• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand Rugby Team Watch

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
No they not lucky mate, just want to play for ABs. But unfortunately we have lost an incredible amount below, sp hammers the depth. There are 500 odd kiwi prfessional players overseas.
Yes you are lucky, Aus doesn't have that.
If Tyrone Thompson continues on his current trajectory for HB, ABXV (for whom he'd surely be a shoo-in) & another (SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) super rugby pacific) campaign I wouldn't be averse to him going to RWC with Samisoni & Aumua.
not saying he’s a poor player be any means but Dixon scored a million tries for HB last couple of years. Their maul is so good

Tazzmania

Ted Thorn (20)
Looks like George Bridge has been confirmed at Montpelliar

"From Rugby Addict.com 16/09/2022

""New Zealand international winger George Bridge (27, 19 caps), holder against France last November, is on the way to joining Montpellier. An agreement would have been reached between the different parties this summer with an expected arrival in a few weeks...

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
And apparently bb Beauden Barrett is in conversations with Racing 92 in Paris for 2024 onwards.
Yep we know BB and RMo both going after WC, so will make things interesting re No 10. Keeps things ticking over with players. DMac to step up or one of the young ones?

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Would've been better to get a test against Kerevi but was a good showing regardless. Seemed to have a far greater impact in the midfield than at fullback. Also hope it continues on the EOYT.

Was also good to see Papalii have a solid showing after his injury and disrupted outings earlier this year. Am confident Sotutu could do the same if given similar opportunities after his unfairly long absence from top-tier rugby.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Though sleepy old Fosters post-match comments on Taylor were quite worrying to me. IIRC was along the lines of 'starting Codie allowed us to get the best out of him'. I swear if they go back to regularly selecting, or heaven forbid, starting, the corpse of Codie Taylor because he used to be good five years ago, then I will choose an angry face reaction to every team naming post, so help me god.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
reek1.png

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Though sleepy old Fosters post-match comments on Taylor were quite worrying to me. IIRC was along the lines of 'starting Codie allowed us to get the best out of him'. I swear if they go back to regularly selecting, or heaven forbid, starting, the corpse of Codie Taylor because he used to be good five years ago, then I will choose an angry face reaction to every team naming post, so help me god.
Well I hope they keep selecting Codie just so we can see if you’ll follow through…

Also Im not sure about the unfairly comment regarding Sotutu. He’s behind our best performing forward that is basically an 80 minute player and back up captain. Big fan of Hoskins but this is just the reality of the squad situation.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I thought Taylor was ok on Saturday, and thought his scrumming ability worked well. I don't think he gone by any means.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
And perhaps I would be keen on Bell (Canterbury) and Thompson (Hawkes Bay) for 'A' tour. Agree that perhaps Coles can take a break.

Or maybe Coles goes on the A tour to mentor the young guys: Thompson & Bell in particular but also in the more general sense.

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
I really don't think there's much between Aumua and Taylor.

Both have lineout wobbles. Aumua at this stage of his career has the greater upside but Taylor has been there and done that before whereas Aumua has never really shone at test level in his limited chances.

Aumua has had a very good NPC but he's had very good NPCs before and not kicked on.

I suspect Foz prefers Taylor and his 70+ test experience.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ I wouldn't be unhappy if Taylor went on EOYT but again, I see no value in taking both he & Coles.

RTS (Roger Tuivasa-Sheck) allegedly being offered $800K/ season to return to Sydney Roosters. Given he's probably now fourth or even fifth on the depth chart he may as well.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Quinn Tupaea confirmed as requiring surgery, expected to be out for nine months. Big ask to then get match fit & back in form in time for RWC.