• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Lions Tour 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
The Lions run on squad for the Ponies game would have to be a good indicator who is NOT on the current radar for 1st Test Selection.

Each game of the tour so far, Gatland seems to have ramped up his squad. The midweek game before the 1st test would have to buck that trend.

In that instance, the Lions must be a little more vulnerable than usual tomorrow if the Ponies can get their act together.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
I like the Lions backrow for tonight's game better than the so called first choices. Specially with L'idiot on the bench if plan A doesn't work

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
The Lions run on squad for the Ponies game would have to be a good indicator who is NOT on the current radar for 1st Test Selection.

I think a better indication will be how the bench is used, if SOB comes off after 50 minutes you could bet your house he'll be in the test 23, similarly with Kearney or Faletau. Those are the only 3, rightly or wrongly, that are probably in contention

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
I really hope Croft rides this wave from the Waratahs game so he can go completely missing during the test match and give us a better shot.

djeff

Allen Oxlade (6)
GAGR team predictions has my heart in my mouth. Particularly with O'Connor, McCabe, and Beale all in the run on squad. Too many underdone players here that have barely played this year. Deansy would do well to choose Leilifano instead of McCabe in the run-on XV.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
9wOq55q[1].jpg

djeff

Allen Oxlade (6)
Why are BIL permitted to bring in squad replacements with a roster of 40 odd players already at their disposal?

At the RWC, squads were allowed to replace players who had been ruled out for the remainder of the tornament but not to cover jsut for a couple of games.

Surely the same rules should apply here.

Woodward and Co, keep referring to 'upholding the tradition of the Lions'. The Lions of old had to make do with their original squad, no matter how many injuries they had. The time taken for replacements to come via boat or old slow planes meant it was unviable. This was a great leveler, and allowed the might of the best players from four nations to be met by the hosts who had to pick from only one measely country.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Why are BIL permitted to bring in squad replacements with a roster of 40 odd players already at their disposal?

At the RWC, squads were allowed to replace players who had been ruled out for the remainder of the tornament but not to cover jsut for a couple of games.

Woodward and Co, keep referring to 'upholding the tradition of the Lions'. The Lions of old had to make do with their original squad, no matter how many injuries they had. The time taken for replacements to come via boat or old slow planes meant it was unviable. This was a great leveler, and allowed the might of the best players from four nations to be met by the hosts who had to pick from only one measely country.

Why?

It's not a tournament. The Wallabies aren't bound by any rules in terms of squad size or replacements.

The Lions of old had to make do with their original squad because they spent several months travelling here on a boat.

I don't think it would improve the nature or quality of the series if the Lions had to run out in Canberra tonight with a halfback and a backrower on the wings.

Injury replacements and additions allow for a higher quality series.

djeff

Allen Oxlade (6)
Why?

It's not a tournament. The Wallabies aren't bound by any rules in terms of squad size or replacements.

The Lions of old had to make do with their original squad because they spent several months travelling here on a boat.

I don't think it would improve the nature or quality of the series if the Lions had to run out in Canberra tonight with a halfback and a backrower on the wings.

Injury replacements and additions allow for a higher quality series.

I like the fact that the provincial sides can soften up the Lions but hurting a few of them in lead up games. Provides interest when the local sides are getting a towelling. The fact that the Lions can keep bringing over superstars negates this a bit.

I also think its a bit hypocritical for the old heads to whinge about Aussies not respecting 'the tradition of the Lions' when they themselves seem to defer from these traditions wherever convenient.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)

This sounds like clutching at straws.

M

Muttonbird

Each game of the tour so far, Gatland seems to have ramped up his squad. The midweek game before the 1st test would have to buck that trend.

In that instance, the Lions must be a little more vulnerable than usual tomorrow if the Ponies can get their act together.
They might be more vulnerable but so far, in terms of selection policy, the Aussie teams have shown no ambition to win a game. Not to say the Brumbies won't do the business tonight.

Craig Riddington

Sydney Middleton (9)
Not everyone agrees with, Sky Sports have been cheerleading him in the press (again!) http://balls.ie/rugby/stuart-barnes-really-really-likes-tom-croft/
Well bloody hell, Barnes has gone a bit over the top. I can't say I agree with him as I didn't even think he was England's best six. But I also don't get all this negativity against him. He's a long way from the worst player in the squad. To say he went missing against the tahs is way off. It seems to me that people are focusing on him scoring tries (like that's a bad thing!). I've been quite impressed with him on the tour. I can see why many see SOB as a better six - his work around rucks is superb and his carries are good. And I would be happy to see SOB start at six, though we couldn't afford a repeat of his defensive lapse against the Force. Lydiate wouldn't let the Lions down either. But one thing you can say about Croft is that he is a genuine third option in the line out and the way that we have been going in this area of the game, we probably need that.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Not everyone agrees with, Sky Sports have been cheerleading him in the press (again!) http://balls.ie/rugby/stuart-barnes-really-really-likes-tom-croft/

I've been doing some historical research on Stuart Barnes and he has been wrong far more times than he has been right in the past..:D

Remember when he said Robshaw would captain the Lions?

Craig Riddington

Nobody said Croft went missing agains the 'Tahs. The point was that he was great against the 'Tahs but has a tendency to disappear during test matches. The hope is that he will ride that wave of form from the 'Tahs game straight into a 4 tackles, 3 carries for 12 meters, 0 pilfers, X amount of line out takes-esque performance in the 1st test.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
I've been doing some historical research on Stuart Barnes and he has been wrong far more times than he has been right in the past..:D

Remember when he said Robshaw would captain the Lions?

Craig Riddington

Nobody said Croft went missing agains the 'Tahs. The point was that he was great against the 'Tahs but has a tendency to disappear during test matches. The hope is that he will ride that wave of form from the 'Tahs game straight into a 4 tackles, 3 carries for 12 meters, 0 pilfers, X amount of line out takes-esque performance in the 1st test.
What pisses me off even more about Stuart Barnes is I played against him in School. He went to Bassaleg Comp in Wales so could've played for us if he had been good enough. Chose Bath and orcland instead. Bloody frustrating as a prop forward. We'd struggle in the pouring rain and mud to move the lineout 5 metres at a time up the to their 22 and then they'd win one and Barnes would kick the bloody thing back at us and gain 60 yards, and so it wnet on in true NH style.

Status
Not open for further replies.