• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand squad announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
http://allblacks.com/news/22895/All-Blacks-squad-named-for-Investec-Rugby-Championship

Piri Weepu dropped for TJ Perenara.

Luatua chosen ahead of Vito.

Charles Piutau for Rene Ranger (who declared himself unavailable)

FORWARDS
Hookers

Dane Coles - Wellington / Hurricanes (6)
Andrew Hore - Taranaki/ Highlanders (76)
Keven Mealamu - Auckland / Blues (104)

Props
Wyatt Crockett - Canterbury / Crusaders (14)
Charlie Faumuina - Auckland / Blues (7)
Ben Franks - Hawke's Bay / Hurricanes (25)
Owen Franks - Canterbury / Crusaders (47)
Tony Woodcock - North Harbour / Highlanders (98)

Locks
Brodie Retallick - Bay of Plenty / Chiefs (14)
Luke Romano - Canterbury / Crusaders (14)
Samuel Whitelock - Canterbury / Crusaders (41)

Loose forwards
Sam Cane - Bay of Plenty / Chiefs (7)
Steven Luatua - Auckland / Blues (1)
Richie McCaw - captain Canterbury / Crusaders (116)
Liam Messam - Waikato / Chiefs (23)
Kieran Read - Canterbury / Crusaders (51)

BACKS
Halfbacks

Tawera Kerr-Barlow - Waikato / Chiefs (4)
TJ Perenara - Wellington/ Hurricanes *
Aaron Smith - Manawatu / Highlanders (15)

First five-eighths
Beauden Barrett - Taranaki / Hurricanes (8)
Daniel Carter - Canterbury / Crusaders (95)
Aaron Cruden - Manawatu / Chiefs (22)

Midfield backs
Ma'a Nonu - Wellington / Highlanders (79)
Conrad Smith - Wellington / Hurricanes (69)

Outside backs
Israel Dagg - Hawke's Bay / Crusaders (28)
Charles Piutau - Auckland / Blues (1)
Julian Savea - Wellington/ Hurricanes (11)
Ben Smith - Otago / Highlanders (15)

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
Who are the guys with maori heritage in the team? Messam, all three halfbacks (?), Romano, Carter (a wee bit), Coles. Any others?

I know Mealamu has led it before, but I think they quite rightly prefer to give the role to a maori bloke.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Expected to see Crotty and/ or Halai in there after Ranger made himself unavailable... what's the plan if Nonu, Conrad or Savea go down (or, god forbid, two in one match)? A bit concerned about the depth at hooker too - Hore & Kev defo the best in NZ atm but a big gap back to Coles & Elliott.

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
Aaron Smith would be the one to lead the Haka I'd imagine. Maybe Messam, but I still have my doubts that he is a long term All Black 6.

errkin

Frank Row (1)
The leader of the haka is the least of their worries. Umaga has done it so has RM. Ability to lead the haka is not a requirement.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Who are the guys with maori heritage in the team? Messam, all three halfbacks (?), Romano, Carter (a wee bit), Coles. Any others?

I know Mealamu has led it before, but I think they quite rightly prefer to give the role to a maori bloke.

Not so sure about DC as he's never played for NZMaori or won Tom French Cup (NZM player of the year) which you'd expect him to have done if he were even remotely as Maori as, say, Christian Cullen... also you've ommitted Retallick, Barrett (? pretty sure but not 100%) & Dagg.

Messam to lead the haka if in the match-day 23, otherwise any of the HB's

aeneas

Tom Lawton (22)
Messam leading the haka in a test. I suspect that would be quite a sight. Wouldn't want to be an opposition player for the first 20 after that.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I'm surprised they didn't include an experienced half back. I wouldn't have selected Weepu either, I would have Andy Ellis in there.

Perenara while showing potential, doesn't bring much different to Smith to the table.

aeneas

Tom Lawton (22)
I'm surprised they didn't include an experienced half back. I wouldn't have selected Weepu either, I would have Andy Ellis in there.

Perenara while showing potential, doesn't bring much different to Smith to the table.

Ellis seems to be the forgotten man at the AB level. He's played magnificently this year.

I'd have:
Smith
Ellis
TJ

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Ellis seems to be the forgotten man at the AB level. He's played magnificently this year.

I'd have:
Smith
Ellis
TJ

Agreed. Kerr-Barlow is solid, doesn't make many mistakes, but isn't the game breaker TJ and Smith have the potential to be. Considering Ellis has re-signed for 2 years and is only 29 you would think he still has something to give.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
How many of these guys are realistically going to be around in 3 years? The first 2 definitely won't.

Mealamu - 34
Hore - 34
Woodcock - 32
McCaw - 32
C Smith - 31
Carter - 31
Nonu - 31
Crockett - 30

Carter, Smith and Nonu might be ok but will be interesting to see how well McCaw comes back. I have my doubts. Next great AB team will be built around Read & Dagg with the replacements to the players above and many others in the squad with lots to prove and huge shoes to fill.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
One of either Mealamu or Hore would be gone now I think - but this is a position of weakness for NZ - so they are both still in the mix.

Woodcock showed nothing in the Super season. He is under pressure.

aeneas

Tom Lawton (22)
One of either Mealamu or Hore would be gone now I think - but this is a position of weakness for NZ - so they are both still in the mix.

Woodcock showed nothing in the Super season. He is under pressure.

Coles is the 1st choice now? Hore or Mealamu for 20 if required.

aeneas

Tom Lawton (22)
Agree with all the comments but i assume that there is some sort of plan for him. I cant see the NZRU wanting to waste a Blues roster spot on him if there's not some scheme to see him in some sort of black jersey.

Status
Not open for further replies.