• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Doritos Day

Tom Lawton (22)
Talking Forwards and tight forwards I think it is relevant still. Kerevi being a Centre I don't care, I do think you can play almost anywhere in the world.
Makes sense if you watch games. It's not a very physical/attritional comp. Plenty of space to work with and I wouldn't say hitting rucks or similar grunt work is massively important compared to other leagues.

There's also the same issue as Super Rugby; not playing enough games. This is fine for someone like Kerevi who went over a good player needing refinement, but for guys like Hosea who are a lot more raw it isn't great.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
One year deal for these two who are yet to show worth is hard to get excited about. But if Carter is anything to go by, Mason should be held onto.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That is seriously disappointing, I know the 7s are feeders and less money but it sucks losing these guys from 7s. Toole elated us to almost best in the world status.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
7s should absolutely serve as a pathway to 15s

there’s a lot of great rugby league talent who wouldn’t consider 15s but they may end up in our game via 7s route (travelling etc)

the Aussie 7s team will be ok. Congrats on Lancaster - hard work into reward of a 15s contract

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
I would presume he will still be eligible for the Olympics? I can actually see a pretty amazing list of Super Rugby players (incl. Pincus & Anderson) being in the mix now that Rugby AU doesn't maintain a FT squad of 20 for Men's Sevens.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
1. Gibbon
2. Mafi
3. Tupou
4. Salakai-Loto
5. Canham
6. Leota
7. Wilkin
8. Ekausi
9. Tuttle
10. Gordon
11. Anderson
12. Feliuai
13. Ripley
14. Pincus
15. Kellaway
16. Rangi
17. Eloff
18. Talakai
19. Smith
20. Kemeny
21. ?
22. Vaihu/Vaihu
23. Gordon

Interesting that Kemeny is kept on the bench. But knowing us, we will never have a fully fit 23.
This is my best XV. Based off a few assumptions:
- Uelese, Fa'amausili, Louwrens, Hardwick & Ili move on. This is based off players already re-signed in their positions and Aus. eligibility.
- I think Ripley will be re-signed.

Pone's Mullet

Dave Cowper (27)
1. Gibbon
2. Mafi
3. Tupou
4. Salakai-Loto
5. Canham
6. Leota
7. Wilkin
8. Ekausi
9. Tuttle
10. Gordon
11. Anderson
12. Feliuai
13. Ripley
14. Pincus
15. Kellaway
16. Rangi
17. Eloff
18. Talakai
19. Smith
20. Kemeny
21. ?
22. Vaihu/Vaihu
23. Gordon

Interesting that Kemeny is kept on the bench. But knowing us, we will never have a fully fit 23.
This is my best XV. Based off a few assumptions:
- Uelese, Fa'amausili, Louwrens, Hardwick & Ili move on. This is based off players already re-signed in their positions and Aus. eligibility.
- I think Ripley will be re-signed.
We'll see how Fourie goes, might leapfrog Rangi, I can see Daniel Maiava coming in at 21 - looked good when he played and doing well in the Hospital Cup. I think Dickie might stay

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
We'll see how Fourie goes, might leapfrog Rangi, I can see Daniel Maiava coming in at 21 - looked good when he played and doing well in the Hospital Cup. I think Dickie might stay
Would absolutely love Dickie to stay. Probably been the best of the season. Also same goes for Uelese & Fa'amausili too. The others.. less fussed.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Especially in an Olympic year.

Good footballer though and should be in the 15s. It's a good pickup and the Rebels are building some squad depth and they are Wallaby eligible. Vaihu, Gordon M, Lancaster, Fowler all current U20 backs
The Rebels said they would be “encouraging” him to play in the Olympics, with their coach Kevin Foote a former South Africa Sevens representative.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Midfield a worry - has been since Inman & Ellison - but otherwise a strong looking team for '24.

I have a feeling that Jones will love Uelese, for his size alone. Not impossible he stays.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Back row is going to be a nice problem. With Leota back we are loaded with 6/8s.

I can see a big future for Kemeny and believe he will one day wear Gold. So could see him getting a lot of starts at 6.

Only issue in the back row is no.7 if Dickie leaves. There isn’t much behind Wilkin.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Back row is going to be a nice problem. With Leota back we are loaded with 6/8s.

I can see a big future for Kemeny and believe he will one day wear Gold. So could see him getting a lot of starts at 6.

Only issue in the back row is no.7 if Dickie leaves. There isn’t much behind Wilkin.
Zac Hough? Has he been playing in QPR?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I know it's not the Australian way to do a back row, but I have no problem with the idea of a Kemeny-Ekuasi-Leota grouping in the event Wilkin is unavailable for a period of time.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
I know it's not the Australian way to do a back row, but I have no problem with the idea of a Kemeny-Ekuasi-Leota grouping in the event Wilkin is unavailable for a period of time.
Leota had played 7 a few times for the Rebels at the start of his career. So wouldn’t be the worst.