• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Moana Pasifika vs Waratahs, Sat. May 7 @ 1435, Auckland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Moana Pacifica was squeezed out by the Rebels last week by four. The Waratahs had a huge win (by 3) against the Crusaders. So, by the form book, the Waratahs should take it out easily. But... Moana Pacifica are at home with their fans to support and the Waratahs may suffer some let down from the emotion of last Saturday. It is not a foregone conclusion.

Johnson-Holmes looked properly crocked with a knee injury though I can't find anything on his condition. If he's out then Holtz has looked good when he's come on, but this week will be his first start I think. The back-up situation is either Ruan Smith or Tauakipulu. Tauakipulu looked way too inexperienced early in the season and Smith hasn't been sighted since Holtz jumped over him.

Porecki should be back, but how do you drop Vailanu? He was sensational last week! If Hooper fails the protocols then Gamble goes to 7 and we start both Warren-Vosayco and Harris or drop Sinclair back to 6, which is probably his best position. Backs as per last week.

I like the comments out of the camp: "Yes, it was a great win but we didn't play our best. Lots to work on. Monday was a hard review."

Last edited:

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Johnson-Holmes gone for the season. He will be missed more than some would think because he was a key part of the front row trio that our midfield defence is built around. Given our lack of depth at THP, I fear for our scrum against the better NZ teams.

Hooper is out for a week due to HIA recovery. Strange to say that I don't think he will be missed that badly; but Gamble, Warren-Vosayco, Sinclair and Harris will get the job done seamlessly.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Huge banana skin game for the Tahs. Coming off that win, no Hooper and HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes). Scrum likely won’t even be dominant. Pasifika first real home crowd. Could see them losing this or winning very narrowly. Maul them all game.

A mutterer

Desmond Connor (43)
Johnson-Holmes gone for the season. He will be missed more than some would think because he was a key part of the front row trio that our midfield defence is built around. Given our lack of depth at THP, I fear for our scrum against the better NZ teams.

Hooper is out for a week due to HIA recovery. Strange to say that I don't think he will be missed that badly; but Gamble, Warren-Vosayco, Sinclair and Harris will get the job done seamlessly.

thats disappointing for him. i think he's underrated by a few, but i like the way he plays for the team, performing more than just his core role. thought he was building nicely to some wobs performances later in the year.

this is a real test for the tahs to back up against a pasifika team that has been a bit unlucky and due for a win. they will be looking out our injury list and fancying their chances. will we see another uncontested scrums game from the tahs this weekend?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Will be interesting to see whether we go back to starting Cridge at lock and move Sinclair to 6 or Harris to 6 and leave Cridge on the bench.

I'd probably go with the latter.

Clearly Gamble will go to 7.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
No.PositionName
1LOOSEHEAD PROPAngus Bell (Sydney University)
2HOOKERDave Porecki (Manly)
3TIGHTHEAD PROPArcher Holz (Eastern Suburbs)
4LEFT LOCKJed Holloway (Southern Districts)
5RIGHT LOCKGeoff Cridge (West Harbour)
6LEFT FLANKERWill Harris (Eastern Suburbs)
7RIGHT FLANKERCharles Gamble (Eastern Suburbs)
8NUMBER EIGHTRahboni Warren-Vosayaco (Southern Districts)
9SCRUMHALFJake Gordon (Sydney University)(c)
10FLYHALFTane Edmed (Eastwood)
11LEFT WINGDylan Pietsch (Randwick)
12INSIDE CENTRELalakai Foketi (Manly)
13OUTSIDE CENTREIzaia Perese (Randwick)
14RIGHT WINGMark Nawaqanitawase (Eastwood)
15FULLBACKAlex Newsome (Eastern Suburbs)
Replacements:
16RESERVETom Horton (Sydney University)
17RESERVETe Tera Faulkner (Southern Districts)
18RESERVERuan Smith (Hunter Wildfires)
19RESERVEHugh Sinclair (Northern Suburbs)
20RESERVELangi Gleeson (Manly)
21RESERVEJack Grant (Eastern Suburbs)
22RESERVEBen Donaldson (Randwick)
23RESERVETriston Reilly (Randwick)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
DC said he come off 75 minutes against the Crusaders a bit flat. Getting a bit of rest.

He did put in a massive shift and almost certainly it was the biggest and most intense game of his career. I can certainly understand this.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
He did put in a massive shift and almost certainly it was the biggest and most intense game of his career. I can certainly understand this.
Hopefully DC is just throwing Horton some scraps and Vailanu will be back at 16 next Saturday. What he did against the Crusaders was an order of magnitude better than Horton's play this year.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Phew just checked the game is 16.35 local time, was trying to work out how I was going to get home to watch it, as I think it will be interesting game, and I got collge rugby to watch at 10.30am, Club colts 1.00pm, premiers at 3 pm, so if I quick will get home in time, as it a bout a 5 minute drive from ground to home:)

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Moana Pasifika: Danny Toala, Tima Fainga’anuku, Levi Aumua, Henry Taefu, Timoci Tavatavanawai, Christian Leali’ifano, Ereatara Enari, Henry Time-Stowers, Solomone Funaki, Michael Curry, Samuel Slade, Veikoso Poloniati, Sekope Kepu (c), Ray Niuia, Abraham Pole. Reserves: Luteru Tolai, Ezekiel Lindenmuth, Joe Apikotoa, Alex McRobbie, Jack Lam, Jonathan Taumateine, Lincoln McClutchie, Solomone Kata.

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
Surprised to see Leali’ifano there after the shot he copped from Ray Nu'u last week.

It is frustrating that Visinia has played so little this season after such a strong NPC for Hawke's Bay - however Toala went well at 15 last week I thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.