• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Doesn't seem that big of a deal, in terms of guys in the 23

Hodge -> ?
Hardwick/T Ioane -> Already had a surplus of backrowers with Kemeny, Wilkin, Ekusi and Leota returning
Phillip -> Didn't play much and they've got 2 good starters now
Hosea -> LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
Orr -> Tupou
M Ioane -> Lancaster

Centre is going to continue to be the weak spot.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
You kidding aren't you?? Rebels aren't really losing that many?
Realistically, we're losing 6 important* players. Phillip, Hosea, Dickie, M Ioane, Hodge and Nu'u. the rest represent a set of Fourth string front rowers, an Injury replacement lock, a 3rd string scrumhalf, a backup backrower, and an undersized mid-20s winger.

LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Darby Lancaster are good recruits that cover one of Phillip/Hosea and Monty. Rob Leota returning (plus the form of Ekuasi) means replacing Dickie becomes about finding a backup Openside, not about replacing a best 23 backrower.

That leaves the centers, which has been a noted and heavily discussed issue for a long period of time.

*I recognise I may be overrating Nu'u when looking at his 2023 season, but I had him pencilled in as our 12 before his preseason injury issues.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
On the centres I see no rebels player at wests today & Lebron back playing for Endevour Hills.

atm I would be going
12 Ili
13 AK (Andrew Kellaway)
22 Lebron

Alex Ross (28)
Realistically, we're losing 6 important* players. Phillip, Hosea, Dickie, M Ioane, Hodge and Nu'u. the rest represent a set of Fourth string front rowers, an Injury replacement lock, a 3rd string scrumhalf, a backup backrower, and an undersized mid-20s winger.

LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Darby Lancaster are good recruits that cover one of Phillip/Hosea and Monty. Rob Leota returning (plus the form of Ekuasi) means replacing Dickie becomes about finding a backup Openside, not about replacing a best 23 backrower.

That leaves the centers, which has been a noted and heavily discussed issue for a long period of time.

*I recognise I may be overrating Nu'u when looking at his 2023 season, but I had him pencilled in as our 12 before his preseason injury issues.
Monty Ioane important? You have a neck tattoo quota to maintain or something?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Monty Ioane important? You have a neck tattoo quota to maintain or something?

I think important is reasonable succinct shorthand to compare and describe those 6, composed of 3 players who were consistently part of our strongest/most preferred 23, 2 who would have been without the impact of long term injuries, and a senior body in a position we have noted issues with, against the other 7 departures who are best considered depth and/or development players, and, without having gone and checked, probably played less than 12 times as a collective across the season. The group of players for whom recruitment and coaching staff need to actively find replacements for (which we have in the form of Lancaster for Ioane), rather than elevating a local school leaver, or non-elite U20s squad member.

Would you have preferred "part of the 2023 core group, injuries notwithstanding"? "internationally capped group plus maturing local talent and mature positional depth"?

Alex Ross (28)
I think important is reasonable succinct shorthand to compare and describe those 6, composed of 3 players who were consistently part of our strongest/most preferred 23, 2 who would have been without the impact of long term injuries, and a senior body in a position we have noted issues with, against the other 7 departures who are best considered depth and/or development players, and, without having gone and checked, probably played less than 12 times as a collective across the season. The group of players for whom recruitment and coaching staff need to actively find replacements for (which we have in the form of Lancaster for Ioane), rather than elevating a local school leaver, or non-elite U20s squad member.

Would you have preferred "part of the 2023 core group, injuries notwithstanding"? "internationally capped group plus maturing local talent and mature positional depth"?
I just think he was pretty disappointing, and offered very little to the Rebels.

rugbyAU

Arch Winning (36)
Rebels still need some more big signings in the backline if their going to challenge for finals next year

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
hahaha get the fuck outta here, Rebels sign Matt Proctor. Brilliant signing. Yee-haw. Really changes that backline.

my left field pick would be Matt Proctor, who seems to be clubless at 30 after having been released by Northampton.

Sign me the fuck up @MelbourneRebels We're clearly on the same wavelength

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Though you're right, even with one good centre we're still a bit fucked: 10. Gordon 11. Anderson 12. Mystery Magic Centre #1 13. Mystery Magic Centre #2 14. Kellaway 15. Gordon
That fills in one mystery magic centre.
I think Matt normally plays 13, which is interesting I thought they were going to push Kellaway there. Maybe shift Matt into 12, dunno.

9. Louwrens (looks like he'll be around again)
10. Gordon
11. Anderson
12. Proctor
13. Kellaway
14. Lancaster
15. M. Gordon

Getting there, not sure if Matt plays 12 or if Mason is ready to start or if Lancaster is ready too. Lot of ifs there.

I predict Stacey Ili will be re-signed to help that centre mix.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Doesn't seem that big of a deal, in terms of guys in the 23

Hodge -> ?
Hardwick/T Ioane -> Already had a surplus of backrowers with Kemeny, Wilkin, Ekusi and Leota returning
Phillip -> Didn't play much and they've got 2 good starters now
Hosea -> LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
Orr -> Tupou
M Ioane -> Lancaster

Centre is going to continue to be the weak spot.
Canham is hardly a good starter yet (but I like him) Losing BOTH Philip and Hosea is bad. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) is a good replacement for either one of them, not both. Net loss here.

Losing the 2nd choice no.7 and 1st choice no.8 in Hardwick. Ekuasi was a surprise find but who will be Wilkins backup? If Wilkins needs resting, is Hough (unsighted in 2023) the next man up? Net loss here.

Orr: Losing a good LHP and gaining a THP prop is not a straight forward switch. Eloff will need to dedicate to the LHP to make this a net gain. There is no point holding the TH side strong if the LH side is getting rolled.

Ioane for Lancaster is not like for like. Brumbies maintained a strong team with 3 smaller outside backs, so yes so could the Rebels, but the Brumbies had strong centres and the Rebels just got weaker losing Hodge. Ili (12) and Riply (13) will really need to punch hard to give the back 3 some room. Losing Hodge and Ioane and replacing them with Lancaster? A net loss here also.

Just saw Rebels got Matt Proctor, this makes a difference and a positive one. Not a net gain across centres and OBs, but no longer a loss. Losing Hodge isn't great, but Proctor offers more of whats needed in that 13 channel.