudite as you. Let's face it - journo in your face is different to a prepared statement. Try it sometime. It's not fun.

And yes I know from personal experience it's no fun when journos are trying to back you into a corner, but when do Wallaby's go into media situations unprepped?

I don't know what the circumstances were of Foley's encounter, but I don't think this was an ambush.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Yeah. If he had a script, and was as erudite as you. Let's face it - journo in your face is different to a prepared statement. Try it sometime. It's not fun.
Surely you can't believe that he was blindsided about a question relating to Kurtley? Give him some credit. The journo wasn't there to ask him his favourite colour.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Pfitzy all the media that has been done by the ARU, players, coaches has all been prepped though. There hasn't been the camp outside KBs house or the lets wait in the driveway moments. It appears Foley has been contacted and an interview organised. They are afterall trying to promote a tour also.

M

Moono75

Cant believe this thread has got to 122 pages....bllllaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!

Status
Not open for further replies.