• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Lions Tour 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
The problem with Croft is that for him to get his youtube moments and play well you need your locks, 8 and 7 to pick up the slack doing the dirty work. It is perfectly acceptable to this against Super 15 B teams, but the battle at the breakdown will be vicious in each test and the Lions can't afford a luxury player like Croft.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The reality is that any side playing a visiting International team in the week leading up to the first test has a comparative advantage. The Visitors will usually be keen to rest their stars and not risk injuries so close to the vital first test.

Shrewd of the ARU to schedule their strongest franchise to play the Lions when they would most likely be at their weakest.

The Lions management should have gone for the Rebels game in the week leading up to the first test, the Force in the midweek game towards the end of the tour, and given the Ponies a Weekend match where they could have fielded more first choice Test players.

Either that, or as someone has suggested, the Lions should have brought more players.

Tour Shrewdness Score = ARU 1, Lions Management 0.

Craig Riddington

Sydney Middleton (9)
Well I'm obviously in a minority on Croft. He's just surprised me with the way he has played on the tour thus far. We will have to wait and see. I'm wrong more times than even Stuart Barnes. What's more of a concern to me is that we only have one Hooker who has thrown well on tour. Last nights lineout woes were embarrassing and it has probably confirmed the test places of both Toms. Tom Youngs will be in, not because he's such an awesome player, but, because he has thrown well and Croft because he gives another lineout option.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Croft is clearly a good player he wouldn't have got to where he is without talent however your post kind of sums him up for me. Youngs needs to throw well for Croft to have an impact in attacking lineouts, the Lions need to break the Wallabies line out code early for him to have an impact there. The Lions need to boss the breakdown for him to get quick ball to run onto out wide. There are just too many variables that need to go right for him to have an impact. Also it isn't like the Lions are lacking in lineout jumpers with POC, AWJ and Heaslip.

I'd start SOB for test one, and if the Lions are 1-0 down then I'd consider starting Croft because your in last chance saloon and you may as well gamble on the 5/1 shot winning you the game.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I don't think Croft is a bad player, he;s actually pretty good. Just maybe not the type of player you want to start the first test. It's going to be a complete shit fight for the first 60 minutes and the Lions will need every able body to get the breakdowns. Having one less player who can do the donkey work will make a hell of a difference.

Best might have been the answer as he does tremendous work at the breakdown, but given his throwing I wouldn't want to see him anywhere near the test side. Losing Healy was also a blow to our breakdown work.

But generally on Croft I wouldn't be too disappointed if he was picked. In general the back row players have been fantastic. It was the most competitive area just to get into the initial squad and the quality of players available is immense. Even Warburton is finding some form so other than a natural Irish loyalty I'll be happy with whoever is picked in the backrow.

I certainly can't say the same of a lot of other positions. I would be worried seeing any of Farrell, Barritt, Wade, Best, Ben Youngs, Ian Evans, Stevens etc. either in a starting lineup or coming onto the field with the scores close. I'd add Williams to that list also but thankfully his was a one night only gig.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Also wanted to say how fantastic the Aus crowds have been so far in the series. They've really gotten into the spirit, made lots of noise and supported their teams. It should make for fantastic atmosphere at the test matches.

Leaving a Lions series win aside, if there was one other thing I would wish for out of this Lions series it would be that the enthusiasm of the Aus crowd and the atmosphere they've generated carries over to S15. I dread them going back to the muted atmosphere of regular S15 games.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
...... If there was one other thing I would wish for out of this Lions series it would be that the enthusiasm of the Aus crowd and the atmosphere they've generated carries over to S15. I dread them going back to the muted atmosphere of regular S15 games.

Obviously the Aussie fans need to support the local teams but I'd also like the local Lions supporters to adopt a Super Rugby team and head to the games. Many do but a lot don't.

skee87

Frank Row (1)
Hi all, I have 2 spare platinum tickets to the 1st test in Brisbane and need to sell them asap as they cost me a mint (as you're all no doubt aware of). I have tried gumtree and ebay but to no avail. I am not looking to scalp these for more than what i paid for them, just need to get rid of them. Would anyone know of anyone/anywhere i can get rid of them? They're on the 22 meter line 20 rows back.. Any help would be appreciated :) Thanks!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
More pommy griping:
It has not been widely reported that there was a protracted debate between the Lions and theARUover the appointment of an Australian referee for last week’s game against the CombinedNSW/ Queensland country. While agreement had originally been reached for neutral referees to oversee each game of the tour, the Lions relented and agreed for a local ref to be appointed for “development purposes”.
When it transpired that Steve Walsh was that referee, it became clear that the Aussies were up to their old tricks. Walsh has history with teams from the home nations. He was suspended for four months during the Lions tour of New Zealand in 2005 for verbally abusing Lions winger Shane Horgan over a disputed decision. Similarly, he received a suspension for inappropriate behaviour towards the England team duringRWC 2003.
Walsh, who debuted at test level in 1998 and has 38 tests to his name, is hardly the referee who would most gain from the experience of such an appointment. There are 15 referees on the ARU National Referees Panel with New Zealander Walsh the only one to have officiated at test level. Angus Gardner, Andrew Lees or James Leckie would have benefitted from the experience of a game involving the Lions as they seek appointment to the IRB’s Elite Referee Panel, where Walsh is currently the only “Australian” representative.
The situation became more sinister on Monday when it was reported in the Courier-Mail newspaper in Brisbane that “Walsh was an on-field presence at the Wallabies training camp last week and was used to help work out ways to penetrate the expected obstruction ploys of the Lions. He would also have given the Wallabies an insight into the scrum-calling habits of fellow Kiwi Chris Pollock, the first test referee”.
There may be no rule against the involvement of an international referee with Test match preparation, but in the circumstances the move can only be viewed as further provocative behaviour by the ARU. While no stone should be left unturned in an effort to secure a series victory, the use of a supposedly neutral referee in this manner is over-stepping the mark.
Were Wayne Barnes to referee a game between the Wallabies and Leicester on a future November tour and then go into camp with the England team ahead of a Twickenham test match between the two sides, the outrage from the Wallabies would be as predictable as it would be appropriate.
It would appear that the Lions have chosen not to make an issue out of either incident involving Walsh and probably rightly so, too. They need neither the distraction nor to involve themselves in a pre-test exchange with the Wallabies. TheIRB, however, should investigate and ensure that such blatantly unethical behaviour should be prevented from happening again.
http://www.therugbysite.com/blog_posts/419-steve-walsh-neutrality-called-into-question-by-jg

Its a complete beat up: how would Walsh have any greater insight into the scrum calling patterns of Pollock than Wallabies who have played under him? he would probsbly havea ghood deal less or no more than could be gleaned from watching video of his games.
These buggers could whinge for Australia - if they were eligible.

M

Muttonbird

I'm a little concerned that the Wallabies match fitness isn't what it could be. Not saying they've been on holiday for four weeks since they last played but I think it wouldn't have been a bad idea to throw a few of these test players into the tour games for 40 minutes or so. What the Lions lack in natural talent and ability could be made up for with superior match fitness.

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
the lions have gone for the set piece croft stands in midfield or on the wing waiting for the ball instead of looking for it and supporting his fellow backrowers, heaslip is of the same ilk, I despair.:(

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
I can't believe that no one has brought up Sean O' Brien's omission from the bench. If Warburton goes down injured, which lets face would be a fairly obvious form pick, the Lions will be obliterated at the breakdown. Lydiate is a fine 6 but SOB can play across the back row and I can only believe that the shoulder injury he picked up against the Brumbies was behind the decision.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
I can't believe that no one has brought up Sean O' Brien's omission from the bench. If Warburton goes down injured, which lets face would be a fairly obvious form pick, the Lions will be obliterated at the breakdown. Lydiate is a fine 6 but SOB can play across the back row and I can only believe that the shoulder injury he picked up against the Brumbies was behind the decision.
Haven't had chance to! I think he has been a stand-out. I would have gone for speed not power in backrow. But in cementhead we must trust!

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
the lions have gone for the set piece croft stands in midfield or on the wing waiting for the ball instead of looking for it and supporting his fellow backrowers, heaslip is of the same ilk, I despair.:(
don't despair Dai. Heaslip has been good and I think with Toby we risk too many turnovers as he can spill the ball. I'm sure they target Cuthbert but otherwise no complaints other than backrow and that was always going to be difficult choice. I would have had either Tipuric or even better SoB on th bench rather that L'idiot. would have provided a Plan B, but what do I know? I got the Brumbies game completely wrong!

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
You guys are all idiots. Everyone knows that referees get together and discuss how they do the scrum engagement over lunch.
It's not Walsh that worries me. Think he does ok. Joubert and rolland are my betes noires. Particularly Joubert since he masterminded the Murrayfield debacle this year

Redeye

Frank Row (1)
Any thoughts as to how Quade Cooper would have gone at fly half tonight? My back line for next game - 9 Genia, 10 Cooper, 12 Lealiifano, 13 Fainga'a, 11 O'Connor, 15 Beale and 14 Folau. Thoughts?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Any thoughts as to how Quade Cooper would have gone at fly half tonight? My back line for next game - 9 Genia, 10 Cooper, 12 Lealiifano, 13 Fainga'a, 11 O'Connor, 15 Beale and 14 Folau. Thoughts?

With Quade there would have smashed them 49-13 and he would have been MOTM for making 25 dominant tackles, scoring three tries and giving the last pass for the other four, kicking all the conversions from the sideline with his left foot.

Back in the real world - you have too many QLDers there...

-----------------------
I hate autocorrect ...

Status
Not open for further replies.