• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand Rugby Team Watch

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's being reported (first by GPaul in the Hurld & now by others who appear to be citing him as the source) that Beaugan sought NZR approval to play overseas in 2024 & 25 but remain AB-eligible, to which NZR (rightly imo) said no.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Big oof. The good old classic Taranaki attitude of overestimating their own importance.

Jog on son.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
NZR now denying that Beaugan approached them wrt remaining AB-eligible whilst playing overseas & that the idea was actually floated by NZR themselves. Not sure why they wouldn't have gotten Board approval first, makes whoever made the suggestion look a bit of a dick when the Board rejected it.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
NZR now denying that Beaugan approached them wrt remaining AB-eligible whilst playing overseas & that the idea was actually floated by NZR themselves. Not sure why they wouldn't have gotten Board approval first, makes whoever made the suggestion look a bit of a dick when the Board rejected it.

Well I read it as a suggestion by a NZR contracts negotiator suggesting something( BB was saying he retiring), and then saying we would have to get it signed off first. Most contracts that are done are negotiated first and then have to pass board. Have seen it done quite often where someone who is retiring if offered a part time job etc, if the boss agrees.
Gee it's not like papers haven't tried to make a story before is it?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ I've been involved in a few of those type of conversation & would never suggest anything like that without first getting sign-off from on high. What happens next time Beugan sits down with that person? How seriously does Beaugan take anything s/he says given what has just happened? Bad practice IMO & I'd expect to get my arse kicked by at least my immediate boss if I did it.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
^ I've been involved in a few of those type of conversation & would never suggest anything like that without first getting sign-off from on high. What happens next time Beugan sits down with that person? How seriously does Beaugan take anything s/he says given what has just happened? Bad practice IMO & I'd expect to get my arse kicked by at least my immediate boss if I did it.
Suggest you read it right through Mate, it was said that it would be taken to NZR board BERORE any offer was made, they said no, so no offer was made.

"“All parties were aware that further discussion and decision on this remained subject to NZR board decision."

If anyone didn't understand that's not an offer, they got no business being in any dicussion I would think. My Grandaughter was involved in something similar,(working in Gov't dept) had been offered another job for quite some more money, her boss asked her if he could get a few more $s than she on would she consider staying. He went higher up and they came back with offer that she accepted, but as a reasonably sensible person she knew there had been no offer and he was seeing if something new could be done. I have done something similar myself years ago in Levin when young fella in department was leaving, I asked him if I was able to get him more money was he interested in staying, he said he would consider, boss didn't have anymore money so wasn't a problem, he certainly didn't seem to have any problem. Hell it not that rare in my experience.
It's also how the sabbaticals started, came up in negotiation from Dan Carter, and the person he(or his agent) agreed it worth looking at and took to the board. That didn't come from board down.

Last edited:

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Richie Mo'unga has signed with Toshiba for 2024-25-26. Shannon Frizell has also signed with them but I haven't yet heard/ read how long for.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
> 2023 Super Rugby season
> no Ryan
> Robertson busy looking for a job
> Mo'unga + half the Crusaders phoning it in to avoid injuries

Lets fucken GO

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
As there's about to be a burst of activity wrt players either re-signing with NZR beyond 2023 or not & moving on I thought this would be a timely reminder of the current state of play (from stuff.co.nz):

Contracted All Blacks

Codie Taylor, Patrick Tuipulotu, Tupou Vaa'i, Jordie Barrett*, Ardie Savea (taking Super Rugby off in 2024), Sam Cane.

* has the option of a sabbatical in 2025. Savea remains AB-eligible in 2024.

Sevu Reece, Joe Moody, Stephen Perofeta, Caleb Clarke, Ofa Tu'ungafasi, Dalton Papali'i, Samisoni Taukei'aho, Ethan de Groot, Hoskins Sotutu, Josh Lord.

Will Jordan, Sam Whitelock, Scott Barrett, Jack Goodhue, Cullen Grace, David Havili, Braydon Ennor, Richie Mo'unga, Ethan Blackadder, George Bower, Leicester Fainga'anuku, Shannon Frizell, Rieko Ioane, Aaron Smith, Dane Coles, Anton Lienert-Brown, Folau Fakatava, Beauden Barrett, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, TJ Perenara, Tyrel Lomax, Aidan Ross, Quinn Tupaea, Akira Ioane, Brad Weber, Brodie Retallick, Mark Telea, Nepo Laulala, Pita Gus Sowakula, Finlay Christie, Fletcher Newell.

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Just reading that too WOB, well we all know a fair few will be gone, SamW, Lurch, Pita Gus,Nugget, RMo, BB, Frizell, the interesting thing will be in what others go I suspect Jack Goodhue,Ennor,RTS (Roger Tuivasa-Sheck),TJ,Leicester F at least, and maybe a couple of others, but nothing unexpected really.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Thanks to @Members Section & @Adam84 posting Argentina's & Australia's TRC schedules on the Wallabies 2023 thread I've been able to construct the AB schedule:

8/07 v Argentina in Mendoza
15/07 v South Africa in Auckland, probably at Mount Smart
29/07 v Australia at MCG
5/08 v Australia at Forsyth Barr

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Interesting ti see Nick Evans ex AB has joined England as attack coach, there been a lot of good talk about him out of Quinns.
Attabot Nick get a bit more experience before you come home! ;)

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Brad Weber has reportedly signed with Stade Français post-RWC.
Not really a surprise is it WOB, at 31 probably time to cash in, and probably not dominant enough to last through another cycle to WC.
I actually think he is a loss regardless, he a bloody good test player without being a great.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I know it's not ABs stuff, but by geez I like the sound of this, the clubs from greater Auckland who are part of 3 different provinces and so club comps, are having a knockout tournament before their club seasons kick off, all mix and matched type stuff. This is a way toe refresh things a bit, and looks like they hope it will grow into something more, almost champions league type thing.