• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Lions in South Africa 2021

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Watched the game this morning, was good to see a tour game, B&I Lions basically wore them down in end.

Yeah the SA Lions offered little resistance.

A bit worried that the other Currie Cup teams won't offer a lot more. The Stormers were only marginally better than the Lions this year.

Without the Boks, depth doesn't look much chop. Hope I am wrong. Sharks and Bulls should provide a bigger test. I hope. The player drain to Europe and Japan in my opinion is having a massive impact on the SA teams this year. The best talent is leaving younger and younger each year.

That all assumes the whole tour doesn't collapse due to Covid. Current modelling suggest the wave will peak in Gauteng around 17 July. Will not be surprised if the rescheduled all the tests to Cape Town.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
You really feel as much as many people are looking forward to it, the Lions camp would have to say it can't go on. The chances of them actually playing against teams with players that have got covid must be pretty high. If I a Lion's player, I would say time to go home.
Mind you they probably going back to a lot of it with all restrictions in Britain lifting.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Nothing much to learn other than that PS du Toit is a f*cking machine and that Frans Steyn is past it.

Good to see Pollard looking healthy even though he is not at all sharp.

Don't have much on attack - Pollard is a 10-man rugby flyhalf for the most part, and any ball he DID move out was cruelled by Handbrake Steyn.

Georgia's defence, as a result, was quite solid and they broke a fair few tackles themselves on attack. Their fullback is a bloody good player.

Some hopeless refereeing in that game tho.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
If they're vaccinated set a precedent and roll with it

Depends what South African rules are and how many of those players are vaccinated.
if they’re 100% vaccinated them I agree, roll with it, but if they aren’t then that’s an issue and they can’t risk doing it.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Depends what South African rules are and how many of those players are vaccinated.
if they’re 100% vaccinated them I agree, roll with it, but if they aren’t then that’s an issue and they can’t risk doing it.

Both sides need to be vaccinated - having the vaccine means you reduce your chance of developing symptoms, but doesn't necessarily prevent you transmitting (tho there is evidence of reduced transmission).

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Lots more cases in the SA camp, including head coach Nienaber. Bulls game on Sat cancelled. Bok test agains Georgia in jeopardy. 7 first choice Boks in isolation and will not train.

The whole thing is at risk of crashing down now.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

They are all vaccinated. Both camps.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I have to admit when I read about the first 3 cases after the Boks 'returned to camp' I thought WTF, haven't these clowns been living in a bubble like the rest of the professional sports world?

The Springboks need to swallow their pride and Covid test all their professional players in a ranked order until they end up with a Covid free squad of around 30 players, put them in a fucking bubble and play the rest of their scheduled test matches even if it means getting beaten by Georgia and flogged by the Lions. And put the ones ranked above them who have Covid in a different bubble to train until they are rid of the China bat disease.

Rant over, and I'm sure they are probably thinking of something similar, but it shouldn't have even got to this.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I have to admit when I read about the first 3 cases after the Boks 'returned to camp' I thought WTF, haven't these clowns been living in a bubble like the rest of the professional sports world?

The Springboks need to swallow their pride and Covid test all their professional players in a ranked order until they end up with a Covid free squad of around 30 players, put them in a fucking bubble and play the rest of their scheduled test matches even if it means getting beaten by Georgia and flogged by the Lions. And put the ones ranked above them who have Covid in a different bubble to train until they are rid of the China bat disease.

Rant over, and I'm sure they are probably thinking of something similar, but it shouldn't have even got to this.

They are in a bubble. They have been testing daily. Somehow it got in. There is no failsafe way. We saw that with the NBA bubble.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
They are in a bubble. They have been testing daily. Somehow it got in. There is no failsafe way. We saw that with the NBA bubble.

Ok, fair enough. There would still be a work around though, or just deal with like the rest of the world is starting to do. Even our lot are starting to think that way based on the dissent in the NSW government today by the sounds of it.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
So covid has now got into Lions camp, with supposedly 2 confirmed cases in team, and 14 in islolation, how soon will they have to call it off?

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
So covid has now got into Lions camp, with supposedly 2 confirmed cases in team, and 14 in islolation, how soon will they have to call it off?

I give it another week before it's called off, with no games this weekend and both squads in hotels they will wait till the last possible minute before being called off.