• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand vs Australia Oct 11 2020 Bledisloe Cup

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So, is Reece the next super talented AB winger that isn't needed? Wonder if he reckons he should've played for Fiji instead and be living in Biarritz right now.

Shorter than Barrett and Clarke. This is about the NZ back 3 using their height advantage over the short Wallabies back 3.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Who are the shit players in their team then?
Never seen JBar have a good test game, and he's definitely not a winger. Goodhue out of position. Two sevens. Cane reportedly quite out of form. Whitelock roughly a thousand years old.

Also not convinced BB/Mounga works that well. I'd have just dropped one or the other to the bench and stuck JBar in his preferred spot.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Who are the shit players in their team then?

From Kiwi sources: Goodhue has been ordinary and is wasted at 13. ALB could be starting over Ioane. They're playing their best full back on the wing and best winger isn't in the team.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
That NZ side is going to put up the high ball every 2nd phase. Get ready Tom, Filipo and Marika. Certainly hope they've been preparing unlike JOC (James O'Connor), Beale and Ioane in 2011.

That was my concern with the MK/Daugunu combo somewhat. Mo'unga (and even B. Barrett for that matter) sure are good at those cross field kicks or popping it nicely in goal. Jordie and Bridge are pretty dynamic in that area.

Got to say that NZ bench is pretty nice too. Clarke and Sotutu both had a great season, super dynamic.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Never seen JBar have a good test game, and he's definitely not a winger. Goodhue out of position. Two sevens. Cane reportedly quite out of form. Whitelock roughly a thousand years old.

Also not convinced BB/Mounga works that well. I'd have just dropped one or the other to the bench and stuck JBar in his preferred spot.

Well they pretty f***ed then aren't they? Should be a canter for the Wallabies.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
From Kiwi sources: Goodhue has been ordinary and is wasted at 13. ALB could be starting over Ioane. They're playing their best full back on the wing and best winger isn't in the team.

What Kiwi scources? There is a difference between scources and opinion you realise don't you?;)
And Goodhue is at 12 where he has played this year(and been from player there in Super Aotearoa.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I hope FF (Folau Fainga'a)'s throwing is on point with Samu the only friendly face in the pack.

TSR's good Swinton theory didn't come through. Valetini will have to make an impact, pressure on him from a few players.

I'm happy for McDermott to wait another week or two for his debut, probably not wise to so many debutants and <10 cap players. We'll see them all cycle through.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Well they pretty f***ed then aren't they? Should be a canter for the Wallabies.
eyeroll.gif

I am merely pointing out that your blessed ABs are vulnerable and beatable. Not that they are shit. Could you just not today Dan? it's Friday.

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
Here's my Wallabies starting 15:
1 Slipper
2 Fainga'a
3 Tupou
4 Phillip
5 LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
6 Samu
7 Hooper
8 Wilson
9 White
10 JOC (James O'Connor)
11 Daugunu
12 To'omua
13 Petaia (Paisami if JP not fit)
14 Koroibete
15 DHP (Banks if DHP not fit)

For the front row I have really tried to blend form with experience. Slipper is in better form and has more experience than any other LHP that we have. Fainga'a was head and shoulders above the other hookers this year and has the best throw. Tupou was just too good this year in all aspects.

I think the locks speak for themselves given the group of players available.

Hooper is captain and an obvious pick. I think Wilson and Samu could swap jerseys at a pinch and will compliment each other well.

White is the incumbent and looks the most balanced scrum half in my view but jeez Tate and Gordon would be close if he has a bad game. JOC (James O'Connor) must be 10 given his consistency and leadership.

To'omua was the hardest selection for me in this team. He didn't really set the world alight this year but I think he looks better at IC then FH and he's never really been bad for us. Petaia is a must select really and I think he needs to be getting his hands on the ball closer in than wing (and defending at 13 regardless).

I don't have reservations about selecting the two Fijian flyers together; they share some strengths however I do think that Daugunu has a decent boot and plays a little wider than Marika who is just legendary in that Digby type role.

DHP is a player I really rate. He got hammered on these forums last year after a bit of a shocker but honestly his ability under the high ball and kicking is pretty rare. I've not selected Maddocks as his replacement pending injury as I just think he's been hot and cold for the Tahs.

Nostrafuggindamus!

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Apparently Petaia has receovered from the hip pointer injury, but hasn't had enough time training with the team on the paddock.

We're looking down the barrel of 9 games in 10 weeks. He'll get a run. As will McDermott.

Yeah. You wouldn't rush him and DHP looked well undercooked when the Rebels brought him back in. I'll be curious to see how much of any eye to the future the selectors have with who gets a run or not this series.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
eyeroll.gif

I am merely pointing out that your blessed ABs are vulnerable and beatable. Not that they are shit. Could you just not today Dan? it's Friday.

And I merely taking the piss mate, calm down! FFS
mind you a good coach like Rennie will exploit all those weaknesses you have found, that the AB selectors have missed!

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I remember when Connor Murray was supposed to high ball us to death in the first Irish test in 2017. When it didn't work in that match they struggled to shift to another pattern of play.

We know what's coming, if we can blunt it we're in with a chance.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
So, is Reece the next super talented AB winger that isn't needed? Wonder if he reckons he should've played for Fiji instead and be living in Biarritz right now.

Not sure he was at his best this year to be fair. When your trying to squeeze as many Barretts in as you can spots are at a premium. Also might be a game plan choice too.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I remember when Connor Murray was supposed to high ball us to death in the first Irish test in 2017. When it didn't work in that match they struggled to shift to another pattern of play.

We had someone called Israel Folau then. Handy player in the air IIRC. DHP on the wing too? He's quite tall.

This is a very short back 3. I would've liked to see Maddocks or DHP on at least a wing or 15 to counter this a little.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)

The All Blacks are a little less one dimensional than Schmidt's Ireland. I think they'll be pretty comfortable with plan B, C, D....

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
MK will be defending in the line with JOC (James O'Connor) dropping back. I think we should be OK under the high ball.

Im more worried about Paisami defending......