• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Munster v. Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Now, it's only fair to say that those conditions were the second filthiest I've ever seen in TP; only the Wasps game in 2008 was worse, and even then, it was a tough call. The posts were shaking.

But, to be honest, it wouldn't have mattered a damn. Your guys did try to play for position in the first half, but we were just on one of those nights when, if there's breaking ball of any kind, Christ help you, because there'll be about five guys howling down your throat and 20,000-odd baying for blood.

It's what we do. And a fair few guys tonight learnt it.

BTW, Nagle was superb, and Billy not far behind. In the two of them, and O'Mahony, I think we've found our successors.

Big up to Lindommer, too, for ringing to congratulate.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I'll add to Lindo's congrats, T78. Australia weren't just shit, they got done by a team that knows how to win, even fielding it's second- or third-string side. Fantastic performance by Munster.

M

munsterhouse

Now, it's only fair to say that those conditions were the second filthiest I've ever seen in TP; only the Wasps game in 2008 was worse, and even then, it was a tough call. The posts were shaking.

But, to be honest, it wouldn't have mattered a damn. Your guys did try to play for position in the first half, but we were just on one of those nights when, if there's breaking ball of any kind, Christ help you, because there'll be about five guys howling down your throat and 20,000-odd baying for blood.

It's what we do. And a fair few guys tonight learnt it.

BTW, Nagle was superb, and Billy not far behind. In the two of them, and O'Mahony, I think we've found our successors.

Big up to Lindommer, too, for ringing to congratulate.

do you remember the scarletts match in the HEC 2007-08

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
I do, but while it was God-awful, it wasn't as bad as tonight. Close, mind. The rain was worse in the Wasps game (admittedly, I was in the East Stand tonight, instead of the West Terrace). That one, I got wet - through a fucking drysuit.

Colomiers in 2001 in MP (Moana Pasifika) was a doozy, too.

Dark, filthy night, floodlights on, and helpless backs chasing a bobbling ball as the entire pack howl down on them like maddened wolves and the crowd baying for blood - sure, what more would you want? :D

M

munsterhouse

I do, but while it was God-awful, it wasn't as bad as tonight. Close, mind. The rain was worse in the Wasps game (admittedly, I was in the East Stand tonight, instead of the West Terrace). That one, I got wet - through a fucking drysuit.

Colomiers in 2001 in MP (Moana Pasifika) was a doozy, too.

Dark, filthy night, floodlights on, and helpless backs chasing a bobbling ball as the entire pack howl down on them like maddened wolves and the crowd baying for blood - sure, what more would you want? :D

I remember back in the early '00s (cant remember the year) taking the wife to a munster v leinster celtic league match at MP (Moana Pasifika) in december. 4c in the driving sleet, people actually tried to put brollies up and they weren't linched. she came back for more though so cant have been too bad.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I'll add to Lindo's congrats, T78. Australia weren't just shit, they got done by a team that knows how to win, even fielding it's second- or third-string side. Fantastic performance by Munster.

Like to endorse that Richo. I thought Munster were outstanding, in virtually all facets of play. Wonderful, relentless intensity (especially from the forwards), super teamwork, good vision, quick grasp and exploitation of Australia's weaknesses, mentally and physically consistent for all of 80. All Oz rugby fans should congratulate them. My rugby-playing 12 yr old son sat watching the match and said, quite sincerely, 'Dad, those (Munster) guys are brilliant, why can't our guys play like that...?'

Australia's number 2 elite players' side strongly defeated by an Irish provincial side, missing some of its top players, and from a country experiencing an awful economic recession and with a population 25% of Australia's. Huge credit to Munster, huge.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
I knew the Oz guys would have trouble in the conditions but it was galling to hear comments from the commentators such as:

“This is the worst Australian team I have ever seen”

“Robbie Deans doesn't seem to have a decent backup in any position for the test team.”

“We're not mind readers but is there any reason why they're not up for this game?”

This really is disgraceful. Robbie has always used the i'm build depth for the reason of picking unknowns over thoese with S15 experience and now look what happens. It's clear that robbies methods and tactics are not working. He's the worst coach of my life time. We won't get past the QF. JON needs to take ful reposible for the shape Aus rugby is in. He's ingored all development of youth.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I was dumfounded but then it struck me that these Munster really have a culture of winning. They just never looked in trouble and were relishing every moment of it.

I agree that the conditions played into their hands but the Wallaby tactics in the second half were terrible. If you had to make a list of things not to do against that wind and in the wet, they kept doing them all.

Anyone else catch the commentator announcing TPN as making his Wallaby debut? :)

The old Irish commentator have a meltdown about the imported Munster tight head prop not being able to hold up the scrum was very entertaining and my highlight of the game. :)

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Probably the highlight of the Oz A team too unfortunately.

He's the same guy who said that it was the worst Australian team he had ever seen.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Maybe Barnes suffers from
Raynaud's Syndrome or something like that and lost all feeling in his hands... Let's hope it's something like that anyway other than being totally crap.
There are now some pics on facebook showing a couple of the guys apparently suffering mild hypothermia. We may have better off handing them some thermals instead of the skins.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
This really is disgraceful. Robbie has always used the i'm build depth for the reason of picking unknowns over thoese with S15 experience and now look what happens. It's clear that robbies methods and tactics are not working. He's the worst coach of my life time. We won't get past the QF. JON needs to take ful reposible for the shape Aus rugby is in. He's ingored all development of youth.

The unknowns which formed part of the youth policy? Australia would have to be close to the youngest test team. There have been that many new caps this year too, can't really say they've been ignored.

S

slasher

geez, it must have got ugly after half time....I watched the first half and thought we were doing some fucking stupid things (throwing to 6 at the lineout etc) but I was happy with the way the forwards seem to actually compete in the collisions and there seemed to be a bit of mongrel around. The way everyone is going I might have to watch it again as although i was very hazy this morning considering the conditions I didn't think it was as bad as the comments suggest (wouldn't have put money on us at oranges but)

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
the Wallaby tactics in the second half were terrible. If you had to make a list of things not to do against that wind and in the wet, they kept doing them all.
Couldn't agree more.

A lot of people have given Nagle et al major props for their performances and deservedly so - they out-everythinged Simmons, Mumm, Van et al. But how great was that Lawrence bloke for Munster? He should play internationals some day. He delivered them so much clean ball, and any time the wobs looked like getting their hands on it he pinched it right back.

I loved at 74min when he suddenly realised, looking at TPN, "you can't play the ball on the ground." Classic.

Anyway, great effort Munster, no changes to the France team except perhaps TPN onto bench, and invest in thermals.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
What an absolute disgrace. If ever we needed an indicator that Elite Aussie rugby players have no 'grounding' in the game we just witnessed it. The pure disrespect those pathetic pack of wa..kers just showed the jersey is unpalatable to say the least. Each one of those c..ts should be made to walk in the cold rain back to the hotel in Limerick. I wouldn't waste the fuel in the bus to transport them. All in all, they just don't 'get it'. You can't pick and chose when you want to be passionate about playing rugby at this level. The only think this tour has shown me has been just how f..ked in the head these guys are as a result of the shithouse pathway system we have in Australia where 17 yr olds are taken in academy systems where all they learn is how to wear a herringbone dress shirt and how to hang around night clubs chasing skirt.

I absolutely agree with your comments on the shithouse pathway system. Everyone goes crazy about some young pup and about 1 in 1000 have the guts to match the schoolboy flare. Pocock a clear exception. Just scan the Oz schools thread to see all the hype that goes on.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)

You have got to be kidding. That's been the whole problem - a fixation with schoolboys, academies, and high performance unit drivel. Get rid of Nucifora and his influence.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I am no longer supporting Australian rugby for the rest of the year. This was an absolute joke - a disgrace to this great rugby nation. Like the commentator said: "This is the worst Australian side I've ever seen"

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
Glad I missed this one. Maybe we should have our blokes do their training camps in southern Tasmania? The weather and punitive heritage would be far more appropriate, and they don't have the internet down there for distracting tweets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom