• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
1 is a long way off successful pro golfer, most tour pro's would play off around +5, someone did a handicap for Dustin Johnson a few years ago over about 3 months and it came back as +12.

I play a bit with a guy whose brother is on the aus tour & he always said if I dont got around in 4 under min off the club tees i'll give my tour card in!!!!!!!

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Was in jest but could full time training not shave off a few to get him there?
It's a massive jump, he could easily become a club pro or play pro am tours. But jump from that level to full time tour pro is the same as a regular golfer jumping from 20 to single figures, not impossible but a huge improvement.
I play a bit with a guy whose brother is on the aus tour & he always said if I dont got around in 4 under min off the club tees i'll give my tour card in!!!!!!!
Sounds fair, and that's only the Aus tour.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Completely off topic but I was surprised to see one season Rebel Afusipa Taumoepeau still running around and selected for the Tongan squad at 33: he's gotten over 200 games in France and a dozen international caps so far is pretty good for a player I hadn't thought about in a long a time.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
A quality round in my circles is if you hit in the high 80s or low 90s lol
Play once or twice a year and still break 90, when I was a teen and not working on summer holidays I had a single figure handicap. Then again in my 20's before life got real and in the way of having time to play.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Fa’amausili’s retention will further boost a world class Rebels forward pack, boasting Wallabies Taniela Tupou, Sam Talakai, Matt Gibbon, Jordan Uelese, Lukhan Salakaia-Loto and returning Rebels Captain, Rob Leota.

This is interesting. Stuff up from media manager or good indication of discussions? Given Phillip ain't there it definitely isn't just listing every current Wallaby.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Bloody brilliant, one small but vital corner of our team is complete. Having two absolute quality tight heads is a championship team move. Now just need to fill out the other 21 positions.

Scrub that, have Talakai signed for another year too. 3 Wallabies tight heads is just gluttonous.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
This is interesting. Stuff up from media manager or good indication of discussions? Given Phillip ain't there it definitely isn't just listing every current Wallaby.
I was reading that too, is that @MelbourneRebels revealing their hand a bit early?
With Tupou coming in where does that leave Sam Talakai and the big Cabous?
Cabous is a loosie these days, it leaves him in very good company in the front row. Talakai less so.

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
Uelese hasn't confirmed he is leaving so to not include him would be a significant stuff up. At this time he is still a Rebels player and a current eligible Wallaby so needs to be included in that list.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
If that email is to be believed, it's a heavy, heavy forward pack. Light on in the row though.

1. Gibbon
2. Uelese
3. Tupou
4. Salakai-Loto
5. Canham
6. Kemeny
7. Wilkin
8. Leota
16. Mafi
17. Eloff
18. Fa'amausili
19. Maiava - expecting more from him next year, big man big goals
20. Ekuasi

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Uelese hasn't confirmed he is leaving so to not include him would be a significant stuff up. At this time he is still a Rebels player and a current eligible Wallaby so needs to be included in that list.
Bit weird, just wouldn't have done that then before he re-signs.

Gibbo - Uelese - Tupou
Eloff- Mafi - Pone
Kailea/Orr - Rangi/Fourie - Talakai

That front row group is silly. Legit though, how does Rugby Australia let that happen.
I wonder if we can loan Talakai out? Reds, Waratahs and Western Force all need tight heads. Or can he play 13?

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
I’m very happy with Pone staying, however I’d be hypocritical if I didn’t think the Rebels have too many quality TH. Ino Eloff a LH these days but apart from Brums could legit be starting TH at any other Aus franchise. Aus rugby needs to be better at attracting talent to the other franchises. Pone or Talakai at Force or Reds would immediately improve the team.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I'm mostly joking re "How could RA do this?"

But fr there should be more... encouragement on the higher level around "equalisation", even if it involves buying out or shuffling contracts around.

That's not to say everyone should go raiding the brumbies or something, that's both unreasonable and can be fraught with... false impressions (see, Joe Powell), but it's in RAs best interest to have teams be competitive and as many potential Wallabies starting as possible and I'm not the right players are in the right place for that.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Talakai should go the Force or back to the Reds

Tahs are fine with HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) Botha and Holz

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
With Tupou coming in where does that leave Sam Talakai and the big Cabous?
All on contract except Orr. Finding it a little bizzare. If I was the rebels whilst I would WANT to have them all, but I don't need them all, there are other positions they need filling moreso then THP now.

BUT Eloff will becoming a full time loosehead (With Gibbon). - THPS being Tupou & Pone --> Talakai becomes the 5th prop and Orr moves on.

For me - Eloff is a wallaby when he is eligible and slipper retires (a 5 prop pack of Eloff, Bell, Ala'alatoa, Tupou, Pone)

As a Reds fan - I'm hoping they release Talakai (and I hope he wants to go) and he comes back to Qld who NEED him.