• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand squad announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
I'm wondering whether the NZ selectors might be considering *ahem* Benji at 13.

God I hope not (SBW @ 12 on the other hand.)!

Love Benji but cant see a 30yo with less than 2 S15 seasons making the next RWC squad. or a 31yo making the 7s for Rio. Shouldve taken the Tigers offer & set himself up for the inevitable career with NRL, Channel 9 (or Fox), corporate sponser or all of the above.​

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
Outside backs a little thin too? 3 guys who played Fullback for their franchise and one winger?

For pure wingers there is only Savea - with Frank Halai in the wider training group.
However, B Smith and Piutau will do the job very well on the wing if required. Having FBs on the wing is no problem as long they can fulfill the role.

badabing59

Cyril Towers (30)
I'm surprised they didn't include an experienced half back. I wouldn't have selected Weepu either, I would have Andy Ellis in there.

Perenara while showing potential, doesn't bring much different to Smith to the table.

Agreed on Ellis. I'd have him over TKB. In yesterdays game, majority of his passes seemed to be aimed at a spot 4 feet above the heads of receivers

Reactions: ACR

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Agree with all the comments but i assume that there is some sort of plan for him. I cant see the NZRU wanting to waste a Blues roster spot on him if there's not some scheme to see him in some sort of black jersey.
NZRU have no say who is on Blues roster!!

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
Agree with all the comments but i assume that there is some sort of plan for him. I cant see the NZRU wanting to waste a Blues roster spot on him if there's not some scheme to see him in some sort of black jersey.

The NZRU doesn't really have the sort of power to tell the Blues not to hire a player like Benji if they want to. He's a kiwi, he's eligible for the All Blacks and I reckon that's about as much as the NZRU need to know. I think Benji will be useless in rugby, but I still reckon it's worth a punt, even if it takes a couple of years and he never makes it. I heard JK on the radio the other day and he said he wasn't really expecting Benji to be successful until the year after next.

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
Interesting to read Grant Fox's comments in the SMH yesterday that the ABs want to play a wider, faster game in this comp which is part of the reason that Piri Weepu wasn't picked, because he's not as suited to that (plus he needed a break). It'd be nice to see selectors/coaches being this honest all the time.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
I'm excited about TJ Perenara,Luatua and Piutau joining the squad.

Luatua is a powerful player who can go hard for 80 minutes. Good in the lineout and an intelligent bloke. Number 6 has suddenly become very congested in NZ (a bit like 7 for you guys) with Messam, Luatua, Shields and now Jerome Kaino has said he wants to return from Japan to try and make the World Cup.

Perenara has not had a great season this year, but neither have the Hurricanes. When the pack were going better he looked great. I also think Aaron Smith looked rubbish in the Highlanders this year. Perenara is extremely fit, physical and confident. No doubt he has some rough edges to be ironed out, but with some better coaching, I think he is the most exciting halfback prospect we have had in a long time.

Piutau is an instinctive ball runner who, at this stage of his career is better at wing than FB, because he tended to misjudge when to kick or run. He has an amazing ability to put in big side steps at full pace and retain his balance. There is talk by the Blues that he may be used at 13 next year.

ACR

Desmond Connor (43)
Agree with most on the halfbacks. I still think A Smith is the #1, he played like crap for the Highlanders most of this year but put him behind the AB pack and he'll flourish, delivery from the base when he's confident is just crazy. Plenty of years ahead too.

TKB on the other hand, (at times) inaccurate passing AND kicking. I don't see him as much more than a 'bulldog', annoying around the rucks. Don't see why we're picking him ahead of Andy Ellis (or TJP). Solid performer, with experience between Read and Carter (his teammates).

Interesting to see how McCaw will do if given the #7. Seems a bit under cooked for a Bledisloe. He's a proven winner though so here's hoping that continues.

Also, can't see how Benji is going to 'thrive' in union. Best of luck to him though. If he can just get his bigger, younger, fellow code hopper to hop again that would be nice.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
I agree A Smith looked really good behind the AB pack and I agree he is the number one HB. I meant TJP should have been given some leniency because the Canes pack were pretty poor.

Totally agree with you about TKB. He has been behind a dominant pack and not looked great. A good defender, but doesn't attack around the fringes like Mike Philips and his pass isn't great. Andy Ellis should be ahead of him.

Chiefton

Herbert Moran (7)
Coles is the 1st choice now? Hore or Mealamu for 20 if required.

Hore and Mealamu for me are still first string. One or the other will more than likely start in the bigger games of the Championship with the other or Coles to get 20-30 off the bench.

Coles should start in the 'lesser' games and one of the other two to take 20-30 again off the bench.

The roles should be reversed for next season (providing there are no retirements and each players progression/deterioration is as expected) with Coles starting and either of the other two being nursed into the WC.

As for the Half Back situation again my opinion is that Smith should and will start and TJ will be second string (and deserves to be) TKB is basically being brought along for the ride and will pick up minutes on the Spring tour.

This is the way it should be until one or the other (TJ or TKB) takes the next step forward leading into the WC.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Agree with ACR that Aaron Smith will come right, he showed real class last year and it will be there again this year. Also not sold on TKB but I think Hansen is doing the right thing pulling all three of them in. Perenara was a livewire last year but has lacked fizz this year, as have the Canes. The AB environment will do him a power of good. Provided he doesn't get pasted.

The two biggest losses to me are Rene Ranger and Tim Nanai-Williams (three with SBW). To my eye those two were must play ABs though not at the expense of Conrad Smith. But Smith hasn't caught my eye this year the way he has in the past - I will be watching him closely in the TRC. The idea of moving Ben Smith to midfield disconcerts me, I think he is a fullback. I can see why they want their cake and eat it too but I don't see him as having Kahui's power.

No issues with the forwards other than Wyatt Crockett but I have to say he has played well at Super Rugby level this year. To my eye the biggest threat in the AB pack is the locks. Very good form.

In summary ABs are very exposed mid-field if there is an injury but business as usual elsewhere.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Thanks @Dismal Pillock.

Good reminder that the Mark Bingham Cup will be up for grabs in Sydney in August this year, with the Sydney Convicts as the defending champions.

I reckon that there will be plenty of mums of the Convicts watching.

Celebrate Rugby's inclusiveness and diversity.

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
jeez, the drums are beating for Matt Proctor? poor fuckin Andre Taylor's keeping him on the bench!

ps, dear god, Slade? I see a petrified, mollified, mortified countenance. I see charged kicks.
Charles Piutau injury gives trio chance for ABs

LIAM NAPIER
Last updated 05:04 11/05/2014
9832721.jpg

MATT KING/ Getty
FIRST FIVE: Colin Slade.
All Blacks

A cruel injury blow to Blues fullback Charles Piutau appears to have crushed his chances of taking on England next month.
Before limping out of Friday's 32-20 loss to the Chiefs, Piutau was a certainty to be named in the All Blacks wider 35-man training squad tomorrow.
Naturally, Piutau cut a dejected figure after receiving news that a grade two medial ligament knee injury will sideline him between six and eight weeks. That prognosis means he won't make the cut when the squad is trimmed to 31 players on June 1st for three tests against England.
The 22-year-old was a star rookie for the All Blacks last year, playing 10 tests and forging a reputation as a dynamic runner. His temporary exit is thought to have confirmed Colin Slade's recall, opened the possibility of a lifeline for Blues wing Frank Halai, or a shock call-up for Hurricanes utility Matt Proctor.
Slade's strong recent form and ability to provide outside back cover should now see him included. The Crusaders pivot has played just one test - off the bench against Australia in Wellington last year - since limping out of the World Cup quarterfinal in 2011.
Tongan-born Halai made his test debut against Japan last year but hasn't kicked on this season. Piutau's late withdrawal may offer him a reprieve, though the selectors could take a punt on Proctor. Despite gaining minimal game-time behind fullback Andre Taylor, the 21-year-old is understood to have caught the attention of those that matter.
In Piutau's absence an embarrassment of riches remains in the back-three. Barring further injury scares, Israel Dagg, Ben Smith, Julian Savea and Cory Jane will all return.
Elsewhere, hooker and lock will generate major talking points.
In a bid to develop depth after Andrew Hore's retirement, Keven Mealamu and Dane Coles could be joined by two additional hookers at three-day camps, which will be held in Christchurch (May 18th-20) and Wellington (25th -27). Coles' place is subject to fitness after he tweaked his back in the Hurricanes 25-15 win over the Rebels in Melbourne on Friday night.
Highlanders' rake Liam Coltman and the Chiefs' Nathan Harris are the newbies in line after taking part in the All Blacks apprentice scheme last year. Both would benefit from attending the camps to grasp this year's game-plan.
Taranaki's Rhys Marshall needs to improve his throwing before being considered, while Canterbury veteran Corey Flynn is also in the frame for England's challenge, but is unlikely to be named tomorrow.

Blues bolter Patrick Tuipulotu will also grab interest. The 21-year-old, who tips the scales at 121kg and stands just under two metres, has major upside. After five tests last year, the selectors probably feel they have a gauge on Hurricanes lock Jeremy Thrush. Grooming Tuipulotu - alongside Sam Whitelock, Brodie Retallick, Luke Romano and Dominic Bird - appears the better option.
Comparatively, Malakai Fekitoa's inclusion has been well flagged.
Possessing a lethal mix of power, pace and vision, the Highlanders centre is near-certain to be Super Rugby rookie of the year. His inevitable All Blacks debut will be a heart-warming tale of triumph over adversity, following a crippling childhood injury and the death of his father.
Jerome Kaino's return to the All Blacks after two years in Japan will come as no surprise. The bruising blindside flanker has lost none of the intimidating physical attributes that saw him recognised as one of the world's best players in 2011.
Kaino's team-mate, Steven Luatua, is expected to be retained, despite battling a form slump, alongside Richie McCaw, Sam Cane, Liam Messam and Kieran Read, who is recovering from concussion.
Highly-rated Chiefs halfback Augustine Pulu needs an operation on his injured knee. That makes the retention of Aaron Smith, Tawera Kerr-Barlow and TJ Perenara relatively straight forward, though Cantabrians will feel aggrieved at Andy Ellis' continued exclusion.
Aaron Cruden's return from a broken thumb in the coming weeks and will see him contest the first five-eighth role with Beauden Barrett while Dan Carter is on sabbatical.
Francis Saili's high ankle sprain saved the selectors a potentially difficult conversation. The Blues midfielder is out for at least six weeks, and Tom Taylor is also likely to be overlooked, which leaves Fekitoa challenging incumbents Ma'a Nonu, Conrad Smith and Ryan Crotty.
Joe Moody's ongoing problems with an ankle injury ruled him out and Hurricanes prop Jeff Toomaga-Allen hasn't done enough to force his way past the established Tony Woodcock, Owen and Ben Franks, Charlie Faumuina or Wyatt Crockett.
Luke Braid-Whitelock has been deemed "absolutely unselectable" and "so far off the selectors radar it's just not bloody funny" and "not even a proper fuckin' Whitelock at all, the silly bastard has just changed his name by deed poll like some sort of a long-lost brother from another mutha."

lukebraid_zpsd90e18bf.jpg

"Still here. Hello? How's things? Ya f**kin pricks."
--Luke Whitelock-Braid-Whitelock-Whitelock.

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
England squad for NZ tour:

Forwards: Joe Marler, Matt Mullan, Kieran Brookes, Henry Thomas, David Wilson, Luke Cowan-Dickie, Joe Gray, Dave Ward, Rob Webber, Dave Attwood, Joe Launchbury, Geoff Parling, Ed Slater, James Haskell, Tom Johnson, Matt Kvesic, Ben Morgan, Chris Robshaw.

Backs: Danny Care, Ben Youngs, Freddie Burns, Danny Cipriani, Kyle Eastmond, Manusamoa Tuilagi, Henry Trinder, Billy Twelvetrees, Jonny May, Marland Yarde, Mike Brown, Chris Pennell.

- The Dominion Post

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Sir Clive is mad as hell & he's not gonna take it any more:

"How can it be that in 2014, fully 18 years into the professional game, England are going to play a three-match test series in New Zealand and are being prevented from picking their strongest team for the vital first test? Those missing players represent the biggest cock-up since the 'Tour from Hell' in 1998," Woodward wrote in his Daily Mail column.

"Absolutely insane. That itinerary was put together by somebody who didn't put the England team first. Stuart Lancaster is having to leap through logistical hoops when this battle should have been fought - and won - a long time ago."

Woodward lay the blame at the door of the rich English clubs as international rugby continued to struggle to get a global season in place to ensure availabilities.

And just to remind people what happened in '98:

He likened it to his 1998 trip where an under-strength England side were handed "a crazy itinerary" and were thumped 76-0 by Australia, 64-20 and 40-10 by the All Blacks and 18-0 by the Springboks.

They also copped further humiliation during their time in New Zealand, beaten 18-10 by New Zealand A and 62-14 by New Zealand Maori.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Shag has named his 31:

"Steven Luatua has been dropped from the All Blacks in the only truly contentious selection among coach Steve Hansen's 31 man squad named today for a three test series against England.

"The Blues loose forward was one of five players cut from the wider training squad that had attended two camps this month in Christchurch and Wellington.

"The other players to miss the final cut are Hurricanes lock Jeremy Thrush, Crusaders loose forward Luke Whitelock, and hookers Liam Coltman (Highlanders) and Nathan Harris (Chiefs).

"Luatua's place has gone to Hurricanes No 8 Victor Vito, who has hit a rich vein of form after a late start to Super Rugby due to a knee injury."

Wow. Talk about penthouse to outhouse.

badabing59

Cyril Towers (30)
Shag has named his 31:

"Steven Luatua has been dropped from the All Blacks in the only truly contentious selection among coach Steve Hansen's 31 man squad named today for a three test series against England.

"The Blues loose forward was one of five players cut from the wider training squad that had attended two camps this month in Christchurch and Wellington.

"The other players to miss the final cut are Hurricanes lock Jeremy Thrush, Crusaders loose forward Luke Whitelock, and hookers Liam Coltman (Highlanders) and Nathan Harris (Chiefs).

"Luatua's place has gone to Hurricanes No 8 Victor Vito, who has hit a rich vein of form after a late start to Super Rugby due to a knee injury."

Wow. Talk about penthouse to outhouse.

Gotta feel for Luatua, but since Kaino returned, Luatua's form has been all over the place, looking like a complete lack of confidence. No doubt he'll be first cab off the rank should any loosies get injured (please God leave Whitelock to do the washing up for his mum's sunday dinners, plenty of others with better form than him). Personally glad to see Vito get the call again, as he has been playing well of late.

All in all a good looking squad.

Status
Not open for further replies.