• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

MANLY 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
Very nervous about tomorrow heart says patched up Marlins just .... Gilmour now out , Helu in centres Damien Reti gets his chance on wing. Will be good to be at the Village Green come what may.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Great idea -
http://www.manlyrugby.com.au/news-m...724-courageous-effort-from-marlins-academy-xv

Missed this one, hopefully we see more of this games.

It is stuff like this that makes Rugby the game that is played in heaven, and not on the eastern seaboard of Australia, Auckland, and in northern England.

Should be more of it.

Snouts tell me that the Southland Boys are playing Augies at Rat Park on Tuesday next week. Should be a good game.
I think Augies beat them by a narrow margin on their tour to NZ last year.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Taken a couple of days to work out what to say.
Staying in tune with the new couch - do the basics right. A couple of Phil's quotes;
- across the board they are as good as we are going to come accross in this competition.
- if we have belief we will get to where we want to be.

Eastwood would struggle to field a stronger side, they had most of their players on deck.

We leaked 6 tries on the weekend, defence? I think it was more the defensive structure / communication that let us down rather than the one on one defence. Gaps were created were they ussually wouldn't have been.
A change in coach on Tuesday night, and a change in the midfield on Thursday night may have had an impact in this area.

Grade - 2's (win), 3's (close loss), 4's (close loss) - it could have almost been 3 from 4 in grade.
Colts - had 23 players absent. 1st's - questionable penalty after the bell resulted in a loss, 2's & 3's suffered because of abesntees.

HUGE WEEKEND DOWN AT MANLY OVAL THIS WEEKEND.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
events-header.jpg

Colts Lunch with Steve Williams - Saturday 4 May

LAST CHANCE TO BUY TICKETS FOR THE STEVE WILLIAMS LUNCH.

Go on-line now to book your seat www.trybooking.com/46650
It is easy to book and there will be no ticket sales on the day.

Steve Williams Captain of the Marlins' 1983 Shute Shield winning team, Wallaby 1980-1985 playing 56 internationals, including 28 Tests, 1984 Grand Slam victory and captain of the Wallabies in 5 Tests.

Watch the exciting Colts style of play from the Balcony, the best seats in the house.

Date: Saturday 4 May 2013
Time: 1.00pm
Venue: The George Smith Room in the Manly Oval Pavilion
Cost: $50.00 per person, includes buffet lunch and drinks (beer, wine, soft from 1.00 to 3.00pm).

To Reserve your seat; make your booking at www.trybooking.com/46650by
Wednesday 1 May 2013. Seats are limited to 50. There will be no cash sales
on the day.

Our Lunch Sponsors; Ausflow Irrigation, Garfish Restaurants and Bring Back
Rucking Club (est 1823).

Contact Allan Dodd 0418 987 366 or Phil Brand 0421 612 248

rugbyvet

Chris McKivat (8)
Eastwood would struggle to field a stronger side, they had most of their players on deck.

Sorry I know this is a manly thread but according to Eastwood rugby newsletter they could get a lot stronger. Western force players Kieran Longbottom, Sam Wykes, Lachlan McCafferay, Chris Alcock and Mick Snowden and injured Damien Fitzpatrick would certainly strengthen the side.
Obviously Manly will be strengthened also by their many Super Stars.
I will agree when they met next it will be a different game.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Rugbyvet, its a thread for the interest, support, banter and tribalry of club rugby glad you posted, come by an post again. Woodies are another one of the clubs that have developed solid depth through hard work over a number of years - I was taking note of those players when I made that reference, that pays tribute to the Woodies depth and the players that turned up on Saturday.

The playing talent and depth unfortunately goes to sleep post Super & Shute - why can't a 3T be played in a 6 week window?

rugbyvet

Chris McKivat (8)
Thanks Dave.I Really enjoy the Shute shield chatter. Would love a more informed woodie to start a Eastwood thread.
3T- a dream it appears

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
In response to The Galah and Dave Beats hyperbole regarding the 3m's or MMM I'd like to add the following. Since Manly last won the Shute Shield in 1997 against Eastwood the Manly playing roster has included some of the following players.
Forwards
Willie O, Simon Kerr, Tony Daly, Damien Cummins, Josh Mann Rae, James Lakepa, Ruben Bilj, Eddie Aholelei, Elvis Taione, Salesi Manu, Jono Owen, Tim Fairbrother, Stu Wilson, Sean Maloney, Jarrod Heaney, Bruce Raque, Greg Peterson, Dylan Sigg, Ed Gower, Luke Jones, Caderyn Neville, James Campbell, Tim O'Brien, Matt Hodgson, Simon Kasprowicz, Marlon Solofuti, Tevita Metuisela, Ben Kennedy, Kotone Ale, Jordy Reid, Cliffy Palu and Geaorge Smith.
Backs
Chris Siale, Lui Siale, Ben Seymour, Dave Collis, Paul Warwick, Chris Malone, Peter Hewat, Willie Ripia,Scott Daruda, Paul Sheedy, Mark Swanepoel, Chris Cottee, Tyrone Smith, Andrew Smith, Robbie Coleman, Semi Taupeaafe, Meli Nakauta, Alaska Taufa, Emori Bolo Bolo, Nemani Nadolo, Leon Bott, Adam Darcy, Josh Valentine, Sam Harris, Siqeli Qua Qua, David Alo, Brian Sefenaia.

Some of the players only played together for short periods of time, but for several seasons in succession Manly have had very settled squads with a few new names playing part time rolls. An example being Nadolo who only played a handful of games before going to France. My point is that with all this talent and several first class coaches such as Melrose, McGoldrick, Cummins, Blake, Lane amongst others they still haven't been able to hold up the Shute Shield come seasons end. Manly have had a history of either chocking or just not lifting in the pressure moments during games. Last years second half against Souths would be the latest example.
Watching them play against Eastwood on Saturday it was great to see all the ManlyRoos guys coming through such as Alley and Crerar, Bergelin, BJ as well an injured Gilmore and the Hooper brothers. That said it is going to take alot of hard work from these guys and the coaching staff to get them to the level of Eastwood.
Lastly I know how strong and how mch depth most clubs have had over the same period of time but seriously no grandfinal appearances since 1997 with those guys playing. Extraordinary.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
A gutsy effort by Manly Colts 1's today. Down 5 regulars to start with and then losing their replacement 10 after about 10 minutes they got up 40 (4tries) to 27.

Easts started strong and scored first and led 8 nil after about 20 minutes. They were able to capitalise on a number of Manly mistakes and keep good pressure on the marlins. After manly started to settle down the game became a very physical and Manly were able to score a converted try and kick a penalty right on half time to lead 10 - 8. Manly had played most of the half with the starting 8 playing at no. 10 after the starting 10 suffered a bad shoulder injury and was replaced.

After half time Easts again started strong and scored an intercept to take a 15-10 lead. From here though Manly started to get good possession and put pressure on Easts and converted some penalties to take a handy lead 27-15. Easts were able to get good field position and put some good pressure on Manly which resulted in a yellow card to Manly after repeated infringements. Having the extra man and using the space well Easts scored an unconverted try to get within 7 but Manly held on well and were able to convert another 2 penalties to take the score out to 33-20. A try to Easts to get to within 6 points meant that the game would go down to the wire. Good attack from Easts and some very good defence by Manly in the final stages resulted in a turn over to Manly who spread the ball wide in their own 22 and broke away down the sideline. A kick and chase with the Easts cover being pressured and not recovering the ball saw Manly regathering near the line and score the final points to win 40-27.

All in all a good physical game if not a little scrappy. Mention must be made of the No.8 who played 10 for most of the game and was still able to provide good service to the back line and to the Manly kicker who managed 8 from 8 in very windy and difficult conditions.

A good recovery from Manly after last weeks narrow loss.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Great write up ILMF.
Strong wind down at Woollahra
In 3rds we ran with the wind in the first half and opened up a good lead. Brisby had a great half at 10, opening them up a number of times with the ball in both hands and some smart footwork. Just on the break camped on our own line Brisby made a try saving front on tackle and injured his shoulder, the following ruck ended in a brawl and both teams had their 6 sent to the bin. Game changing 2 minutes. Brisby didn't return, down a player for 10 and running into a stiff wind we were comprehensively beaten in the second half.

2nds run into the wind in the first half, we were strong in D and our form continued on - a sound, safe performance accoss the park, great work guys. Forwards going Forward enabled good ball to the backs

Firsts, into the very stiff wind in the first half, the talk in D could be heard from the side line and the structure returned. Jordy put a huge hit on their inside centre Azar who left the field and didn't return.
Our forward pack rumbled forward and the backs gelled for the first 60 minutes, Marshall and BJ shared the rule of 10 nicely and this created more opportunity. Some changes late in the game leaked a couple of try's. Chatter, Structure and dominating the collision in D was a huge improvement. Brain Sef, and Tim Fairbrother, Kotoni Ale had strong games.

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
Nice summaries ILMF and Dave . Dave we have discussed 10. Tom Chesters had a great game in 2's (earned the 3 B&F i believe) which clearly isn't BJ's natural or preferred home . Chesters to start at 10 this week - BJ to fullback? With Woody hopefully back , not sure about Northam and big Pete to return , as has been observed, MMM are spoiled for choice and pace in outside backs.

With Ed about to have a holiday its nice to see Ryan in form

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
In what's shaping as the biggest derby in recent memory there should be no excuse to miss this one!

The Rats are in their best form for some years and the Marlins look back in the groove after a strong win v the Beasts.

Play starts early with a combined format of Colts and Grade:

Manly Oval
9.00 4th grade
10.15 3rd Grade
11.40 2nd Grade
1.15 1st grade colts
3.10 1st grade

Keirle Park
10.00 3rd Grade Colts
11.15 2nd Grade colts

GET ALONG AND CHEER ON THE RED AND BLUE FOR THE BATTLE OF NORTHERN BEACHES RUGBY SUPREMACY.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Great day down at the Village Green for the local derby showing Bill Pulver and Nick Far Jones the strength and passion of club rugby. Rugby that should be invested in and further developed as it will develop growth and quality will rise.
2nd grade, a strong performance from the 15 - Forwards created a dominant platform, with some sound go forwad and Chesters marshalled the back line for a good win, and Joe Christie had a strong game in attack.
1st Colts, dominant display for the full 80. The game was a little static due to Rats ill discipline with 2 sin binnings and a send off. Reece Hodge, Ben Fakai, and Lalakai Foketi created havoc the hole game.
1st grade, Rat Kill Hill was packed, and Tim led from the front the whole game. Was concerned when Kotoni sat on the hill through the warm up but Dan filled his shoes with a very similar game. A solid forward platform laid the foundations, and Brian Sef was everywhere in defence as the Rats tried hitting it up time and time again through their looseys up the centre. BJ, and Marshal shared the 10 / 15 roles and Sefiana provided space for Helu on a number of occasions. Hooper became more involved than recent weeks and was always a threat.

6 from 7 games this week and it is close at the top in the Club Champnships.

It was a close one out west last year, boots need to be packed this time round.

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
As I read the games Marlins could go back on top on club Championship this weekend. it will be interesting to track the CC in coming weeks - Uni would no doubt be favoured . it certainly adds interest in lower grades and going for bonus points

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Yes it is rather congested in at the top of the CC, we'll need to turn up with out boots this year. Last year we got a bit of a fright.
We still need to face the likes of Uni, Nth, Sths, all of which will be big games across grades and colts.

199madmave

Ward Prentice (10)
Great News!!!

At 32, Eddie Aholelei has been selected for Tongan 'Ikale Tahi duties for the upcoming Pacific Nations Cup http://bit.ly/12cJw6N

"I am very proud of my heritage. This selection means the world to my family and I, and I am looking forward to the challenge that lies ahead," said Aholelei.

Status
Not open for further replies.