• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Year's Resolutions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I've got one. But I need to tell you the backstory first. About 5 years ago I purchased a copy of Men's Heath. I thought it generally provided either obvious (exercise more) or ridiculous (low-fat turkey rashers) advice. But I did pick up one idea that I liked: get into a weight-loss competition with someone you can't stand losing to.

So, in 2006, I went from 97 kgs to 81 kgs in a year, and won my bet. But I've put it back on again, so, I've got into the same bet with my brother-in-law, who I absofuckinglutely have no intention of losing anything to.

So far so good. Except that in 2006 the key to my success was ... no alcohol of any kind.

Yes, it's that bad.

What's yours? Or are you too smart?

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
My resolution will be similar but I am starting from a higher point and will also include a fitness element :'(

I also did the same thing in 2006/07 and yep severe restriction on alcohol was required in order for me to drop the kgs. I didn't go cold turkey but rarely had more than 1-2 light beers or 1 glass of wine on any one day and only drank 1-2 days per week max.

A mate of mine has lost loads of kgs over the last year by following the Tony White program.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I pretty much got where I wanted this year. I wanted to lose a little weight, and did, and get fitter, and did so that was all good. I found the key to losing weight was not so much the booze, but exercise. Strangely when I get fitter I tend to have less appetite anyway(which makes no sense). But I have to exercise, exercise, exercise. Diet changes alone do nothing much for me.
I play a bit of golf, and wanted to get my handicap down to a certain level this year, and fell short by 1. Well, actually 0.3 strokes to be precise.
This year, I just want to keep it going, rather than big plans.
Good luck Scarfy and mark.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Shit, Scarfy, that's a bit serious. I'm a wine merchant don't forget; your suggestion's putting my livelihood in jeopardy. How the fuck can I get off the piss? Why, just this evening Her Majesty and I bowled over a bottle of French bubbly with the smoked salmon followed by a 2005 Gippsland Chardonnay to go with a bowl of pasta, prawns and chili inspired by Jamie Oliver.

You trying to send me to the poorhouse? :nta: :angryfire: :'(

PS. Happy New Year, by the way.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Make your New Year's resolution to go see Avatar in 3D. I was stunned, and I'm not easily stunned.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
My new year's resolution is to show up to the 2010 Scarf Xmas drinks and show you women how a proper piss up is done.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I've learned to live with what I have. Beats having to think about it to be honest.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
NTA said:
I've learned to live with what I have. Beats having to think about it to be honest.

This time, you're my homeboy!

Having said that, a few AFWD (Alcohol Free Work Days) could well be in order over the coming weeks, together with a couple of gentle trots around Macq Park at lunchtime. BRW Corporate Triathlon is not that far off and as I learnt last year, the site of a way out of shape Riddler prised into a triathlon all-in-one lycra suit is not one to please the eye, particularly on a cold Sunday morning. Added to which, this year is a World Cup year so The Riddler needs to be in fine (drinking) form come September.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
When you speak of a "world cup" around here can you kindly prefix it with: "Soccer", "Poofball", "Chavball", "Wogball", etc.

My starting weight for 2010 Challenge: 98kgs.

You won't be able to follow my progress on Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, Linkedin, Digg, RSS, YouTube, or Wikipedia, but I will post in this thread.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Kevball is one of my favourites.

In any case, I won't be going pound for pound with Scarfman as I'm starting out nearer 120kg. But I am looking to get fitter during this off-season and have shut the door on the New Year fatty period (where I exercise not and consume much). Now I'm back into doing my workout which takes about 20-30 minutes and is a bit of a killer that I got out of a Men's Health magazine.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
Scarfman said:
When you speak of a "world cup" around here can you kindly prefix it with: "Soccer", "Poofball", "Chavball", "Wogball", etc.

You misunderstand me dear Scarfman. There is only one World Cup this year that matters, and it takes place in Sydney. The Golden Oldies is coming to town.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
cyclopath said:
I pretty much got where I wanted this year. I wanted to lose a little weight, and did, and get fitter, and did so that was all good. I found the key to losing weight was not so much the booze, but exercise. Strangely when I get fitter I tend to have less appetite anyway(which makes no sense). But I have to exercise, exercise, exercise. Diet changes alone do nothing much for me.
I play a bit of golf, and wanted to get my handicap down to a certain level this year, and fell short by 1. Well, actually 0.3 strokes to be precise.
This year, I just want to keep it going, rather than big plans.
Good luck Scarfy and mark.

I find the same cyclo, when I am exercising more I have less appetite, or at least less cravings for bad foods and big meals. I tend to eat more healthy meals, smaller quantities but have them more often.

I play around 15 full 18 hole rounds of golf per year, with about 30 9 hole rounds. No official handicap, but it would be around 19 if I had one. My goal for this year is to average mid 80's, and break 80 a few times.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
After years of trying to use exercise to lose beef, I've changed tack for 2010 with a focus on nutrition. Decided to do it properly and have signed up with a nutritionist. It's helpful that she's a fox, but not really relevant. However, what is interesting, is to hear all the little traps that my nutritionist is telling me about. Eating pasta after working out (massive no no), thinking you can eat more because you do some exercise (wrong!), amount/type of grog you can drink etc etc. Really fascinating stuff.

As i'm in the first mode, where apparently you have to hit it really hard to kick start it, it's a right shit and I'm constantly hungry as the hardest part is moving from 2/3 big meals a day to 3 medium ( I say small, but she swears they are medium) + 2-3 well chosen and well timed snacks. I'm only one week in, but I'm already down a kilo and other small things are starting to look a bit better.

My biggest problem, and my nutritionist knows this, is that I absolutely love a beer. Especially a beer or 3 on a Friday night. She says that we can work this in overtime, but first month or so...try and lay off. I'm currently allowed 2 beers per week, but I've decided that it's so pathetic I'd rather abstain in total. At least, until my mate's stag do in Macau in 3 weeks. But I've given her fair warning, so she's working that in as much as possible. It's quite good actually, I'm playing golf during the day beforehand, so she said don't use a kart, walk it, which is good and then on the day after, instead of smashing the sprite like I usually do, just hit water, eat proper carbs and then go for a 2-3 hour walk. Thinking about it, I reckon I might feel better anyway.

So anyway, there's my challenge. 13kgs in a year to get myself down to my correct adjusted BMI. Started at 93, now at 92, aim is for 80kg. Also planning to do a 100km walk in late November. Wish me luck. Cos by god do I need it!!

Scotty

David Codey (61)
What is your height MR?

When you say correctly adjusted BMI, do you mean taking into account you muscle weight/volume? Because every single professional rugby player's (even the backs) BMIs would say they are overweight, which is clearly incorrect.

I think measuring fat % is a better indication of 'correct weight'.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
177cm (short arse).

Adjusted BMI takes into account muscle mass. The standard BMI charts show me being 73kg. And anybody will tell you that me - 20kg would be unhealthily skinny. Most are shocked when they hear me say I need to lose 13kg.

Status
Not open for further replies.