• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Munster v. Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rothschild

To my knowledge no one ever understood a word that Brock was saying but that didn't stop him being a very successful Bledisloe Cup winning coach.

What – 4 from 10 is very successful? I suppose so when compared to Dean’s record.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
As I (and others) expressed way back in June, the young guys would benefit greatly from having a few old heads in the squad (and on the field) in this type of situation. Obviously Robbie Deans doesn't agree with that theory (as he didn't select that type of player when he had the opportunity), but despite my lack of international rugby coaching experience, I'm going to stick with it.

The trouble was that when we gave these opinions deploring the lack of hard heads in the first squad of the year, we struggled to identify which hard heads should have been included. Trawling through the names of the S14 players the only name we could come up with as missing belonged to Van Humphries.

When the tour party was named I wrote that our dirt tracker team would have trouble against the hard heads of Leicester and Munster even knowing that the best of their players would be quarantined by national teams. It would be a good experience to play against such folk said I.

But then Munster had a horrid run of injuries. In the last game they played before they met Oz, whilst the Wallabies were in Hong Kong, they were down to 16 contracted players, taking into account 9 others protected by Ireland.

Even considering the execrable weather and the home crowd, it was galling to see how our forwards played against a provincial pack so stricken by absences and which had uncontracted players or those with not much pro experience.

That was the worst thing about the defeat to Munster, and contrariwise, the best part for them.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Van Humphries may have been the only name widely accepted, but Phil Waugh (as a leader and hard/bleeding head) and Al Baxter (seasoned if less hard headed) were both also proposed by me. In the case of Waugh, it was specifically a captain of the Aussie BaaBaas and dirt trackers for the tour. Soon after the naming of the squad, all three of them were injured, but their omission when fit was for me evidence of the mindset of the selectors (ie their potential contribution was not considered sufficiently valuable).

You are of course right that we just don't have enough hard heads to call upon, especially when injuries are taken into account.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
What - 4 from 10 is very successful? I suppose so when compared to Dean’s record.

No, Rothschild, compared to previous Wallaby Coaches. In the nine years immediately prior to Brockhoff’s appointment Australia had won only seven of its last 39 Tests. In his first year as national coach the Wallabies won nine of twelve Tests, including defeating England twice to win the first home series in ten years.

When he returned to the national coaching position in 1979 the Wallabies beat the All Blacks in a one-off Test for the Bledisloe Cup, the first time Australia had held the Cup since Brockhoff had played for it thirty years earlier. It was also Australia’s first defeat of New Zealand in Australia since 1934.

I think old Brock is entitled to be regarded as a very successful coach but of course others may have higher standards.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I agree Langthorne regarding the poor selection of the squads as you know.

But there is also a distinct lack of forethought demonstrated in the selection as well. Thinking about the type of games we were destined to play during this tour taking into account the type of fields and weather conditions we would encounter I am still amazed that the selectors did not decide to take a few solid plodders and pot plants to grind out games in those conditions. Like others have made with the horse racing analogy its no use running a sprinter on such heavy tracks.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Just got back from the coast and saw the score for this game - ouch! For both teams really, and the supporters. Apparently conditions weren't great, so it's hard to determine how much the players were at fault.

It's very hard for those in this Australian A team to challenge for a test birth when they play in games such as these. Which unfortunately doesn't give Deans many selection headaches. One to forget I guess.

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
Firstly, how stoked are Munster with themselves, and rightly so.

Secondly, Robbies on the game via the NZ Herald...
"Some might suggest it was a futile exercise for us. I disagree," he said. "It was fantastic because this group of players don't get the opportunity to play this sort of contest often."

He admitted, though, that he'd been left none the wiser as to his test lineup.

"To that end, it probably wasn't ideal because it was difficult for individuals to thrive out there."
So it was a useless game to him in terms of selection, but good for the second string to get a run. He's writing the result off. How does this guy keep his job?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Firstly, how stoked are Munster with themselves, and rightly so.

Secondly, Robbies on the game via the NZ Herald... So it was a useless game to him in terms of selection, but good for the second string to get a run. He's writing the result off. How does this guy keep his job?

It was about seeing players perform under adversity and it was hard out there. I suggest how players react to the loss within the team may be just as important as form shown in that game.

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
Okay, I'm going to have to assume all that matters to you is the RWC result from here. Fair enough if so.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Okay, I'm going to have to assume all that matters to you is the RWC result from here. Fair enough if so.

Yes and no, a lot of these guys are fringe players and needed to be tested under real pressure, they failed, but I am sure how they react will be very important.

As for the RWC, I don't think we have a team to win it now. I am hoping that we are competitive and get to the semis.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
FP, with the 22 who played on the weekend against England, I agree. I think we have the backline to do it in 2011, but without the likes of TPN, Horwill and Palu, we don't have the pack to do it. It all starts there and we aren't getting enough go forward from the current pigs.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
If last season is anything to go by even having those guys back (and in form) will only result in parity at best in the forwards against the top teams. Hopefully parity will be enough for our mostly maturing backs. I'm a bit worried that we'll slip off the pace with the new S15 conference system. Playing saffers and kiwis regularly throughout the year is about the only thing keeping us in the top 3 atm I suspect.

R

Rothschild

I think old Brock is entitled to be regarded as a very successful coach but of course others may have higher standards.

To each their own I spose - any coach for mine that intentionally ignores 5 players in a team and plays that style does not do much for the development of the game I am afraid.
That famous quote - "all wingers should be drowned at birth" pretty well sums it up, but you are correct in a way, he was successful compared to other coaches but I really don't think his record or methods are anything to rave about.

Budgie

Chris McKivat (8)
Was Brock the inventor of the Up The Jumper Move, and the Flying Wedge with NSW Country in the "dark ages"?

Both moves are now enshrined in the Laws of Rugby as banned.

Certainly made his mark on the game with his revolutionary thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.