• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

MANLY 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Away game vs Two Blues, Parramatta 4.30pm Merrylands RSL Oval
Note 4.30pm kick off. The Two Blues are holding an Islander event and so a later first grade game. Of course the MMMs formidable islands contingent will be most welcome (after the game!).
“To be honest I am a bit nervous about the game,” said MMMs 10/12/15 BJ Hartmann. “They have good support and are able to put points on the board. It will be a different feeling from last weekend’s game.” There was a fantastic atmosphere at the Village Green with many supporters and some champagne rugby against West Harbour.

Team sheet
“There haven’t been that many changes. I’m moving to fullback and Sam Lane starts at 10, “ mentioned BJ. Sam came on in the second half last weekend and pulled up well after testing his knee (recovering from knee reconstruction last year). Fullback Woodhouse moves to the bench. “This is a reflection of the depth we have this year and we need to think of it as squad approach as we move through a long season.”
1 Eddie Aholelei, 2 Pat Leofa, 3 Tim Fairbrother, 4 Ed Gower (c), 5 Dylan Sigg, 6 Harry Bergelin, 7 Kotoni Ale, 8 Andrew Davis, 9 Adam Crerar, 10 Sam Lane, 11 Richard Hooper, 12 Peter Gilmore, 13 Brian Sefanaia, 14 Will Helu, 15 BJ Hartmann

Pirates keel hauled
The MMMs performed the equivalent of a keel haul, where captured enemies were roped up and dragged under the ship across the barnacles, ripping their skin, leaving them badly damaged if they survived from drowning.
“It was one of those days when it came together,” explained BJ. “The pack gave a great platform for the backs to work into space and the passes stuck. Wests worked hard but we were able to capitalise on our chances.” Not joking – 4 tries and bonus point before half time!
Waratahs half back Matt Lucas delivered great ball from lineouts and the back of rucks. “Yeah, the ball came in front and to hand meaning I didn’t have to leap in the air or turn behind. It gives you more space.”
Massive centre Pete Gilmore was hitting the line and causing havoc that started to create space and the backs confidence developed as the game went on. Brian Sefenaia got a hat trick. Quick feet and really quick passing bamboozled Wests defence. It was great entertainment! 54-14 win.
The team came over and clapped the supporters under the flying saucer after the game. No doubt this would have been a different experience for Waratahs Cliffy Palu and Matt Lucas…back to the roots and some aerobic running rugby! Hopefully we will see them later in the season….

Colts U20 World Cup news
Manly Rugby Football Club sent 7 players off to the final Selection Camp for the Australian Under 20's Squad of 28. We congratulate all 7 players who got to the final stage and are proud of all of them!
From a Club point of view we aredelighetd that Ollie Hoskins (Force academy) and Alex Northam (a graduate of the Marlins Colts Program) have both been selected to go to France!
We are also pleased to confirm that prop, Siotame Kavapalu and lock, Matt Philip have been selected in the Squad of 28.
Lalakai Foketi and Reece Hodge have been named as shadows for their respective positions. This means that they are off to France if anyone in their positions are either injured or unavailable.
Marlins Colts coach Jono Harvey is thrilled for the players involved stating that this is due reward for the effort these boys invest. Jono said, "All of these boys aspire to a professional career in rugby and this recognition at this stage of their development will only fuel their desire to progress further."
When asked about his players' absence for up to 6 rounds, Jono suggested that the players selected would benefit from playing at a higher level and would add value to the team upon their return.
"We are all about creating an environment within which players enjoy their rugby and develop," said Jono. "The fact that the selectors are recognising people within our our program validates our structure as well as our recruitment and retention policy."

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Dave Beat, what does MMM represent please?

I get 2 of them (Manly Marlins), but not the third M.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Coach that to, we will be using the sticky tape to wrap Uni's Birthday present when they come to visit - we'll need to send them home with something.

Good luck with that!
I must say I'm disappointed the Wicks aren't playing at Manly this year.
I look forward to the ferry ride, Campos coffee on the walk from the wharf, great view of the game from the stand, friendly BBQ staff......sigh!
Wish we could get back to full home-and-away.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Good luck with that!
I must say I'm disappointed the Wicks aren't playing at Manly this year.
I look forward to the ferry ride, Campos coffee on the walk from the wharf, great view of the game from the stand, friendly BBQ staff..sigh!
Wish we could get back to full home-and-away.

2 from 3 last year, and 3 minutes either side of half time in the 3rd resulted in 21 points.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
BTW Dave Beat, the Marlins had a tall, blond outside back / full back a few years ago who (from memory) played 2nds and then came off the bench in 1sts against the Wicks at Manly Oval. I was told he was only 18 or thereabouts. He looked like a potential world beater, but I haven't seen him since. Do you know who I'm talking about and what happened to him?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I think i know who you are talking about, a young country boy who played on the wing in two and showed real potential - next year he wasnt there. Maybe back to the farm.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
Coedi Towney went to league where he signed with the Tigers. Went to the Panthers and I believe had some discipline problems breaking his hand in a fight was one of them. Last seen in the Reserve Grade league comp. I think its the NSW Cup or Jim Beam. Had an amazing amount of potential when he played first grade when still only 18. Phil Blake was the coach at the time.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Coedi Towney went to league where he signed with the Tigers. Went to the Panthers and I believe had some discipline problems breaking his hand in a fight was one of them. Last seen in the Reserve Grade league comp. I think its the NSW Cup or Jim Beam. Had an amazing amount of potential when he played first grade when still only 18. Phil Blake was the coach at the time.

Thanks Lily, that name rings a bell.

Status
Not open for further replies.