• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Kurtley Beale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I am somewhat gobsmacked that Hanson and Patston can be confused - nowhere near each other in contact list (unless one or both have nicknames that are close together in the alphabet).

This is something that I had been wondering. The best I could come up with is the nicknames. Hansen's nickname is Chibba. You don't have to be a genius to come up with what Beale might've used as a nickname for Patston that would be similar to that in a contacts list.

The more innocent explanation though, that I'd prefer to believe is that he thought he was typing 'Di' in as the caption to the picture but was actually typing it into an address field or something.

Both monumentally stupid. Neither would surprise me.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
A few observations on WhatsApp

1. Some deleted messages can be recovered by uninstalling and re-installing the app.
2. It is possible that messages are archived in the iCloud despite being deleted.
3. There are discreet entries for each message in a conversation with time and sender shown.
4. Participants in conversation will be identified by name (if in contacts) or number. It is possible to put someone else's name with a number but just drill into contacts to uncover this.
5. I have iPhone and Nokia Windows - on neither am I able to forward a WhatsApp message (happy to be enlightened if possible).
6. To send an image you must identify contact - I am somewhat gobsmacked that Hanson and Patston can be confused - nowhere near each other in contact list (unless one or both have nicknames that are close together in the alphabet).

Just to add - while you can't forward a message, it's very easy to forward a picture contained within a message. The original contact details of the sender of the picture does not appear in the new recipient's message

Also only 7 days of of backup files are stored on the phone, so if a message was deleted more than 7 days ago, it will not be recoverable. If Whatsapp is backed up to the cloud there may be more records available.

Muglair

Alfred Walker (16)
Spieber said:
6. To send an image you must identify contact - I am somewhat gobsmacked that Hanson and Patston can be confused - nowhere near each other in contact list (unless one or both have nicknames that are close together in the alphabet).

Thanks for that. Then I think we go back to WS statement that it was an MMS message. I think Beale's evidence was that he accidentally sent to DP because the numbers were similar.

That sort of makes sense. He just joined the team and probably did not have everyone's phone numbers in the phone memory.

:)Obviously I would blame the ARU for this not providing everyone with some neat easy to download phone list. Bet they wished they had!

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
Just to add - while you can't forward a message, it's very easy to forward a picture contained within a message. The original contact details of the sender of the picture does not appear in the new recipient's message

Indeed. But surely forwarding picture is basically the same as initiating it.
NB But I think we are dealing with an MMS (old technology that costs money?)

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Thanks for that. Then I think we go back to WS statement that it was an MMS message. I think Beale's evidence was that he accidentally sent to DP because the numbers were similar.

That sort of makes sense. He just joined the team and probably did not have everyone's phone numbers in the phone memory.

:)Obviously I would blame the ARU for this not providing everyone with some neat easy to download phone list. Bet they wished they had!
I need to check but are you suggesting that Kurtley punched Hansen's number in manually, got it wrong but the wrong number was actually the Wallabies Team manager??

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
Apparently there is a second trial for the plane incident now! And all reports seem to suggest that went something like:

DP: Change the shirt kurt.
KB (Kurtley Beale): Fine (under breath - bitch)
DP: Do I have to bring up the texts?
KB (Kurtley Beale): I don't care anymore. Sick of being blackmailed.
Bunch of others: Alright settle down

Next day: texts revealed, DP flies home, takes compassionate leave and quits. EM drives her to the airport, spends the next 2 weeks worrying about her being alone on some crazy stress meds then quits too.

Texting trial resulted in $45K fine. Plane trial seems to be the same ground again. Just happened to be the tipping point where they were revealed. What's the point? Issue is resolved.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
I need to check but are you suggesting that Kurtley punched Hansen's number in manually, got it wrong but the wrong number was actually the Wallabies Team manager??

And no doubt this aspect would have been tested at the hearing - they may have ARU issued phones that had sequential numbers (otherwise huge cowinkydink).

T

Train Without a Station

Apparently there is a second trial for the plane incident now! And all reports seem to suggest that went something like:

DP: Change the shirt kurt.
KB (Kurtley Beale): Fine (under breath - bitch)
DP: Do I have to bring up the texts?
KB (Kurtley Beale): I don't care anymore. Sick of being blackmailed.
Bunch of others: Alright settle down

Next day: texts revealed, DP flies home, takes compassionate leave and quits. EM drives her to the airport, spends the next 2 weeks worrying about her being alone on some crazy stress meds then quits too.

Texting trial resulted in $45K fine. Plane trial seems to be the same ground again. Just happened to be the tipping point where they were revealed. What's the point? Issue is resolved.

Sick of being blackmailed?

Blackmail doesn't align with Beale's impassioned plea not to share the messages with Link and above.

He happily got into the situation with the hope of avoiding the consequences.

It appears his error was assuming somebody would enforce their original agreement as part of the apology.

Muglair

Alfred Walker (16)
Scoey said:

That is what the news site Slim referenced said; or actually it said he confused the numbers. Might have been running off a recently used number list?

None of it still makes sense though. Allegedly the forensics proved that the one image was sent twice so unless he sent it three times and the 3rd time he sent two images. Or the second time he sent two images, sent one a third time and went back and deleted the second text? That is a stretch I think.

Alternatively we are relying on journos to correctly report what was in the evidence on a technical matter or a 3rd party description to them of the evidence. Then we are all collectively going back past go and returning our $200.

I am not going to discuss this anymore. It is doing my head in, and I also think it is not a good idea for us all to go bumbling around speculating. Lets leave the bumble and fumble to Growden and Pulver :)

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)

He's also implying the ARU are at fault for not having an easy download version (for multiple platforms on different phones) of everyone's number.

Then again, maybe, just maybe, Beale could not have sent the message to begin with. And then sent it a second time.

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
Sick of being blackmailed?

Blackmail doesn't align with Beale's impassioned plea not to share the messages with Link and above.

He happily got into the situation with the hope of avoiding the consequences.

It appears his error was assuming somebody would enforce their original agreement as part of the apology.

I'm oversimplifying the convo deliberately. Point is the plane incident seems by all accounts to have been about the texts which have been dealt with so what's the point of the 2nd trial?

Muglair

Alfred Walker (16)
Ash said:
He's also implying the ARU are at fault for not having an easy download version (for multiple platforms on different phones) of everyone's number.

Fair go Ash, I even put a smiley face against it

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Have a look at ninemsn sport rugby - as I mentioned over a 1000 posts ago, let's be careful that it doesn't become a different topic.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I would rather bet that the contact names were similar. I doubt many 20-somethings would have Hansen's number stored in their phones as 'Hansen, James'. It would be in there as Chibba. When the lawyers worked out how KB (Kurtley Beale) had confused the 2 ('i' is right next to 'u' on a keyboard), they would've edited the contact name straight away. Pure crazy speculation, but far more plausible.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Ok, now I am more confused. I thought several articles had definitely stated Beale's phone had been forensically examined. I thought several articles had said Pulver was looking for the second phone (Patston's presumably). I guess these articles must have unreliable.

The wording in most articles has used MMS, Text and Whatsapp interchangeably.

Whenever getting into detail on Beale's 'forensics' though, I have only ever read about his Whatsapp account and his phone bill.

I've not read anything about searching the hard disk on his actual phone. Does anyone have it? If not, it seems we are relying on a web whatsapp record and a single MMS record on the 9th.

I thought the tribunal had cleared Beale of sending the second image.

From the Australian today:

But because the tribunal was not able to establish that Beale was responsible for this image, it stopped short of following what is understood to have been the Australian Rugby Union’s advice to it that it tear up his contract. Beale indeed claimed to have been “vindicated” that the evidence presented to the tribunal did not establish that he had been the author of this second image.

From what Smith says, its accepted that he sent the second image, just not that he was the author of it.

If it was so easy to crop the identity of the writer off the second image before it was sent why wasn't the tribunal aware of this and wouldn't they have questioned Beale on this and been less definitive in their statement.

I must be reading between the wrong lines.

Good question for the Tribunal that. I don't think any of the tribunal members were telecommunications experts. The only "forensic expert" I've heard about at the tribunal was supplied by Beale's management.

Even from 40,000 feet Peter Fitzsimmons spotted this in the Fitz files on the weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.