• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

MANLY 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Cheers, Andrew Lees; I've seen him ref some quality games prior so was puzzled. The 10 minutes on Gordon's line was like an U6 ref trying to balance out the game.

Look forward to your Pacific Islands day.

Lees did a super game at the start of the year and was hopeless.

Glad to see that the Marlins started 2013 with such strong performances.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Lees did a super game at the start of the year and was hopeless.

Glad to see that the Marlins started 2013 with such strong performances.
I'd prefer to say there is a heap of room for improvement just in case we come up against him frequently.
Ed, and his pack showed incredible patience.

Looking forward to your quality match review contributions.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I'd prefer to say there is a heap of room for improvement just in case we come up against him frequently.
Ed, and his pack showed incredible patience.

Looking forward to your quality match review contributions.

Thanks for the insightful and thorough reviews of Manly's matches this week.

How did Allambie minis go in the first games back in the competition? Fun and smiles all round I'm sure.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Thanks for the insightful and thorough reviews of Manly's matches this week.

How did Allambie minis go in the first games back in the competition? Fun and smiles all round I'm sure.

QH. the kids had a ball and George Smith had his little one down there running around in the opposition. Ah the 8 oclock start

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Manly's proud to have 7 players in the squad for the 2013 IRB Junior world Championships;
Congrats to the boys;
Rhys Dombkins NSW Manly
Lalakai Foketi NSW Manly
Reece Hodge NSW Manly
Oliver Hoskins WA, but plays Manly NSW
Siotome Kavapalu NSW Manly
Alex Northam NSW Manly
Matt Philip NSW Manly
Some true quality there and players to watch over the coming years.

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
Well done claiming Kavpalu, born and bread in Melbourne and developed through the Rebel Rugby program . Been at Manly for about a month !

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Sunny, 26 degrees and a light NNE blowing this Saturday.
Junior rugby then a BBQ lunch down at Manly watching rugby - makes for a great day.
Powerhouse Palu returns to the Marlins

“I’m pretty nervous," said Wallaby and Waratah, Cliffy Palu, about running out against West Harbour at Manly Oval this Saturday. “I haven’t played grade for a few years and I am not used to playing club footy.”

“It is good that there are a few guys still around that I know. Swansea (club sponsor John Hinton) helped me out a lot when I first came to Manly.”

“The last time I played (for Manly) was in the semi against Souths down at Foreshaw Park a few years ago. It was hot and dusty and we didn’t get the right result,” remembered Cliffy. “It’d be good to get the right result on Saturday. I remember playing at Manly Oval with George (Smith) against West Harbour and there was a great crowd. Taf (Poloto-Nau) played in that game for Wests.”

Palu%2C%20Wylciff%20runs%20130909D-0136.jpg

Marlin Palu vs Eastwood in 2009 semi

“I injured my ankle in the second (Super 15) round,” explained Cliffy about his return to the Marlins. “I played 20 minutes off the bench against the Hurricanes last week and thought it would be good to get some more game time.”

“The Wallabies squad meets this weekend. The camp will be more about logistics and getting new players up to speed with Wallabies style and training set up. Don’t put too much on selection at this stage but I’d like to be in best shape to be considered,” commented Cliffy.

“Depending on plans and dates I’d love to play more games for Manly.” We’d love him back for a few games at the pointy end of the season!

Fairbrother Front Row Fiend

“I played the 2011/ 2012 season for Harlequins in England,” said MMM prop, Tim Fairbrother. “It was great and we went on to win the premiership. Unfortunately I did not play in the final due to injury issues.”

“After 12 years of nonstop rugby I needed to give my body a break and so I took 6 months off and studied,” he explained about returning to the MMMs. “I am now easing my way back into the game with Manly and feel the best injury wise for a long time.”

“West Harbour will be physical and they always have good athletes in the side. Dan Manu is West coach and is a good forwards coach. He was our forwards coach a few years ago and will know about us,” said Tim.

Team sheet

Waratahs contracted half back Matt Lucas gets his first run at the Village Green. Long time club stalwart, Dylan Sigg, returns at lock after playing for the Brumbies last season and an Italian club the year before.

“It is frustrating losing Dane (Maraki – prop) and Greg (Peterson – lock) to injuries early in the season,” said Tim. “We want the players on the field.” It is not known how long Greg will be sidelined for at this stage.

Dane injured his knee in the Hong Kong 10-a-side competition and is likely to be out for the season. He played for the competition winning Penguins side, coached by Tim Lane, that included a number of MMM players. Dylan Sigg was player of the tournament.

1 Eddie Aholelei, 2 Andrew Collins, 3 Tim Fairbrother, 4 Ed Gower (captain), 5 Dylan Sigg, 6 Harry Bergelin, 7 Kotoni Ale, 8 Andrew Davis, 9 Matt Lucas, 10 BJ Hartmann, 11 Richard Hooper, 12 Peter Gilmore, 13 Brian Sefanaia, 14 Will Helu, 15 Jacob Woodhouse

Unexpected tussle

Having lost their coach days before the first game of the season, Gordon wanted to prove that they could still deliver a strong performance. They were disruptive at the break down, physical in the tackle and up to all sorts of mischief in attack. After a tight first half the Marlins came away with the bonus point win 28-11.

In the last 10 minutes of the first half the MMMs were camped on Gordon's station end line. Scrum after scrum was awarded. It needed a front rower to explain: “Well actually I didn’t know what was going on. We were dominant at the scrum and felt like they were dropping the scrum all of the time. We were trying to scrummage positively to get a try,” said prop Tim Fairbrother.

Interpretation has always been a part of rugby and part of the enjoyment. If you compete for the ball physically, there will always be subjective decisions. When you get almost 900kgs of human tissue hitting another 900 kgs it is going to be unstable. But there comes a point where decisions have to be made…for, most importantly, the players and, let’s face it, supporters enjoyment. (That was the rant of the day)
“We did some good things in the game but it doesn’t matter whether it is Super 15 or the Tri Nations, the first game is always difficult. Forcing a pass, trying too hard,” said Tim. “It’s out of the way now!”

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Well done claiming Kavpalu, born and bread in Melbourne and developed through the Rebel Rugby program . Been at Manly for about a month !
So as the players were shown on the ARU media release as shown above and it is their current club from where should Kavapalu be shown as. I am sure that a good percentage of the players came from somewhere other than the club they are now playing at. A rather petty comment I believe

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Fine weather rugby played down at the village, passes sticking this week, nice angles being run, creating space out wide with some nice speed - enjoyable rugby.
7 from 7 with a number of bonus point victories, and some hatrics thrown in.
2's - Ground announcer "Manly defeated wests by Alot to 22". Mitch Daniel in 2's is proving the beaches continue to produce quality 7's, worked hard on the ball all day with some quality go forward.
Tom Chesters is now providing us some good depth at 10, Damien Reti is enjoying playing at 13 straightening the ball when required, running good angles, and donating a tries to Sione Ala. James Arnold on the other wing burnt his rivals on a number of occasions as well.
1's - Great having some Super Players back, the game was won before they came on. I think it was 21 - 0 after about 8 minutes as the Marlinettes just kept cheering A strong performance across the park.
The first 10 of each half saw some scintillating rugby, strong up front, passes sticking, and true spead out wide. Then they dropped back into cruise control and mainained the dominance.
Forward pack was strong, hard to pick a stand out as they all did what they were suppose to do - Dylan Sig
Backs, much the same - Sam Lane had some great touches in the second half - Brian Sef.

Any write up on the colts?

The boys will need to be switched on for next week out at Granville. 2 Blues are planning a big Pacific Island Day and Manly for years has had a strong relationship with the Pacific - it's on our door step.

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
Dave loving your work on the Marlins' thread - looking forward to the 2 Blues this weekend hopefully the weather will be kinder than last year otherwise we'll need plenty of that Parramatta pumpkin soup.

One interesting variable will be who is actually coaching the side - both Laney and Turtle away . By then you might have been able to make the announcement of Laney's successor following Thursday's board meeting.

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
Fine weather rugby played down at the village, passes sticking this week, nice angles being run, creating space out wide with some nice speed - enjoyable rugby.
7 from 7 with a number of bonus point victories, and some hatrics thrown in.
2's - Ground announcer "Manly defeated wests by Alot to 22". Mitch Daniel in 2's is proving the beaches continue to produce quality 7's, worked hard on the ball all day with some quality go forward.
Tom Chesters is now providing us some good depth at 10, Damien Reti is enjoying playing at 13 straightening the ball when required, running good angles, and donating a tries to Sione Ala. James Arnold on the other wing burnt his rivals on a number of occasions as well.
1's - Great having some Super Players back, the game was won before they came on. I think it was 21 - 0 after about 8 minutes as the Marlinettes just kept cheering A strong performance across the park.
The first 10 of each half saw some scintillating rugby, strong up front, passes sticking, and true spead out wide. Then they dropped back into cruise control and mainained the dominance.
Forward pack was strong, hard to pick a stand out as they all did what they were suppose to do - Dylan Sig
Backs, much the same - Sam Lane had some great touches in the second half - Brian Sef.

Any write up on the colts?

The boys will need to be switched on for next week out at Granville. 2 Blues are planning a big Pacific Island Day and Manly for years has had a strong relationship with the Pacific - it's on our door step.

I understand from one spy that Colts scored "the try of the year" . Jono has them playing some exciting rugby

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Dave loving your work on the Marlins' thread - looking forward to the 2 Blues this weekend hopefully the weather will be kinder than last year otherwise we'll need plenty of that Parramatta pumpkin soup.

One interesting variable will be who is actually coaching the side - both Laney and Turtle away . By then you might have been able to make the announcement of Laney's successor following Thursday's board meeting.

Cheers,
Granville, or a plug for the colts this weekend?
Turtle bring back any Fijians with him?
would love to have seen Link & Laney replace Deans and co - oh well he'll be stuck in France.

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
Cheers,
Granville, or a plug for the colts this weekend?
Turtle bring back any Fijians with him?
would love to have seen Link & Laney replace Deans and co - oh well he'll be stuck in France.

Much as i am keen to see the colts again - saw 2 of their trials - it has to be Granville particularly given it is a big day out there. Keen to see for myself how well things are developing there . 2 Blues continuing to thrive is vital for Shute Shield

Status
Not open for further replies.