• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand Rugby Team Watch

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I actually like the idea of coaches etc coming in from outside the group too, just an opinion. I also like the idea of coaches getting involved who have done a gig overseas. I have seen a lot of successful coaches who step up to next level (and that's from club level) that struggle because they have coached outside their usual bubble. Suddenly finding they got players who have had different coaching styels etc, and could maybe just struggle bring them into the team plans etc? I have seen same with successful club coaches ging to provincial level, where you have to not just select from a small pool of players at club, but a wide range of players, so maybe struggle a little.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Bit of an update on the Silver Lake proceedings. Seems NZR now stands to get more (or about roughly the same) for less....

At the annual meeting in Wellington on March 29, the NZ Rugby board, the provinces and Māori Rugby voted unanimously in favour of the Silver Lake proposal which was worth $387.5 million for a 12.5 percent stake in the commercial rights. Silver Lake has since reduced their potential equity stake to 7.5 percent, and improved their original valuation of NZ Rugby's commercial rights.

...but the lemons in NZRPA are still punishing everyone...

Now, after months of negotiations between NZ Rugby the Players' Association, led by CEO Rob Nichol and chairman and ex-All Blacks captain David Kirk, and Silver Lake, little has changed.

Nothing has happened. NZ Rugby says it must limit the flow of information because it's bound by confidentiality clauses.

Initially the provinces thought no news was good news. Their patience is now wearing thin, as they anticipate looming headwinds in 2022. The provincial unions like to say that they represent the soul of rugby in New Zealand – the amateur club players and everyone associated with the game during the winter months.

The Players' Association, they say, is essentially a trade union that's looking out for around 270 professional players. Nichol and Kirk have stated their brief is much wider, that they believe NZ Rugby was too hasty in trying to push through the Silver Lake deal without considering the alternatives.

...and this doesn't sound too good either.

One of the key aspects of the original proposed deal with Silver Lake was that $39 million would be distributed to the provinces and the NZ Māori board. NZ Rugby also wanted to put $100 million into a long-term Legacy Fund which would be set-up to hold sufficient cash reserves for investment in the community game. That concept was ditched after the latest reshaping of the proposed deal.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
More detail wrt Schmidt incl that he'll complete his short-term Loss Bleus gig & start his AB involvement after the Ireland series. Also that the Assistant Coaches will know if they're in or out in or by Feb

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Bit of an update on the Silver Lake proceedings. Seems NZR now stands to get more (or about roughly the same) for less....

Changed my reaction from "sad" to "angry" as I just don't think it's right that a body representing less than 300 players at the top of the pyramid should have a veto over something that stands to benefit the tens of thousands at every other level.

Also I'm very iffy wrt to Kirk's involvement as he's publicly touted a rival bid which should imo require him to recuse himself from anything relating to Silver Lake. For all I know he's the most honest guy going but it just doesn't pass the sniff test.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yep. Letting a players union have a vote is one thing -- a good thing, even -- but having the power of veto is absurd. Needs to be stripped from them as soon as possible.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Changed my reaction from "sad" to "angry" as I just don't think it's right that a body representing less than 300 players at the top of the pyramid should have a veto over something that stands to benefit the tens of thousands at every other level.

Also I'm very iffy wrt to Kirk's involvement as he's publicly touted a rival bid which should imo require him to recuse himself from anything relating to Silver Lake. For all I know he's the most honest guy going but it just doesn't pass the sniff test.
I don't like Kirk being involved either WOB, all the crap about his Forsyth Barr checking out the deal with him staying out sounds crap to me. If you run a company it fairly easy to get message across that you want a completely neutral investigation done by your employees ,............................. but then remind them quietly what result you would like to see!!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yep. Letting a players union have a vote is one thing -- a good thing, even -- but having the power of veto is absurd. Needs to be stripped from them as soon as possible.

If the pro/ community split ever happens I'd be OK with RPA having a vote & even a veto where there's a clear & obvious player welfare issue involved.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Here you go boys, ABs playing England at Twickers next year, and prices if you want to take some guest to a box.
If you want to know how England Rugby makes so much money, you should check the prices for the hospitality packages. Even the Argentina ones are very expensive. But the NZ ones are insane:
(per person, includes seat in East Stand Lower tier, within 22s )
The Gate £1,299.00 Available
The Lock – Pitch view £1,499.00 Available
The Lock – Main Restaurant £1,299.00 Available
The East Wing – Pitch view £1,749.00 Available
The East Wing – Main Restaurant £1,499.00 Available
British Airways Rose Garden £899.00 Available
South stand
Rugby House £1,199.00 Available
Players’ Lounge £1,299.00 Available
And then if you want to eat there:
Table of 2, £1,299.00 per person.
Seems they get approx $15 mill a game from AB test, $12 mill from Boks, Argies is supposed to be 50% prices.
So if anyone keen on shouting me a couple of tickets to a box just message me huh? I will be grateful.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Presumably more of a Crusaders driven extension than an All Blacks one. Ditto Moody.
Mind you it handy that Crusaders seem to be attracting more to stay. I really belive we are going to continue to see more of our players staying using a year or so off in Japan to give players a break. I think it is the best outcome we can hope for!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Signs of progress*...

* Glacial pace but progress nevertheless.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
New AB & BF jerseys unveiled:

IMG_1137.JPG

U20's & MAB will also feature the new sponsor's logo as will the dormant ABXV (formerly NZ A & briefly Junior AB).

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
^^^^
I never understood the point of a new AB jersey. Its literally all black.

And when they try to add a little something to justify a bunch of Kiwis shelling out $150 buks for a new one it looks stupid. What is that tiny white line on the collar (bit of a stretch calling that little flap a collar, lets be honest)? Shit, is what it is.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
^^^^
I never understood the point of a new AB jersey. Its literally all black.

And when they try to add a little something to justify a bunch of Kiwis shelling out $150 buks for a new one it looks stupid. What is that tiny white line on the collar (bit of a stretch calling that little flap a collar, lets be honest)? Shit, is what it is.
Trouble is Derpus, by far the most AB jerseys are sold overseas anyway,not just to a bunch of kiwis. But take your point about changes and selling more , there is only one trouble, it has to be all black or noone including players won't accept it. When AIG came on board the players insisted there was no white border around the AIG on the All Blacks jersey as it would be too much white! Personally I agree, they HAVE to be black!!

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Looks like the Silver Lake deal is finally reaching a conclusion.

NZ Rugby may be closer to finally nailing down a deal with US investment giant Silver Lake. In December, it was revealed Silver Lake's original offer of $387.5 million for a 12.5 percent stake in NZ Rugby's commercial rights had been reshaped to $262 million for a 7.5 percent.

However, NZ Rugby and the Players' Association could be on the cusp of getting the deal across this line - subject to approval from the provincial unions and the NZ Maori Rugby board. It's understood NZ Rugby has invited provincial union chief executive and chairs to a meeting via Zoom on Thursday morning. A NZ Rugby board meeting was scheduled for Wednesday evening.

Hopefully we'll soon find out how much NZRPA has held us to ransom for.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
From what they said on news tonight, NZR get 300 odd mill for 7% of marketing, originally it was 365mill for 12.5%. From what they said NZPA has an agreement that players get 36% of earnings, so guess that would be !00 mill in pot for players, but wouldn't go to players as such right now, but be available to be on table when new deals are struck, and obviously would also lose the 7% per year that goes to Silver Lake. Mind you that is from what I understand, which is by no means says it correct. So 14 provincial unions get a mill each for community game etc. Women's game etc get some for running there game etc.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
NZR and NZRPA have finally agreed. Just needs ratification by the provincial unions, which should be a given.

Under the terms of the agreement, which remains subject to ratification by the Provincial Unions and Māori Rugby Board, Silver Lake will invest NZD $200 million in a new commercial entity that will house all revenue-generating assets of NZR, with additional co-investment of up to NZD $100 million to be offered to New Zealand-based institutional investors later in 2022.

The deal is expected to provide capital to invest in the game at all levels and support the development of “new capabilities'’ and the pursuit of new global opportunities enabled by digital technologies.

Silver Lake, NZR and NZRPA will also establish “global rugby opportunities” to invest together in rugby-related businesses outside of New Zealand.

In summary, the partnership agreement comprises the following components subject to necessary approvals:

> Establishes NZR CommercialCo under the control of NZR that will contain all the revenue-generating activities of NZR.

> Silver Lake invests NZD $200 million into NZR CommercialCo at an NZD $3.5 billion valuation in the form of a perpetual convertible security at a low interest rate, which can convert into ordinary equity after three years.

> Later in 2022, an additional co-investment will be offered to New Zealand-based institutional investors so that domestic capital can have the opportunity to also participate in the investment. A minimum of NZD $62.5 million will be offered, with the potential to seek up to NZD $100 million if parties agree. Silver Lake will underwrite this institutional syndication if it is not fully subscribed.

> At the conclusion of the additional co-investment, Silver Lake will own between 5.71-8.58% of NZR CommercialCo (representing NZD $200-300 million investment, depending on capital needs and the uptake of New Zealand-based institutional investors) vs. the 10-15% stake that had been previously proposed.

> An increase in valuation compared with the prior proposal driven by the improved future financial outlook from broadcasting and sponsorship, resulting in NZR raising a substantial amount of money whilst selling a smaller share of the entity, allowing NZR to fund all its investment needs and putting the game on a sound financial footing for the future.

> Silver Lake, NZR and NZRPA will through “Global Rugby Opportunities” (GRO) together invest in global rugby and rugby-related technology businesses, earning NZR and NZRPA a 15% share of the profits of GRO (split 50/50) in return for their contribution of sports expertise, know-how and relationships.

Under this partnership, the protections and controls for NZR remain in place as previously agreed. Silver Lake would be a minority investor and NZR will retain full control over rugby as well as the commercial strategy.

The new NZR CommercialCo entity board will be controlled by NZR and will comprise a new independent chair, and other independent directors, to assure high governance standards and at the same time business acumen to make NZR CommercialCo a success for everyone interested in rugby in New Zealand.

The NZRPA will also have a seat on the NZR CommercialCo board.