• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Kurtley Beale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
My criticism is simply and entirely about the Tahs' fans putting their collective heads in the sand about Beale and still wanting (overwhelming it seems) him to stay with the Tahs next year even though his presence in any teams looks to be the poison chalice.

From a Tahs perspective, what evidence is there for this at the Tahs. He was great on the field in 2014, had no off field issues and got on swimmingly with the coach.

His previous time at the Tahs also was fine from a discipline perspective.

I'd agree that it seems his presence at every team EXCEPT the Tahs looks to be a poison chalice.

As for next year, I can't see him playing rugby in Australia next year. If he started 2015 the same way he started 2014 by knuckling down at the Tahs on a one year contract with Cheika watching over him, I wouldn't really have a problem with it.

I don't think it has anything to do with a head in the sand attitude. I firmly believe he is done with the Wallabies and that his behaviour was disgraceful.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Seriously, Jim Tucker........ what a fluffybunny:

As an Aboriginal kid, Beale would also know the hurt that can be caused by “highly inappropriate and deeply offensive” comments or images.

That is the allegation levelled over certain text messages and images he sent to Wallaby teammates in June that referred to female staffer Patston.

“Just having a joke” was a defence in the 1970s but never in this politically over-sensitive century.

This brings us to Plonker Pete.

Brisbane MP (Moana Pasifika) Peter Dowling plonked his penis in a glass of red wine and texted a picture to his mistress in 2013. He’s still got his job.

Will Beale be so lucky? He’ll likely cop a fine and a ban because of his rap sheet but has to be big enough to wear it and still recommit to the NSW Waratahs and Wallabies.

Sadly, the tribunal will only deal with this narrow issue not a team management restructure.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...gement-structure/story-fni2g0wi-1227085664105

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I do wonder what this means for Hooper's captaincy, it's been ordinary on field and the off field is looking pretty bad, with the worst of this having happened after he took over. Doesn't solve the problem of who takes over, with none of the current leadership group covering themselves in glory. Ridiculous as it may seem we could very well see Quade as captain by the eoyt.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
At the time, there were many posts by Tahs' fans here lauding the fact that Beale had been selected at 10 against the ABs, and pointing to the (perceived) fact that he had indeed played first receiver for much of the Tahs' successful run to the S15 title. Many posts (maybe from the same few posters) actually thought he was a better option than Foley.

Never, in my wildest nightmares, did I think Beale deserved to play 10 for the Wallabies and never did I think he was a better 10 that Foley in a team sense as well as in individual skills. I was hyper critical of Link at the time for making the change and I raised the issue that he was painting himself into a corner from which he couldn't extricate himself if the gamble in Bledisloe 1 went sour, as it did. No way was he going to be able to revert to Foley at 10 for Bledisloe 2 without having so much egg on his face that he would have lost a whole heap of credibility. So Link certainly brought some of the shit on himself simply through his poor selections concerning Beale. But until there is evidence that he was involved in some sort of cover up of the text messages and images, then it is misplaced to say the least to be calling for his head. At the moment, Beale is the one in the gun sights, and rightly so for his behaviours.
You like to paint in broad strokes, going on the vibe of how you recall things.
I just went through the 1st Bledisloe thread and the announcement of Beale at 10. To whit:-
Pfitzy (Tahs) - in favour of Phipps / Beale at some time against Arg or SA
KOB (Tahs) wanted him on the wing
Braveheart (Tahs) conceded he played 1st receiver a lot so maybe it made sense - closest I could find to a Tahs fanboi on the thread!!
Inside Shoulder (Tahs) - NO
a mutterer (Tahs) - uneasy about it
Cyclopath - not confident
Seb V (brumbies) - maybe OK
TWAS (Qld) - not a fan but probably "not a disaster"
Fatprop (Tahs ) - "Faark!"
disco (Qld) - liked it
BDA (Qld) - a bit meh
Barbarian (Tahs) - not convinced and why wasn't he tried against the French if this was the plan

and so on.........

So no, there were not "many posts by Tahs' fans lauding it". It was mostly met with disagreement and questioning, with a few ambivalent and very few opinions outright in favour of it. And most of those were not Tahs fans.

Muglair

Alfred Walker (16)
One interesting issue here now is that we are moving to a place where someone is going to have to assess whether all employee/employer relationships are the same and that an employee in the Wallaby squad is subject to the same laws and practices as your local NFP.

I can't imagine the circumstances where KB (Kurtley Beale) stays in rugby or that this whole saga somehow ends well. Pulver may come to regret rushing out the offensive text story. Only defence that comes to mind is that he is already mounting a defence on another front.

Problem is that then applying workplace laws to Wallaby players as well becomes difficult. I am guessing that a good workplace lawyer could also make an excellent case for Beale. I don't see him as that type of guy but he may think pursuing it is for the greater good of his team mates and future Wallabies. Might be a helpful test case for professional sports at large.

BTW when I suggested amateurs I did qualify it somewhat. Agree that we do not need the ambitious timeserver and politician who worked his way up through the ranks like any other politician.

There are some seriously good operators out there in ex Wallaby land. Although one of them seems to have his fingers all over the current management structure he might have done the job better himself with some lesser paid quality managers looking after the day to day. Everyone is overpaid and there are too many of them.

While the players are just receiving their global market worth the sad fact is that they cannot generate value for their employers equal to salary costs. SA and NZ players are apparently paid less but also have additional status etc in countries where rugby is the #1 sport. Maybe we need some private benefactors to balance the books. A shame that so few self made zillionaires spent their formative years hanging around rugby clubs and drinking beer.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The offending text/s appear to have been sent to the wrong person, or have been forwarded beyond the originally intended addressees.

How many of them actually thought it was funny, witty or "acceptable" in an adolescent "back of the bike sheds" manner?

The chaps who "watched" the Skype sex at ADFA got in some trouble, didn't they? Not nearly as much as those who set it up but they were in strife none the less.

Will the Code of Conduct Commissioner's cross hairs end up on the actions of the persons within Club Wallaby who received the offending messages?

As they strive to excise the cancer, the scope creep could rival the Painters and Dockers Royal Commission.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's clear now what the team needed............

1399208030907.jpg-620x349.jpg

;)

Rugby Mum 2

Bill Watson (15)
The way the ARU has handled this matter is a complete and utter debacle. Pulver should have knocked this on the head when it happened two weeks ago. This has snowballed so ridiculously.

Whatever your views are on Kurtley, he does have the right to a defence. Sending a photo of a fat chick that is not actually her is unkind and stupid but is it a hanging offence? I bet all of you have sent things you wished you hadn't.

Ewen McKenzie needs to be questioned on some extraordinary accusations of missing compulsory team dinners and training sessions as head coach while dealing with her personal issues. FFS, he is the coach of the national Rugby team.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
We didn't use to have to deal with this shite when we had well intentioned volunteers like the venerable "Fud" Templeton at the helm.

Maybe that's because the players only came into camp a couple of days before the games.

Tours were different of course. But nothing untoward ever happened.

And if you believe that, I can sell you some shares in the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
Maybe that's because the players only came into camp a couple of days before the games.

Tours were different of course. But nothing untoward ever happened.

And if you believe that, I can sell you some shares in the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

Stuff no doubt happened - but it was dealt with effectively!

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The way the ARU has handled this matter is a complete and utter debacle. Pulver should have knocked this on the head when it happened two weeks ago. This has snowballed so ridiculously.

Didn't we go over this a few pages back?

ARU management only found out about the text messages on Tuesday night.

Whatever your views are on Kurtley, he does have the right to a defence. Sending a photo of a fat chick that is not actually her is unkind and stupid but is it a hanging offence? I bet all of you have sent things you wished you hadn't.

It is unkind, and it is stupid, and in a professional environment such as this it constitutes as workplace bullying.

So yes, it is a hanging offence......... particularly with his record.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
It is unkind, and it is stupid, and in a professional environment such as this it constitutes as workplace bullying.

So yes, it is a hanging offence... particularly with his record.

From the reports it sounds an awful lot like the players aren't a fan of Paterson - like few employees are of micromanaging pedants (and yes a complaint about a T-Shirt on a pre-dawn flight to a country that's never heard of rugby is being a pedant) and to be honest I can only see it hurting the Wallabies if he's hung out to dry for this.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
From the reports it sounds an awful lot like the players aren't a fan of Paterson - like few employees are of micromanaging pedants (and yes a complaint about a T-Shirt on a pre-dawn flight to a country that's never heard of rugby is being a pedant) and to be honest I can only see it hurting the Wallabies if he's hung out to dry for this.

I find it puzzling that people can hold the opinion that he's been "hung out to dry".............

Whatever else that was going on in the team does not excuse his actions.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)

Well yes, but that is not what happened. Are you unaware the going on around this story is known or are you deliberately misrepresenting what occurred?

You don't want Beale hung out to dry but appear happy for that to occur to Patston.

Status
Not open for further replies.