• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels vs Auckland Blues, May 15, 2021

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
urgh.gif

This thread will never die.

I will be giving it a weekly feelgood bump every week or so for the next 10 years.

Maybe 20.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Jeez. Jumping at a defensive lineout, five metres from your own line, while a man down, is a pure Sam Whitelock Crusaders big dick gigachad play. Though also pretty sensible choice when the alternative is a Rebel's maul and a 99% likelihood of a try.

Lucky Choat's yellow card somehow wasn't a penalty try though.

EDIT: I did genuinely appreciate To'omua's cheeky gamesmanship of trying to get one of his own players penalised to prevent a try though.

Should have been WOB. 17 -10 would have still had the Rebels in the game.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Been at the game the Blues players looked like mutants compared to the Rebels players, huge size difference especially in the backs between the 2 sides

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Was pretty entertaining game, and if this was your FTA game in Aus ,I thought the casuals would of enjoyed it, plenty of running and a some real great bits of skill the Blues put on at time.
Sotutu was my MOTM, and said earlier I was real impressed with young Zarn at 15, think he will be a bloody good 10 in a few years.
Oh and as you bastards up there got RTS (Roger Tuivasa-Sheck) and BB next year perhaps just send him down to Canes, we will look after him!;)

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
The Blues forwards look big and strong but unfit
Some bellies in there.

Karl T and Nepo on the "fuckit, we're props" diet.

Akira not exactly Karen Carpenter.

Match highlight was Koroibete giving swaggering Nepo the goddamn fright of his life and sitting him right on his extremely ample arse. Well, aside from all plays by Jailbreak Mission Control Commander Akira.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Match highlight was Koroibete giving swaggering Nepo the goddamn fright of his life and sitting him right on his extremely ample arse. Well, aside from all plays by Jailbreak Mission Control Commander Akira.

I was pleased to see Nepo get up and pat him on shoulder too DP, knew it was good hit and acknowledged it.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Was pretty entertaining game, and if this was your FTA game in Aus ,I thought the casuals would of enjoyed it, plenty of running and a some real great bits of skill the Blues put on at time.
Sotutu was my MOTM, and said earlier I was real impressed with young Zarn at 15, think he will be a bloody good 10 in a few years.
Oh and as you bastards up there got RTS (Roger Tuivasa-Sheck) and BB next year perhaps just send him down to Canes, we will look after him!;)

Pretty lopsided contest - only flicked through this one so not sure the casuals would have enjoyed it to get on the Rebels bandwagon. Blues line speed was excellent which constantly put Rebels backs under pressure was what I saw.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Pretty lopsided contest - only flicked through this one so not sure the casuals would have enjoyed it to get on the Rebels bandwagon. Blues line speed was excellent which constantly put Rebels backs under pressure was what I saw.

I would think casuals would of enjoyed some of the skills, I realise you don't watch a lot of games, but some of the skills shown are what surely the casuals like. May not have got anyone on Rebel's bandwagon, but I have watched almost all their games this year, (I know you don't believe in watching other countries games) and haven't seen them play any game that will get casuals on their bandwagon, but will get neutrals enjoyning game I meant.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I would think casuals would of enjoyed some of the skills, I realise you don't watch a lot of games, but some of the skills shown are what surely the casuals like. May not have got anyone on Rebel's bandwagon, but I have watched almost all their games this year, (I know you don't believe in watching other countries games) and haven't seen them play any game that will get casuals on their bandwagon, but will get neutrals enjoyning game I meant.

"I realise you don't watch a lot of games" Huh I watched all oz super rugby AU games including all rebels games and watched 4 TT games over the weekend and when got to 5th and last game to watch on replay which was Rebels game yes after watching it start to blow out loss interest and sped through the game via FF (Folau Fainga'a).

43k viewers on 9GEM watched the game - lot of casual fans obviously lining up for that cracking game Dan....

We have said this before Dan that the problem is not expanding interest in our game to rusted on like you who watch any rugby but those who are interested in oz teams where competing in crowded oz sports market. Hence this game actually won't do much to attract oz sports casual fans as majority like to see oz (not nz) team winner, and doubt it would even attract much nz oz sports fan casual viewer (as people want a contest - not lopped sided results).

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
Enjoyed being at the game.

Having a proper halfback, a genuine 12, a promising fullback and two fit wingers meant the Blues were able to take advantage of their forward dominance.

Speaking of forwards Sotutu has found his form over the past month. Such a skillful player.

Not sure where the Rebels go from here - perhaps they need to try Hodge at 10 and To'omua at 12. I'd be thinking about giving Lomani time at 9 too. Won't matter much if they can't organise a halfway competitive set piece or get some sting in the collisions though.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I been thinking kiwiM that with RTS (Roger Tuivasa-Sheck) and BB there next year, perhaps Zarn Sullivan maybe surplus to Blues requirements, so perhaps they could send him down Canes way. I think he will end up being abloody good 10!

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
I been thinking kiwiM that with RTS (Roger Tuivasa-Sheck) and BB there next year, perhaps Zarn Sullivan maybe surplus to Blues requirements, so perhaps they could send him down Canes way. I think he will end up being abloody good 10!

BB replaces Otere and I can see RTS (Roger Tuivasa-Sheck) replacing Heem or even Faiane at 12 (all signs point to Faiane going oveseas). It was interesting that Lam switched to the right wing when Telea came on last night.

Otere might go back down?