• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Lions Tour 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Probably good not many turn up to watch the welsh franchises when you watch some of the spineless displays served up by the Welsh players in those jerseys. At least they can doss around and recharge their batteries phoning in performances after the Lions bollocks: while it is a great thing the Irish lads cannot get away with taking the piss in such a way, it means they don't get the recuperation time the Welsh players do, another reason I can't wait for the nonsense to end.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
That's because the way welsh regional rugby was set up, not true regions at all the power went to the four biggest clubs, super clubs, not regions, I now watch my local side who are in a much lower league there is usually a couple of thousand watching them, this is the same for many clubs in Wales, Rugby has'nt died just moved;)

IMHO that is what killed off the ARC here is Oz. Tribal fanaticism can not be manufactured no matter how much money you throw at it. Randwick, Uni and Easts merged and playing out of North Sydney oval & call them the Fleet. That'll draw them in. Yeah right.

The growth of the Western Sydney Wanderers in Diveball's A League is a possible exception to the rule, but that team was formed from a vacuum in a key sports battleground, and not from merging existing tribes into a manufactured supertribe.

I love my Tahs, but I reckon I'm probably happier sitting on the Hill in the sun at Rat park with a couple of hundred others watching Shute Shield level footy than being part of the hype and marketing experience that professional footy has become.

Perhaps there is some influence from the valleys in the Jarse gene pool?
It is new South Wales after all.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Probably good not many turn up to watch the welsh franchises when you watch some of the spin less displays served up by the Welsh players in those jerseys. At least they can doss around and recharge their batteries phoning in performances after the Lions bollocks: while it is a great thing the Irish lads cannot get away with taking the piss in such a way, it means they don't get the recuperation time the Welsh players do, another reason I can't wait for the nonsense to end.

Some of the displays of particularly Warburton and Roberts in the Rabo and Heino were an embarrassment. In fact I recall St Sam did an interview in September which I saw on some RTE coverage saying so long as he was fit for the Lions he'd be happy, is it anyway wonder no one cares about their franchises when the marquee player is coming out with comments like that?

In the defence of the Welsh players as a whole any time I see Halfpenny, AWJ, Tipuric and Faletau in their franchises they actually look like they care and give 100%, I'm sure there are others but I can't think of them off the top of my noggin.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Probably good not many turn up to watch the welsh franchises when you watch some of the spineless displays served up by the Welsh players in those jerseys. At least they can doss around and recharge their batteries phoning in performances after the Lions bollocks: while it is a great thing the Irish lads cannot get away with taking the piss in such a way, it means they don't get the recuperation time the Welsh players do, another reason I can't wait for the nonsense to end.
Surely its time to end the gripes and enjoy the rugby the welsh and Irish bois are serving up. Shame to see Jamie the jaw limping off but I would have had bod and foxy as my first choice centre pairing anyway. Poc and awj were excellent again and the front row awesome. Pleased for 1/2p again

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
I thought Warbs did enough to get the test 7 spot, Heaslip will not, Faletau for the 8 spot, who do we pick at 6????, you will need all the back row to attack the breakdown against the Aussies, so I wouldn't pick Croft there, Lydiate or SOB or maybe tips,? for sure the breakdown will be the biggest challenge for the lions, forget the scrum& lineout it will be won or lost at the breakdown.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I'm reading on twitter that Christian Wade and Brad Barritt have been called upon as cover.

Serious doubts over Jamie Roberts and George North?

Edit:

The England backs Christian Wade and Brad Barritt are flying to Australia to help ease the British & Irish Lions's mounting injury crisis. Wade, who made his Test debut a week ago, and the more experienced Barritt have been called up amid growing doubts over the tour participation of Jamie Roberts, who suffered a suspected hamstring tear in the 47-17 win over NSW Waratahs, George North, Tommy Bowe and Manu Tuilagi.

See more at http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/jun/15/warren-gatland-lions-waratahs

Wales Fan

Alfred Walker (16)
Brad bloody Barritt - I despair, I really do. Is that really the best option from all four home unions at centre ? :rolleyes:

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Shane Williams has also been called up and all three go straight into the team to play the Brumbies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If Roberts is out of the first test it is a massive blow for the Lions. He is the only genuine 12 in the original squad and there aren't a lot of potential options.

Tuliagi is under an injury cloud and might not be ready plus he looked average at 12 against the Force (I think it was).

BOD seems to be the walk up starter at 13 and unlikely to play at 12.

Davies is also a 13 and had an excellent game last night against the Tahs. I can't see him being moved to 12 though.

I expect Twelvetrees has to play 12 against the Brumbies to get a run and then potentially back up against the Wallabies on Saturday night.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Honestly on form so far North looks like the best option at 12 based on his limited cameos in the center. He made far more impact than Tuilagi did and against stronger opposition overall. Davies looked really out of place when he played 12 the other week.

Williams getting called up..I love to watch him play but does he still have it?

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Shane Williams? Is Gatland serious? They could at least pick someone who has played rugby at a decent level this season. You'd have to back the Brumbies with the team the Lions named

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
1 Vunipola
2 Youngs/Hibbard
3 Jones the Prop
4 Jones the lock
5 POC
6 SOB
7 Tipuric
8 Faletau
9 Murray
10 Sexton
11 North
12 Davies
13 BOD
14 Halfpenny
15 Hogg

Bam

-----------------------
I hate autocorrect ...

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
Roberts looked in serious trouble when he went off but I was hoping North was OK, Our Shane Williams Naaaah!! someones pulling my dangler:D

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
If I wasn't supporting the Lions before I certainly wouldn't be now that the dirty lying w'nker Shane 'poisoned dwarf' Williams has been called up. If any single decision could demonstrate the hollowness of the Lions as a concept this has to be it.

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
Gatland has played another blinder calling up 'Ickle'. The shift against the Lions in Munster is gathering momentum!?!?
Shane was flying to Australia to watch the tests He'll be in for the one game then gone.
I see nothing wrong in that, Your puerile Diatribe against one of the best wings in world rugby is to be expected, given your many rants I wonder why you comment on the lions at all.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Shane was flying to Australia to watch the tests He'll be in for the one game then gone.
I see nothing wrong in that, Your puerile Diatribe against one of the best wings in world rugby is to be expected, given your many rants I wonder why you comment on the lions at all.
Did Shane Williams lie about Marcus Horan making a racist comment?

Status
Not open for further replies.