• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Moana v Reds 14/4

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
I am happy we won, the conditions weren't kind.

I switched it on 20 minutes into the first half and was thinking it must be late in the second half based on how beat the players looked.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
That was my first thought, too, but if the last bus on Friday is at 7pm, what time is the last bus on Saturday?

Anyhoo, highlights are up in record time:

Feels like that's on Moana to solve no? Every other club has to have extra buses and staff running on game night.

Reactions: dru

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Michael Jones - what a legend.
Felt sorry for Niko Jones. Bit like watching Michael Jordan's kids play basketball. I guess.

He stands around in midfield, never runs with the ball, never gets close enough to the ruck in good enough time to even attempt a turnover. No instincts, no urgency, hesistant about everything. Absolute passenger.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Felt sorry for Niko Jones. Bit like watching Michael Jordan's kids play basketball. I guess.

He stands around in midfield, never runs with the ball, never gets close enough to the ruck in good enough time to even attempt a turnover. No instincts, no urgency, hesistant about everything. Absolute passenger.
Well - he’s a million times better player than me, so I won’t bag him. But I get your point.

I guess if your dad was as good as Michael Jones was you probably use your mothers maiden name or play a different sport. :)

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Well - he’s a million times better player than me, so I won’t bag him. But I get your point.

I guess if your dad was as good as Michael Jones was you probably use your mothers maiden name or play a different sport. :)

It puts Tom into some perspective.

Reactions: TSR

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Opinions on JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) at 12? I thought he was very solid and it was good to see him slotting in as a second playmaker often.

Gives a bit more credibility to the argument he should be in the WC squad as a utility imo

I felt like Creighton was a bit lost at times, and O'Connor stepped up when he saw this.

However, he did get caught out of position when Moana scored their first try. Interestingly, it looked to me liked he chastised Creighton for his low effort defence on that try.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
JOC (James O'Connor) got smashed for pace in the lead up to that try and then just jogged after the play as it went downfield. He has a hide if he chastised anyone after that lack of effort.

Fireworks

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I felt like Creighton was a bit lost at times, and O'Connor stepped up when he saw this.

However, he did get caught out of position when Moana scored their first try. Interestingly, it looked to me liked he chastised Creighton for his low effort defence on that try.
Definitely looked like it was a bad read by Creighton in defence for that Moana try. Just had to trust his outside (Campbell?) and not take the bait.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Opinions on JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) at 12? I thought he was very solid and it was good to see him slotting in as a second playmaker often.

Gives a bit more credibility to the argument he should be in the WC squad as a utility imo
I think there is an argument to made for that, but a better argument can be made for Hodge for the world cup bench spot.

Reactions: dru

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Feels like that's on Moana to solve no? Every other club has to have extra buses and staff running on game night.

Absolutely it's Moana's problem to solve but it may not be as simple as it sounds - e.g. how many buses are available to charter & at what cost? Sadly unless there's a buck or a few K in it for someone in authority it's unlikely the Gov't will chip in.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Absolutely it's Moana's problem to solve but it may not be as simple as it sounds - e.g. how many buses are available to charter & at what cost? Sadly unless there's a buck or a few K in it for someone in authority it's unlikely the Gov't will chip in.
Yeah, none of it is going to happen without clever, intentional scheduling at a competition level, something we seem world's away from right now.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

Apparently enough to run earlier. Either MP (Moana Pasifika) are ready to contribute to an international sporting comp, or they are not.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Surely those questions were asked by NZRU when Moana sent through their prospectus to join the competition?

Given how long Moana have been forced to play in Auckland, it's concerning how much or little support they're getting especially compared to the Drua.

Spamnoodle

Sydney Middleton (9)
Given how long Moana have been forced to play in Auckland, it's concerning how much or little support they're getting especially compared to the Drua.
Maybe the difference is the Drua are specifically aligned with Fiji whereas Moana Pacifica is a somewhat vague affiliation of rugby playing island nations, albiet with a strong Samoan flavour.