• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
The Roar article on LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Phillip and Hosea saying Trevs offer is too great of an amount to reject. I wonder if it’s towards the $800k-$1m mark. And then weighing that up against the $150-200k on offer here.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
The Roar article on LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Phillip and Hosea saying Trevs offer is too great of an amount to reject. I wonder if it’s towards the $800k-$1m mark. And then weighing that up against the $150-200k on offer here.
Jesus that’s steep. Wonder if it’s even more because he’s not capped. It’s just a long way to Gold for Hosea now, almost certainly rules him out of a Lions Series and leaves little time for RWC27.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
That’s pretty brutal about Trevor, I felt he’s pretty close to a Wallaby call up. Hope he comes back eventually.

Philip I’m resigned to losing already.
Going to the club where Eddie is a consultant. Wouldn't been surprised if he got the early notice he is not in plans for this WC, or even Lions, but for next WC. Can see him coming back for 26/27 - perhaps hockings also.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Jesus that’s steep. Wonder if it’s even more because he’s not capped. It’s just a long way to Gold for Hosea now, almost certainly rules him out of a Lions Series and leaves little time for RWC27.
I’m just throwing numbers out there. But the article said “Suntory, who have Jones as a consultant, threw bucket loads of cash in Hosea’s direction. In the end, it was an offer he couldn’t refuse.”

He’d be around the $200m mark for a Super Rugby contract, so just projecting what too good to refuse might be. Maybe it’s $600-700k?

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Going to the club where Eddie is a consultant. Wouldn't been surprised if he got the early notice he is not in plans for this WC, or even Lions, but for next WC. Can see him coming back for 26/27 - perhaps hockings also.
It could just be one of these 12-18months things where a guy not in the direct plans gets paid handsomely. Then comes back, we have had this now with Philip and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto).

Jones as a consultant is a good thing in this as they would of had him involved in some capacity and if he didn’t rate wouldn’t be heading there.

I also have a sneaky suspicion we might see Hockings back in Australia. The World XV inclusion is a game Jones is heavily involved with, Hosea going to the same club in the same position. Maybe I’m been a little conspiracy theorist.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
It could just be one of these 12-18months things where a guy not in the direct plans gets paid handsomely. Then comes back, we have had this now with Philip and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto).

Jones as a consultant is a good thing in this as they would of had him involved in some capacity and if he didn’t rate wouldn’t be heading there.

I also have a sneaky suspicion we might see Hockings back in Australia. The World XV inclusion is a game Jones is heavily involved with, Hosea going to the same club in the same position. Maybe I’m been a little conspiracy theorist.
But Philip & Salakaia-Loto were more established than Hosea, think they were both capped? Hosea will need a solid super season to state his case

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

I’m just throwing numbers out there. But the article said “Suntory, who have Jones as a consultant, threw bucket loads of cash in Hosea’s direction. In the end, it was an offer he couldn’t refuse.”

He’d be around the $200m mark for a Super Rugby contract, so just projecting what too good to refuse might be. Maybe it’s $600-700k?

800k wouldn't surprise me, locks are the highest paid position in Europe

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Locks are something Japan will pretty much never produce themselves too.
There isn’t any real collaboration between Union and teams in Japan, so I don’t see this been anything more than a team wanting a player for their own gain and not for future national qualification.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I mean they literally don't have any good local locks therefore the clubs need to fill their locks with overseas players - nothing to do with the national side.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
It could just be one of these 12-18months things where a guy not in the direct plans gets paid handsomely. Then comes back, we have had this now with Philip and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto).

Oh I'm sure he will go hard at Hockings also. Not for this year but for the next cycle. Arnold, Arnold, Skelton & Neville likely won't be seen in gold post the WC, or at least post Lions (except Neville).
Philip just stay away.

Leaving Rodda, Frost, Swain here. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) and Amarosino will add needed size options in the post Skelton/Neville world and Hockings could hope ahead of Swain and Rodda if he were to return.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
He will be back for 27 surely

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
He will be back for 27 surely
You reckon?

I have a feeling he's a bloke that will go overseas and we will forget about him. Maybe it's been the injury lay off is taking a while to get back into it but he's been very flat. He'd have to want to come back as I'm not sure he'll be chased (on current performance). If he goes to Japan I don't think it will help his game all that much. People have said how the technical aspect of the game if great there but the tight forwards need development in brute force more than anything. The Europeans develop that much better IMO

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
If he goes to Japan I don't think it will help his game all that much. People have said how the technical aspect of the game if great there but the tight forwards need development in brute force more than anything. The Europeans develop that much better IMO

100 percent - Any wallaby or super rugby player who chooses Japan over Europe knows they are sacrificing their own development for the payday and a more friendly Timezone aligned to their Australian families and friends.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
100 percent - Any wallaby or super rugby player who chooses Japan over Europe knows they are sacrificing their own development for the payday and a more friendly Timezone aligned to their Australian families and friends.
Are we still saying this is 2023?

There is so many examples now of players returning from Japan a better player. Barring examples of previously established players like Kerevi showing at international level their game has gone to a new level. There is other ones that went and came back to Super Rugby better players. Cayden Neville went to Japan and then returned a considerably better player. Scott Fardy went to Japan relatively unknown and unable to lock down a Super Rugby spot, he returned a wallaby. Sam Talakai arguably better, Jed Holloway spent some time in Japan (although Europe as well).

Not every player will return better or worse as it’s not a simple equation. But it definitely isn’t the case of saying they are sacrificing their development. Some of these clubs are ultra professional and potentially can offer a level of professionalism we can’t afford to offer in some cases.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Yes , that’s my opinion @Wallaby Man and I will die on this mountain.

the French and English competition are filled with players vowing for tier 1 caps

the Japanese competition is filled with players vowing for caps from not a tier 1 playing pool and they have a few very well paid mercenaries rounding out the team.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Talking Forwards and tight forwards I think it is relevant still. Kerevi being a Centre I don't care, I do think you can play almost anywhere in the world.

Neville is probably the same player he was before and after. Competition for a Second Row spot within Aus was very weak at the time of his selections and I think European based Skelton will move ahead of him easily. Arnold hasn't developed in Japan (not playing granted). A better example of overseas growth is Holloway and what his time in Ireland has done for him.

Fardy is a good shout and definitely a late bloomer after being with the Rats for a number of seasons. I think the Brumbies would like to say they did what the Brumbies do which is find a rough diamond and polish it.