• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Salakaia-Loto confirmed on a two season deal via members email.

Josh Canham the only second row name dropped in the email, more or less confirms the departures of Phillip and Hosea in so many words.
Pretty exciting too considering he's already got 30 caps yet so young. Only starting to enter his prime lock years now at 26.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Pretty exciting too considering he's already got 30 caps yet so young. Only starting to enter his prime lock years now at 26.

If one or more of Smith, Tualima and maybe Maiava (I think we probably see him as a 6 at this level) can step up, then even if Uelese and Pone are moved on I think we've got a first string forward pack (including bench) that should be able to really take it to any team in the comp.

Just need a few backline top-ups and news on our unsigned group now.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
If one or more of Smith, Tualima and maybe Maiava (I think we probably see him as a 6 at this level) can step up, then even if Uelese and Pone are moved on I think we've got a first string forward pack (including bench) that should be able to really take it to any team in the comp.

Just need a few backline top-ups and news on our unsigned group now.
I'm excited for Ekausi to get a season now out of Hardwick's shadow.

But yes I don't think we can make any progress unless we sort out our midfield.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Club marketing strategy is obviously not for us on the forums in the middle of the work day then :)

Still, I would have much rather known that Phillip, Hosea, Dickie etc. are gone going into the last couple of rounds (yes, making a big deal of Hodge was important, but still) rather than having to wait weeks till they'll get to be part of a paragraphs in the email that will include players who are departing primarily due to lack of contract.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
From the front page, I've crossed out who's already confirmed leaving:
Theo Fourie (2023?) - keen to keep. Expect to re-sign, he seemed very happy on debut
Jordan Uelese (2023) -
Isaac Aedo Kailea (2023?) - promising signs, should keep
Jaiden Christian (2023?)
Pone Fa'amausili (2023) - would be great to keep especially as I'm sure Tupou won't play big minutes
Cameron Orr (2023) - seems on the outer
Trevor Hosea (2023)
Matt Philip (2023)
Richard Hardwick (2023)

Zac Hough (2023) - didn't make the u20s this year which isn't a great sign. Who's our onballer if Wilkin is injured?
Leafi Talataina (2023?)
Tamati Ioane (2023?) - Probably surplus
Moses Sorovi (2023) - seems on the outer
Ryan Louwrens (2023?) - surplus
Lukas Ripley (2023) - hasn't covered himself in glory but I think he'll come good
Stacey Ili (2023) - Melbourne based, might want to hang around, thought he was good for first half of the season but doesn't open up the backs
Divad Palu (2023?)
Illy Vudogo (2023)

So new scrumhalf and centre(s) needed please

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
From the front page, I've crossed out who's already confirmed leaving:
Theo Fourie (2023?) - keen to keep. Expect to re-sign, he seemed very happy on debut
Jordan Uelese (2023) -
Isaac Aedo Kailea (2023?) - promising signs, should keep
Jaiden Christian (2023?)
Pone Fa'amausili (2023) - would be great to keep especially as I'm sure Tupou won't play big minutes
Cameron Orr (2023) - seems on the outer
Trevor Hosea (2023)
Matt Philip (2023)
Richard Hardwick (2023)

Zac Hough (2023) - didn't make the u20s this year which isn't a great sign. Who's our onballer if Wilkin is injured?
Leafi Talataina (2023?)
Tamati Ioane (2023?) - Probably surplus
Moses Sorovi (2023) - seems on the outer
Ryan Louwrens (2023?) - surplus
Lukas Ripley (2023) - hasn't covered himself in glory but I think he'll come good
Stacey Ili (2023) - Melbourne based, might want to hang around, thought he was good for first half of the season but doesn't open up the backs
Divad Palu (2023?)
Illy Vudogo (2023)

So new scrumhalf and centre(s) needed please

Thanks for this - assuming that 50% of these don't stay on - we can expect to see another 10ish signings - lock, centres and scrumhalves needed

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I'd imagine so too, but it doesn't make me happy about it! I don't mind Louwrens as a rugby player, but I can't help but feel the physicality and speed from the base of the ruck that he plays with suits the style that we would ideally be playing with Gordon.

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
Not sure about the length of his contract, I wonder whether Kemu Valentini would be a good squad player as back up to Carter?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
If Carter goes down we're fucked anyway lmao

I think if we're recruiting a backup we need someone who we're confident can produce more than Jooste based on track record (Hegarty perhaps, Sam Greene if he's interested in playing domestically again?), otherwise I think we'd be better off trying to pinch McLaughlin-Phillips from under the Reds noses.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Strong chance his brother will play back up. But a journeyman cheap experienced option isn’t a bad shout.

Will Harrison wouldn’t be bad either as a 2nd choice and allow a change of scenery.