• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

League Targets

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Not as important when you're playing your tight head props for around a half each. There is plenty of evidence of him dominating at the very top level of the game, I don't know why you'd even consider moving him away from tight head prop, a position he is so well suited to.
A player who he isn't a consistent starter is not the best in my books. I prefer a reliable Sekope Kepu at his prime than a rockstar like Tupou who plays 10 minutes per game and is a magnet for injuries.

LevitatingSocks

Chris McKivat (8)
He’s erratic sure but so our plenty of Union players. Assuming consistency he’d be fantastic at 13.
This is the equivalent of buying a 40 year old Lotus with all the glory of Lucas Electrical gremlins and thinking you'll be the one to make it reliable.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
What strikes me about in Australian rugby at the moment is we seem to be missing the recruitment race for any big framed backs; in years gone by we had the likes Latham, Herbert, Mortlock, etc, but these are the guys NRL are chasing hard at juniors because they win the collision.

Watching the Reds backline warm up in recent weeks and it’s notable the size difference between Petaia and the rest of the Reds. Even guys like Flook who are playing positions that’s typically require a big body are quite a bit smaller.

Not saying rugby should be signing the biggest backs at schoolboys, there’s a difference between early development and big frame and NRL are pillaging those big framed ones. Guys like Howarth, Toia, Fifita etc have been the best outside centres in the game for QLD schoolboys in recent years and they all swap codes. But more broadly it’s the same with Chrichton, Murray etc in NSW.

Last edited:

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Watching the Reds backline warm up in recent weeks and it’s notable the size difference between Petaia and the rest of the Reds. Even guys like Flook who are playing positions that’s typically require a big body are quite a bit smaller.
This is what I'm talking about. If you say it, it's OK for the forum. If I say it, it's a sin.

Paisami is by far the smallest inside centre in a Tier 1 international team I can remember

You don't have to pick all the big boys just for the size, absolutely. But if your backline looks like a handball team, you are in problems against the monsters playing test rugby. You don't have a Semi Radradra, Marika Koroibete, Manu Tuilagi or someone like that in the 5 Aussie franchises. It's a concern, cause international teams are full of them

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
You do realise Paisami and Koroibete are 2kg different.

The likes of Giteau, Farrell, Fofana, Am, all under 93kg have been really ineffective.

No need to be a victim. I like your takes and keep throwing them out there but if we don't have a Damien De allande we don't have to try and find it. This originally started when I disagreed about League Props being 12s. Yes they have good fitness but would find their niche around tired, slower forwards and not a back who would attack them relentlessly with footwork and cost twice as many tries as they could potentially set up.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
You do realise Paisami and Koroibete are 2kg different.

The likes of Giteau, Farrell, Fofana, Am, all under 93kg have been really ineffective.
Are u comparing Koroibete, a player with 70 NRL games and 2 times John Eales medal winner, with Paisami?? I don't need to know how much they weigh to know that Koroibete is just a stronger ball carrier.

Just to put in perspective. Rob Simmons was 115 kg at his prime and everybody knows that a smaller Michael Hooper was stronger at contact than him

You can't write Giteau and Paisami in the same sentence. It's against the rules of the language

Last edited:

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Watching the Blues play the Rebels is always painful, man to man they're always 10kg heavier, 2 inches taller and somehow faster and more skillful.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Are u comparing Koroibete, a player with 70 NRL games and 2 times John Eales medal winner, with Paisami?? I don't need to know how much they weigh to know that Koroibete is just a stronger ball carrier.

Just to put in perspective. Rob Simmons was 115 at his prime and everybody knows that a smaller Michael Hooper was stronger at contact than him

You can't write Giteau and Paisami in the same sentence. It's against the rules of the language
"you are in problems against the monsters playing test rugby. You don't have a Semi Radradra, Marika Koroibete, Manu Tuilagi or someone like that in the 5 Aussie franchises. It's a concern, cause international teams are full of them"

Part of me would like to see Koro at 12 to see. I'm not saying Hunter is the same player but they face different situations and defenders. One is generally running at other Wingers and the other inside back and backrowers. I said it because it's been clear up until now your have been after a big player yet use a player who is remarkably similar.

Watching the Blues play the Rebels is always painful, man to man they're always 10kg heavier, 2 inches taller and somehow faster and more skillful.
The ability to perform the same skills when bigger at speed will always be a benefit. If you've seen the Panthers play live you realise how fast they maintain the play and guys like Isiah Yeo are big humans doing it. With the Rebels you can see a guy like Lancaster who is already 95kg and fast make such an impact. He's likely going to put on more size through age development alone.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Adam's observation was that recruitment of big-bodied backs has been down in recent years. Your suggestion was to run a world-class prop in the centres. These are not the same thing.
Messages #605 and #606:

1000243332.jpg

Marce

John Thornett (49)
I said it because it's been clear up until now your have been after a big player yet use a player who is remarkably similar.
@Adam84 said:
@Dctarget said:
I said something similar and it is heresy. A scandal! A sacrilege! You are against me not against my arguments (You and others)

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
You are against me not against my arguments (You and others)
Incorrect. You've done nothing to make me dislike you as a person.

I am absolutely against the argument on this topic. I'm against the idea of a League Prop being a Rugby 12. It's OK for you to not like my reply either. It's a forum talking about ideas and thoughts.

Part of me is convinced it has to be a joke at this point about the obvious persecution.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Incorrect. You've done nothing to make me dislike you as a person.

I am absolutely against the argument on this topic. I'm against the idea of a League Prop being a Rugby 12. It's OK for you to not like my reply either. It's a forum talking about ideas and thoughts.

Part of me is convinced it has to be a joke at this point about the obvious persecution.
Taniela Tupou or an NRL prop like James Fisher-Harris are just extreme examples. The main theme is that Aussie Rugby is short in big centres, you can find an athlete like that in AFL, handball, early recruitment or wherever.

The thing is that you don't have big boys in the centre like the other Super Rugby franchises or the international Tier 1 teams. That's all. I never asked Tupou to switch to the centre. It was an extreme example, I can't believe I have to explain that

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Anyway… point was more to highlight the increased competitiveness in retaining big framed outside back positions, which is highlighted in the discussion in here by naming NRL players like Best, Wighton, Farnworth, Sua’ali’i etc.

It’s an impossible question to answer, but I wonder If big framed guys in the likes of Herbert, Mortlock, Latham, Roff etc came through today, whether rugby would retain them against NRL or even AFL approaches.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Yeah I'm just waiting for the headline about Lancaster and League. Heard about the Dragons and Petaia but I'd think Lancaster would be better and with Lomax leaving them they definitely will want someone.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
He’s been good. Definitely in the convo but I think Maguire is keeping a lot of players on their toes.

Funny how he was hated and told to he should be banned but now they want him to come back asap (unless you’re that depressing old twat Buzz Rothfield.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
He’s been good. Definitely in the convo but I think Maguire is keeping a lot of players on their toes.

Funny how he was hated and told to he should be banned but now they want him to come back asap (unless you’re that depressing old twat Buzz Rothfield.
I actually enjoy watching league, but journalists like him make me want to despise it times. He is a sad old man.