• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Moana v Reds 14/4

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Maybe the difference is the Drua are specifically aligned with Fiji whereas Moana Pacifica is a somewhat vague affiliation of rugby playing island nations, albiet with a strong Samoan flavour.
I wouldn't want to watch a team that is a merger of different areas, especially not with other countries, as a supporter you want to feel some type of ownership of the team, not sharing it

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
I wouldn't want to watch a team that is a merger of different areas, especially not with other countries, as a supporter you want to feel some type of ownership of the team, not sharing it
If you were from a nation / region that had not previously had any form of representation in the competition, I'm sure you would.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
If you were from a nation / region that had not previously had any form of representation in the competition, I'm sure you would.
Possibly, but if I was in one of those regions I would probably still prefer my own team rather than a shared team

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Maybe the difference is the Drua are specifically aligned with Fiji whereas Moana Pacifica is a somewhat vague affiliation of rugby playing island nations, albiet with a strong Samoan flavour.
This is the issue.

There’s more NZ Rugby appointed board members on the Moana Pasifika board then there are Samoan or Tonga Rugby appointed board members, on the later I’m not sure there’s any.

Alignment between Samoan and Tongan rugby union is poor, Moana currently is been run as a loosely affiliated 6th NZ Rugby team.

One game in Samoa in 2 years and we’re wondering why their is a disconnect?

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

Also Moana are basically an NPC rep side of players that qualify with pacific heritage, The Drua to help build their squad pillaged the country's 7's side for depth as well as local players. Not just a bunch NPC/Shute/Hospital cup guys.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
If it was a horse race I'd want both horses swabbed.

Moana Pacifica playing reasonably well up to now, their first "home" game in Samoa for two years, you'd expect every player to be playing out of their skins, like the Drua do in Fiji. Hot and humid weather.

The Reds playing absolute rubbish all year, tight five are second grade hospital cup, lots of their best players are injured, their 10 is awful, they are playing away.

Reds 40. Moana 28. Picking outcomes based on form is not an easy project.