• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

National Rugby Championship 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Does the ARU support this comp in any way though? Help with setting up or improving rugby programs?

Do waratahs players ever get dispatched to the schools to present the first XV with jerseys on assembly?

Do the schools ever receive old gear from the shute shield clubs in the area?

Australian Rugby has a habit of making a poor initial attempt at something then totally rubbishing the idea altogether when it fails. Happened with the ARC as well.
Mate, that's the issue,the ARU supports the Wallabies and that's it.
Everyone else has to fend for themselves.
It makes no sense for the ARU to dismantle Village Rugby,in the hope other failing pathways can improve miraculously.
SS Clubs do not have the infrastructure or any spare cash to help out.
And if they did,they don't anymore,now the NRC is on the horizon.
There are just too many Schools that do not provide Rugby as a viable alternative,to dismantle Village Rugby,as weak as it is after the 15's.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Anyone else agree that the ARU has done a spectacularly abysmal job of communicating what the hell is happening throughout this whole process, or it just me?

From announcement to the present it's been hopeless.

The big fear has always been that an organisation with a poor record of implementing anything, has rushed the process and in doing so may well stuff the whole thing up.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Anyone else agree that the ARU has done a spectacularly abysmal job of communicating what the hell is happening throughout this whole process, or it just me?

From announcement to the present it's been hopeless.

The big fear has always been that an organisation with a poor record of implementing anything, has rushed the process and in doing so may well stuff the whole thing up.

Here's hoping they get their act together, but I can't help thinking that 4 months is not a long time to organise sponsors etc assuming the teams are announced at the end of March.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)

The ARU website contains a single reference to the NRC buried under Fixtures and Results (???) stating that the tendering process has closed and that the successful teams will be announced "in the coming weeks".

If a fraction of the content in this forum is correct there is apparently a lot of "negotiation" going on behind closed doors (unusual for the ARU) but bugger all in terms of communication to the poor sods who pay their money at the gate.

I'm assuming the tenderers had to provide details of their funding sources so I guess potential sponsors are sitting around twiddling their thumbs just waiting to cough up some money when the ARU eventually gets around to making a decision.

Having spoken recently to a committee man from one of the SS clubs plus their sponsor it's not surprising to hear comments along the lines of "this is a complete farce".

Come on ARU tell us what you're doing !!!

I see no issue with The ARU not providing running commentary whilst they are working out the details. In the business world things are kept behind closed doors until launch for a reason, with only certain details leaked or spoken about in the public forum to generate interest. As much as I would love to feast my eyes on logos, sponsors, jerseys and most important squad lists. Obviously no final decisions have been made so everything is being speculated, negotiated, planned and prepared. They are already on a tight deadline so they might as well use every bit of time they have to get this right before they launch.

As far as squad lists go the club season hasn't started yet, U20s champs haven't started yet and the Wallabies squad hasn't been chosen yet. So every year we won't know squads until late in the year anyway.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Mate,that's fine.
But they gave the expectation that it would be announced by now.
It should be expected that the keenest supporters want them to keep to their own deadlines.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I don't think anyone is suggesting that they provide a running commentary.

What's being suggested is that the process has been rushed from the start with poorly defined requirements and without costings. We were told that teams would be announced on the 27 February - still nothing. It hardly inspires confidence.

In the business world things may well be kept behind closed doors, but in the entertainment world (which includes sport) you actually have to publicise what you are doing if you want support.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
costings where pretty well known. They just weren't released.

squads arent going to be known for a while but an announcement of the licenses I'm sure could have been done, if not for all of them possibly in staged ways? Something to keep interest up, unfortunately 3 delays of the announcement date leads to high levels of speculation in the media, which coupled with the general negativity around our sport this season means things aren't going down well.

Battalion

Allen Oxlade (6)
people really look at things through different lenses. the way i see it. nrc going to exist this year. long time overdue. heartland nsw going to have a stack of teams. we're sacking up and using traditional league grounds.

north harbour - brooky showdowns. loyal manly fan and closet rugby supporter fatty vautin to be number 1 ticket holder. ;)
brooky.jpg

uni/balmain - leichardt. benji home coming. who is the more loyal. a man to a code, or a man to his hometown.
leichardt.jpg

country - apex oval dubbo (guessing this is the ground?) dubbo intrigued me. having a hunt around. nrl has token once in a decade country v city 2014 in may. thoughts - thanks for free momentum starter for nrc country team nrl. we'll take it from here.
apexoval.jpg

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Certainly the NRC will exist - they've already signed the TV deal. The question is - has the process ensured the best competition with the most public interest.

One suspects that the continued delay is because it wasn't thought through properly in the first place and they are having to lean on some applicants to compromise or they weren't satisfied with the initial applicants and have gone out and tried to bring in new groups.

The February 27 date was probably about the best time to announce the thing. Super rugby just starting, no NRL, no AFL so some clear air to make an announcement. Now NRL and AFL are in full swing so they will take a lot of the media oxygen.

Planning, organisation and having an orderly process aren't particularly interesting, but they are essential to having a good result in the end.

I hope you're right Battalion, but we've seen the ARU in action before and have a look at the chaos and confusion surrounding their handling of the 16s championships and it doesn't fill one with confidence.

No one suggests that the ARU should be in the media every day telling us the detail of every little thing about the NRC, but in the 21st century you need to generate public interest in any competition, particularly a new one.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Certainly the NRC will exist - they've already signed the TV deal. The question is - has the process ensured the best competition with the most public interest.

One suspects that the continued delay is because it wasn't thought through properly in the first place and they are having to lean on some applicants to compromise or they weren't satisfied with the initial applicants and have gone out and tried to bring in new groups.

The February 27 date was probably about the best time to announce the thing. Super rugby just starting, no NRL, no AFL so some clear air to make an announcement. Now NRL and AFL are in full swing so they will take a lot of the media oxygen.

Planning, organisation and having an orderly process aren't particularly interesting, but they are essential to having a good result in the end.

I hope you're right Battalion, but we've seen the ARU in action before and have a look at the chaos and confusion surrounding their handling of the 16s championships and it doesn't fill one with confidence.

No one suggests that the ARU should be in the media every day telling us the detail of every little thing about the NRC, but in the 21st century you need to generate public interest in any competition, particularly a new one.

Agree with most of that but have they even said who the bidders were? Even if they don't specify how the Sydney clubs will be aligned, could they not at least say that there were 4 Sydney-based bids lodged? Right now all we're getting is speculation, much of it based on previous speculation. Pulver & Hawker need to get out there & state that NRC will go ahead in 2014 but that there are some details still to be sorted out. That at least gives the embryonic NRC Clubs something positive to take to potential backers as I don't imagine they're at liberty to be flashing around any correspondence they may have from ARU on the matter.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I'm asking this because I don't know?
Can I ask what Hawker's role is,
What has he done for Australian rugby over the past seasons,

T

Train Without a Station

I see no issue with The ARU not providing running commentary whilst they are working out the details. In the business world things are kept behind closed doors until launch for a reason, with only certain details leaked or spoken about in the public forum to generate interest. As much as I would love to feast my eyes on logos, sponsors, jerseys and most important squad lists. Obviously no final decisions have been made so everything is being speculated, negotiated, planned and prepared. They are already on a tight deadline so they might as well use every bit of time they have to get this right before they launch.

As far as squad lists go the club season hasn't started yet, U20s champs haven't started yet and the Wallabies squad hasn't been chosen yet. So every year we won't know squads until late in the year anyway.

Well said. The issue with Rugby's amateur roots and semi-amateur existence is everybody thinks they are a stakeholder and need to be "engaged" or "involved" in the process. No guys, the ARU doesn't need to be communicating shit to YOU.

But also, just on one of the points of not enough time. Wasn't the whole idea of preparing bids to demonstrate logistics, finance, etc. for teams on how they plan to support themselves?

If these sort of things aren't already in motion, what is the info on their bid worth?

The most important thing is having this finalized to commence marketing. How long are they really going to market a semi-pro comp with one game televised per week?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
So in your world the ARU doesn't need to communicate with the outside world?

If I may say, that's an extraordinary position to hold. Every other sporting body communicates with it's fans, why is rugby so unique?

In fact if rugby had a higher profile the papers would be screaming for action. If this was Cricket Australia, NRL or AFL trying this on they'd be pilloried in the press every day.

T

Train Without a Station

No QH, they don't need to communicate running commentary of the review process. You are being deliberately facetious.

AFL did not do it with GWS and the Suns, and as far as I'm aware, until they had actually finalized the change, they didn't with the BBL.

What the fuck do you want them to say? They called for EOI's, they called for bids, bids closed. Now they are reviewing said bids. They're not trying to slip some fucking comp under our nose with out telling anybody. Nothing else has happened yet.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Nothing else has happened yet.

Just remind me: is this a winter, spring or summer comp we're talking about and it was 2014 it was meant to start was it?
But also, just on one of the points of not enough time. Wasn't the whole idea of preparing bids to demonstrate logistics, finance, etc. for teams on how they plan to support themselves?
If these sort of things aren't already in motion, what is the info on their bid worth?

So - if you put in a bid you had better have been working on the logistics while you wait to see if the ARU give you the thumbs up?
Would that include taking the money from sponsors, hiring the grounds, signing players + coaches or there some lesser level of preparation appropriate to the period before you find out whether you got the gig or not?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
What the f**k do you want them to say? They called for EOI's, they called for bids, bids closed. Now they are reviewing said bids.

They are the ones that gave themselves a tight time frame. They are the ones who said that they would announce the successful teams on the 27 February. They are the ones who should have had their act together so that they could meet their own time frames. The fact that nothing else has happened yet is the problem.

This is amateur administration in a professional game.

If you read posts #406 and #409 you'll see that I don't want them to provide a running commentary.

The fact that they haven't been able to meet their own time frame suggests:

The deliberately vague EOI process was because they had little idea what they were exactly going to do.

The fact that they couldn't meet their own time frame (not mine) suggests that the process they set up was flawed.

We are talking about a semi-professional competition which will cost millions, not a local touch footy competition that a couple of blokes organise in their free time.

If one doesn't properly prepare the criteria and the process then things have a habit of ending up badly.

What do I expect?

I expect a professional, highly paid administration to do the job that they are paid to do. Part of that requires engaging with the media and the public to promote the game in general and competitions in particular.

If my boss asked me to finish something by 27 February and I was still going on the 15 March, I'd probably be looking for another job.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
One would hope that the unpaid interns at the ARU have been in frequent communication with the EOI parties, however given the surprises involving the recent announcement to impose a $200 fine for every ten 5 year boys and girls wanting to chase each other around a park on a Saturday morning dressed up in rugby strip, and the abandonment of the U16 National tournament, I somehow think that there are a number of consortia who are overdue for their surprise.

I feel that there could be a number of consortia who may be unpleasantly surprised, and possibly subsequently found wanting, due to the late confirmation of their NRC "licence".

EOI Announcement Watch: -16 Days.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
And those of us who, months ago, cautioned about the tight time frame and poor process were dismissed as naysayers by the 3T at any cost, in any form brigade.

Battalion

Allen Oxlade (6)
So - if you put in a bid you had better have been working on the logistics while you wait to see if the ARU give you the thumbs up?
Would that include taking the money from sponsors, hiring the grounds, signing players + coaches or there some lesser level of preparation appropriate to the period before you find out whether you got the gig or not?

agree. say announcement is end of march. april, may, june, july, kickoff august. four month timeline from when the nod is given. houses need to be in order.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
@Quick Hands - This is my take;
  • WA, VIC, ACT, 98% sorted
  • QLD with 2 teams 90% sorted.
  • NSW - being screwed by old school boy / club politics
  1. NSW - 3 or 5 teams - screwed as above.
  2. UNI - 98% sorted
  3. North Hbr - 98% sorted and well organised.
  4. Rams - 85% and semi well organised, but having issues because of;
  5. Sth of the Hbr - 99.9%being screwed by politics.
And because of the politics Sth of the harbor negotiations about structure are taking far longer than planned.

Seriously - Easts / Wicks get your skirts off and work together for the good of rugby. From the outside or from what is read the East appear to be self centered selfish ????

Status
Not open for further replies.