• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Kurtley Beale

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

I'm leaning against the players at the moment. Why? They appear to resent a change in the way things operate. It wasn't exactly working that great before that so it's likely changer was needed.

SammyP

Chris McKivat (8)
Pathetic, juvenile, disrespectful.

3 words I would rather not associate with someone representing my country.
Yet words that describe Beale's actions to a tee.
I have had enough of him.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
Here's something that doesn't fit.

Patston is allegedly some disciplinarian demanding too much from the poor players who just wanna earn their $10k, get drunk and fight.

In June she obtains a piece of evidence that would end Beale in a heartbeat (and potentially a few other players). Does not act. Accepts apology. Moves on.

Players still concerned about her role to the point Beale has airplane incident.

How does this make sense? That text is a smoking gun. It ends careers and opens the ARU up to all sorts, yet she does nothing. Surely, acting on this sort of stuff would be exactly what the players take issue with, yet she doesn't pull them up on it.

Somehow can't help but think the players whinging comes down to her name being Di and not Dan.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)

And his teammates who received the message & said nothing?

Patston would've been in very early days working with the team, and the first female to hold the role. Welcome to the Wallabies.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)

The 4th word you left off is illegal.

The words on that text message took all this to another level.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
This little summery of all the media on it for the past twelve months was posted on the roar:

It's a list of mistruths and gossip posted by a random former on another site trying to pass it off as facts............

We'd do a lot better in trying not to spread this rubbish.

The worst part is that they've listed Beale's text messages as "just a joke"..........

Anyone who shares this opinion (that includes you Jim tucker) should give themselves an uppercut............ with a set of knuckle dusters........... wrapped in barbed wire.

SammyP

Chris McKivat (8)
And his teammates who received the message & said nothing?

Action needs to be taken against them too. Their lack of action also shows a total lack of respect. Plus if they concealed an act like this ... In my opinion they are guilty too.

T

Train Without a Station

In my uneducated view she's done Beale a massive solid in June. Had something that with his record, or possibly without it, could have him punted and has, apparently, not taken it any further. Probably thinks he's not a horrible person and shouldn't have it all end over one stupid mistake. Being knew wants to get the teams trust.

Suddenly when Beale gets heated on the plane decides that he's not as good a bloke as she thought and well, "fuck him".

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I'm still struggling to see how the ARU management are still really at fault and such a shambles.

The most balanced article written to date is, shockingly, a News Ltd article. Thanks to @cat_a for the link, here it is again for those who didn't bother to read it the first time:
http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby/...by-kurtley-beale/story-fndpt9s1-1227087653405

Here's how it goes to me:
- a few players don't like Patston (particularly after an incident from last year)
- Beale sends some stupid, indecent, offensive (and sackable) messages, including one accidentally to Patston
- Beale apologises to Patston, which probably saved his job at that time
- months later, Beale and Carter get told by Doyle (on Link's instruction) to change into the correct team shirts, both comply, but one makes a snide comment back
- Patston snaps back at Beale, and a heated exchange takes place
- Patston now forwards the texts to the ARU, no doubt no longer accepting Beale's apology
- AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Hooper approach Link to intervene on Beale's behalf

So far, we've had what's now been ridiculous (and many not factual) articles from Fairfax impugning Patston and supporting the players. We've had rumours of a relationship between parties who are both married, again supporting the players.

What's apparent to me now:
- Beale is gone, and deservedly so
- the ARU better hope that Patston doesn't sue, because she has a fucking great case
- the Fairfax "journalists" involved, especially Rupert Guinness and Georgina Robinson, have been lowered Greg Growden level in my eyes, despicable

What has me saddened is that it appears that the players don't like authority. I am also worried that a bit of sexism is involved.

What's even more depressing is the lengths some fans here will go to attack and destroy all and sundry when, at the end of the day, Occam's Razor holds.

Right now, I don't blame the ARU. I don't blame Link. I blame a self-entitled group of highly paid spoiled players who need to grow up.

T

Train Without a Station

Does Patson have any case if she kept the information to herself though?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Oh, and I wouldn't be surprised if Patston seeks legal advice over some of those Fairfax articles as well. I sure as well would if I were her.

Me too. I would be suing their arses for spreading such rumour and innuendo (assuming it isn't true of course). Her career is knackered in the short term over this and the Fairfax papers have a lot to answer for. Screw 'em to hell.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Beale is a fucking idiot for sending the text message to her, and he shows a total lack of respect for sending it to anyone in the first place. Despite that I don't think it is unreasonable that the matter was dealt with in house in June and without the whole ARU inquisition media circus. I would have made him apologise in front of the team and take responsibility for his actions.

Despite this I still think Patston leaving is in the best interests of the Wallabies. If she can't suffer fools and put them in their place she shouldn't be managing a professional rugby team. She's got to earn their respect and then aim to be a mentor and adviser. We can bring gender into this, but I think it is an excuse. There certainly are women that can succeed in roles like these, I just don't think she was one of them.

Said it a week ago I'll say it again. Best course of action is that both parties move on from the Wallabies squad, and Link uses this incident to galvanize the rest of the squad.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
The airport trips are certainly looking much more understandable (I didn't think the Argie one needed explaining, but the Perth one did) even if Link didn't know about msgs.

Given speculation is good enough for a newspaper to ruin careers, why don't I speculate on this.

Let's say Patston is employed at the Reds, does a wonderful job and Link keeps here around to be with the Wallabies (like McKay, Lishcke etc).

Patston makes the jump from a place where she was happy and successful, moves states etc to take the gig.

She is now in an environment of bullying and sexual harassment, which would cause any employee large amounts of stress. There is the text message incident. She handles it in her best judgement and moves on.

Fast forward to Perth. A comment is made (or anything really, we've all been around enough rugby players). This triggers a response to the months of the hostile working environment. She reaches a point she can't take anymore, is visibly upset etc and tells she must head home for a "family emergency". Link can see she is visibly and decides to drive his friend to the airport. Misses the compulsory dinner but sometimes, you know.

Perhaps on the trip in combination of talking to Link and maybe explaining what had happened (minus the text messages), she recomposes herself and decides she can handle and move forward with the job.

Fast forward to the plane. KB (Kurtley Beale) acts up, she says "ur done" knowing good and well the texts finish Beales career. Beale causes here to feel "physically intimidated", again the situation becomes too much. And she demands to leave. Link drives her to learn why, where he learns about text messages.

Patston didn't tour with the team as a rule, something most overlook. In fact this was her first overseas tour and Perth was probably her first trip at all.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Right now, I don't blame the ARU. I don't blame Link. I blame a self-entitled group of highly paid spoiled players who need to grow up.

So, if you supply the lolly jar and later on the kiddies are all obese with teeth falling out, its the spoiled self-entitled children who's fault it is because you said no and they didn't listen? So that fact that you told them is sufficient?

Just supposing you restricted the access to the lolly jar do you think the spoilt self-entitled kiddies would still end up obese and their teeth rotting?

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
Does Patson have any case if she kept the information to herself though?

Of course. How about: "I'm in a male dominated environment, every 2nd word is offensive to the majority of females. I have been made to feel physically intimidated and I FEARED FOR MY JOB if I spoke up".

Sexual Harassment and Workplace Bullying 101

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
The airport trips are certainly looking much more understandable (I didn't think the Argie one needed explaining, but the Perth one did) even if Link didn't know about msgs.

Given speculation is good enough for a newspaper to ruin careers, why don't I speculate on this.

Let's say Patston is employed at the Reds, does a wonderful job and Link keeps here around to be with the Wallabies (like McKay, Lishcke etc).

Patston makes the jump from a place where she was happy and successful, moves states etc to take the gig.

She is now in an environment of bullying and sexual harassment, which would cause any employee large amounts of stress. There is the text message incident. She handles it in her best judgement and moves on.

Fast forward to Perth. A comment is made (or anything really, we've all been around enough rugby players). This triggers a response to the months of the hostile working environment. She reaches a point she can't take anymore, is visibly upset etc and tells she must head home for a "family emergency". Link can see she is visibly and decides to drive his friend to the airport. Misses the compulsory dinner but sometimes, you know.

Perhaps on the trip in combination of talking to Link and maybe explaining what had happened (minus the text messages), she recomposes herself and decides she can handle and move forward with the job.

Fast forward to the plane. KB (Kurtley Beale) acts up, she says "ur done" knowing good and well the texts finish Beales career. Beale causes here to feel "physically intimidated", again the situation becomes too much. And she demands to leave. Link drives her to learn why, where he learns about text messages.

Patston didn't tour with the team as a rule, something most overlook. In fact this was her first overseas tour and Perth was probably her first trip at all.

So what about the alleged unrest about Patson that pre-dates the Dublin incident that's been reported and how would you you account for that? I am wondering if there is far more history to this than we know that may answer what started this in the first place which may inform the Beale's (indefensible btw) actions.
There is a significant time line to this which may suggest that there is far more to this.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
Beale is a fucking idiot for sending the text message to her, and he shows a total lack of respect for sending it to anyone in the first place. Despite that I don't think it is unreasonable that the matter was dealt with in house in June and without the whole ARU inquisition media circus. I would have made him apologise in front of the team and take responsibility for his actions.

You don't seem to grasp the gravity of the situation.

Assuming she told anyone, dealing with it in house means EVERYONE gets sacked. At the very least the ARU get hit with a massive lawsuit when Patston decides.

Despite this I still think Patston leaving is in the best interests of the Wallabies. If she can't suffer fools and put them in their place she shouldn't be managing a professional rugby team. She's got to earn their respect and then aim to be a mentor and adviser. We can bring gender into this, but I think it is an excuse. There certainly are women that can succeed in roles like these, I just don't think she was one of them.

If only she had, you know several years experience doing well in a similar role. Or if Link wasn't so disorganised Yobbo who decided that he wanted to waste his one crack at being the Wallabies coach by staffing with a bunch of people who weren't up to a job.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Of course. How about: "I'm in a male dominated environment, every 2nd word is offensive to the majority of females. I have been made to feel physically intimidated and I FEARED FOR MY JOB if I spoke up".

Sexual Harassment and Workplace Bullying 101

(devils advocate) Which could be counted by what else have you not been upfront about or not reported? A reasonable person may suggest that once an issue is closed, if reopened its either, from spite, revenge or it been used as leverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.