• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Lions Tour 2025

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Lions matches are Test matches. They count as Test caps.
Yep, I think it is because WR (World Rugby) recognise them as such, but they strange ones aren't they, as they don't count as ranking tests etc which I can understand. I think as far as test caps go, that can be decided by individual nations, and NZ never used to give caps for tests played against Japan, Fiji etc, what we loosely call 2nd tier, and only changed after WC started.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Just watched the Samu Kerevi rugbypass offload podcast & despite the fact it sounds like he wont be coming back to play in aus he did mention he wished the lions would play against a PI side in Suva as apart of the tour. They went to Hong Kong to play the barbarians on the way to aus on the way though & I know money wise it doesn't make as much sense as a stop in HK or Japan but does the game owe a Lions v Fiji test in 2025 & a Lions v Moana test in 2029?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Just watched the Samu Kerevi rugbypass offload podcast & despite the fact it sounds like he wont be coming back to play in aus he did mention he wished the lions would play against a PI side in Suva as apart of the tour. They went to Hong Kong to play the barbarians on the way to aus on the way though & I know money wise it doesn't make as much sense as a stop in HK or Japan but does the game owe a Lions v Fiji test in 2025 & a Lions v Moana test in 2029?
Did he mention anything else interesting? How's his injury coming along?

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Did he mention anything else interesting? How's his injury coming along?

Yeah it was really good talked about his journey to aus as a kid. Told his version of what happened last spring tour. Said that he doesn't think if he came back to the reds there would be a spot for him!

Its on youtube worth a watch

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
I agree on the premise that the game doesn’t owe anyone anything, you start making sentimental decisions instead of sensible decisions and you start running into issues. However it would be a nice touch and exciting for those involved.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Agreed, but could potentially see it happening. The "sports-wash" gambit basically just means throwing multi-millions until something sticks.

Previously the Lions have done an HSBC event in HK on the way in (Baabaas?) ... maybe the Qataris put that plan on steroids?

Invite France/Boks or some other cash-hungry team (ABs?) for a pre-series Lions test. Sure, it means crashing R.A.'s party but I'm not sure they'd care.

Hey, maybe drop the ockers to two tests. ;)

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
And there’s the rub. When Qatari cash can interrupt well established rugby history, where does it end?
Indeed.

The thing for us is to keep the on-field team competitive. Lose that, or lose interest, and it ends. But, we're .. just about ... keeping it together so far.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Rumours:

- 3 x test matches against Wallabies; Sydney, Melbourne & TBC(Perth/Brisbane/Adelaide)

- 1 x combined NZ & Aus match

- 1 x combined Fiji, Tonga, Samoa and PNG match

- 3 x Super Rugby matches against Queensland Reds, NSW Waratahs and ACT Brumbies

Last edited:

The Ghost of Raelene

Mark Ella (57)
Bit of a shame Rebels & Force miss out. Shows the RA pecking order whether you like it or not. Kind of hope they give the Test to Perth in that case but Brisbane missing out seems crazy as well. The Combined Aus NZ game could be held at the City that misses the Wallabies Test.

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
Rumours:

- 3 x test matches against Wallabies; Sydney, Melbourne & TBC(Perth/Brisbane/Adelaide)

- 1 x combined NZ & Aus match

- 1 x combined Fiji, Tonga, Samoa and PNG match

- 3 x Super Rugby matches against Queensland Reds, NSW Waratahs and ACT Brumbies

Man, after a lacklustre Super Round and dismal crowd last night, I’m being increasingly disenfranchised by Melbourne getting a big test most years

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
To be fair on the chance of Melbourne hosting, it would be enough for people to travel for. I don’t doubt crowds would be an issue for a Lions tour.

And if the VIC Government are offering up the $$$ , it’s a bit hard for RA to turn down given the debt they’re still carrying.

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
To be fair on the chance of Melbourne hosting, it would be enough for people to travel for. I don’t doubt crowds would be an issue for a Lions tour.

And if the VIC Government are offering up the $$$ , it’s a bit hard for Rugby Australia to turn down given the debt they’re still carrying.
Understand that it’s a commercial slam dunk, especially for a Lions tour - I’ll probably be one of many travelling down - I just don’t see that guaranteeing a Melbourne test every year is beneficial for the rugby community.