• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand Rugby Team Watch

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Beaugan up to seventh equal on the AB all-time try scorers list:

Doug Howlett: 49 (62 tests)

Julian Savea: 46 (54)

Christian Cullen: 46 (58)

Joe Rokocoko: 46 (68)

Jeff Wilson: 44 (60)

Ben Smith: 39 (84)

Jonah Lomu: 37 (63)

Beauden Barrett: 37 (99)

Tana Umaga: 36 (74)

Sir John Kirwan: 35 (63)

Will Jordan now has 15 in 10.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Pari Pari Parkinson out for up to 12 months with "multiple knee ligament ruptures". Will hurt Clan big-time & may accelerate the rise of young Holland to at least the WTG?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
ASav has finally re-signed:

Sabbatical seems to have been the sticking point in terms of when he takes it rather than being allowed to take one.
I actually wonder if Ardie will saty with the Canes until contract ends, or may perhaps have a year or so with MP (Moana Pasifika) at finish too!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ well he is on record stating he'd like to play for Samoa one day so who knows? A year in Japan, three with MP (Moana Pasifika) & a RWC for Samoa is at least feasible.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
I quite liked the highlighter green but the red/maroon looks good. Though would've been better if it were just a single shade rather than trying to transition to a lighter shade. Still, from what I've seen, would be my favourite jersey for this year.

The intricacies of this years Chiefs jersey are properly ott for me, particularly the alternative strip.

Blues still need to get rid of that punishing nib green box.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Chiefs and Highlanders look very similar. Imagine when they're wet.
Looks ok to me:
1638758874197.png

1638758884059.png

The Chiefs away strip is different enough if there is an issue, though Chiefs Home and Highlanders away might be a bit close.

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
I like the colour of the blue the the Blues have gone back to but yes as always the nib logo ruins it.

Highlanders jersey looks much better with a logo than without - breaks it up a bit.

Good to see some thought has gone into the away jerseys and they aren't just plain white but at the same time they are sufficiently different to the main strip so shouldn't have clashes (of course they still will)

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Joe Schmidt rumoured to be joining AB setup as a selector when Grant Fox steps down.

If true that's a great signing esp if, like Fox, he's not actually inside the bubble.
Yep I like the idea of someone from outside the coaching group being involved in selecting, think they can get too close to players when they coaching, and sometimes it handy to have someone looking in from outside (bit like Aus have had with Johnson?)

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ yeah it's all become a bit of an echo chamber since about the last year or two of Hansen's tenure. Plus Schmidt has no baggage wrt project players & the like. Now they just need to look at the guys who do the actual technical coaching stuff, something tells me we've got some issues there...

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
All Black assistant coaches are yet to have their contracts extended so there could be changes coming there.

It sounds like Schmidt is going to be more than just a selector and will be helping with tactics and analysis.

You'd have to think Blues players will be extra keen to impress Schmidt now.