• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Moana v Reds 14/4

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Bugger me. Most people were predicting a loss anyway. We score 40 points in a win and still cop it.
They played solidly for most of the game, and their set piece in particular was much improved on recent weeks; however they still looked extremely clunky at times, and there was some pretty poor play during the final stanza. Could've been as a result of fatigue or the finishers, but they absolutely should have come away with a BP. They were lucky Moana fumbled a few chances too

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ Only saw the last ten minutes but did notice that the lights seemed to be in full effect which makes the kickoff time even more puzzling: if you can finish a game under lights at around 7pm local, what's to stop you kicking off at 7 or 7:30 to maximise the tv audience?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Some satisfied customers here frustrated by a desire by other fans who want more. I'd like to see us maximising our chances of making the finals. This result did not do that. It's not like we didn't have it within reach. Just little spark to finish. No points next week, right?

Three teams below us with he chance to earn 10 points. Two others with a shot at 5. Only needs three to pick up enough points as we spectate from (for now) position 6. Watching for three teams to take the opportunity presented. That math doesn't look too promising.

The W is pleasing. But given where we have put ourselves the tantalising BP was important.

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
2pm kick off. I watched on delay and missed the last 20m - not unhappy about that.

This win should provide the Reds with some confidence. They looked cohesive.

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
^ Only saw the last ten minutes but did notice that the lights seemed to be in full effect which makes the kickoff time even more puzzling: if you can finish a game under lights at around 7pm local, what's to stop you kicking off at 7 or 7:30 to maximise the tv audience?
Before the game they explained the last buses back to the villages left at 7pm. Samoa time.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Some satisfied customers here frustrated by a desire by other fans who want more. I'd like to see us maximising our chances of making the finals. This result did not do that. It's not like we didn't have it within reach. Just little spark to finish. No points next week, right?

Three teams below us with he chance to earn 10 points. Two others with a shot at 5. Only needs three to pick up enough points as we spectate from (for now) position 6. Watching for three teams to take the opportunity presented. That math doesn't look too promising.

The W is pleasing. But given where we have put ourselves the tantalising BP was important.
I’d more say I’m just relieved.

Losing the bonus point was disappointing. But the team is under a lot of pressure. Lots of injuries. Have been out of form. Players left out of the Wallaby squad. Coach has been anointed a dead man walking. Sounds like travel plans went pear shaped yesterday and they had an 11 hr trip, getting in well after planned. Playing conditions very tough against a pumped up opposition.

It’s a game they had to win - but could easily have become de-railed. Especially when it was 14 all. There were a few heads down and confidence seemed in short supply.

I thought a few key guys knuckled down and made some good shifts. Still lots of work to do, but I’ll take the win.

Fireworks

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Reds looked much more direct especially in the first half with forwards actually running onto the ball at pace and getting over the advantage line. The set piece also looked much better. It looked like they really stripped back their game plan and focussed on getting the basics right this week (running hard, post-contact leg drive, catch/pass). I hope they can really build on this performance and get some consistency in two crucial games coming up against the Force and Tahs.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I’d more say I’m just relieved.

Losing the bonus point was disappointing. But the team is under a lot of pressure. Lots of injuries. Have been out of form. Players left out of the Wallaby squad. Coach has been anointed a dead man walking. Sounds like travel plans went pear shaped yesterday and they had an 11 hr trip, getting in well after planned. Playing conditions very tough against a pumped up opposition.

It’s a game they had to win - but could easily have become de-railed. Especially when it was 14 all. There were a few heads down and confidence seemed in short supply.

I thought a few key guys knuckled down and made some good shifts. Still lots of work to do, but I’ll take the win.

I think this is a good take. It was by no means an 80 minute performance and things got pretty sloppy in the last 20 minutes but it was an improved performance from a team that hasn't been good and were missing several important players.