• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand vs Australia Oct 11 2020 Bledisloe Cup

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
Never seen JBar have a good test game, and he's definitely not a winger. Goodhue out of position. Two sevens. Cane reportedly quite out of form. Whitelock roughly a thousand years old.

Also not convinced BB/Mounga works that well. I'd have just dropped one or the other to the bench and stuck JBar in his preferred spot.

Totally agree with Derps on all counts. I think I need a lie down now.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Compared to our last game we played, it's a whole new world.

Only three players have the same jersey: Hooper, Koroibete and Uelese.

Only two players from the RWC XV are in Sunday's XV. 13 new players in total.
2020 2019 RWC
1 Slipper v Sio
2 FF (Folau Fainga'a) v Latu
3 Tupou v Ala'alatoa
4 LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) v Rodda
5 Philip v Arnold
6 Wilson v Pocock
7 Hooper v Hooper
8 Samu v Naisarani
9 White v Genia
10 JO'C v Lealiifano
11 Koroibete v Koroibete
12 To'omua v Kerevi
13 Paisami v Petaia
14 Daugunu v Hodge
15 Banks v Beale
16 Uelese v Uelese
17 Sio v Slipper
18 Ala'alatoa v Tupou
19 Simmons v Coleman
20 Valetini v LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
21 Gordon v White
22 Lolesio v To'omua
23 Hodge v O'Connor

Locks clearly a level below. I think Wilson will be a better 6 than Pocock was. Arguably Paisami in good form is as good as an undercooked Petaia was coming back from a long injury. I'd take Kerevi. Daugunu is a better winger than Hodge and I'd take Beale over Banks. Not as worse off as I initially thought when I saw the comparison.

Good assessment - even locks though weeker have been in form including Simmons who though been better then previous years. At least with LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) what you lose in lineout you gain for his all round game. I would not take Beale as he is not the player he was but would have taken DHP over banks but at least let’s see what banks can do at test level rather then debate it for eternity whether test quality. Good thing about Wilson is still got improvement in him.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
I believe the Wallabies inside centre combination of JOC (James O'Connor) & To'omua offer greater versatility than the AB inside backs of Mo'unga & Goodhue. I see them manoeuvering more between kicks , short passing back to the loose forwards, & then passing out wide later.
I'd like to see Gordon come on at half time to add to the flyhalves playmaking.

molman

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yep,but what a lot forget the different players they had at Chiefs, and Rennie had Wayne Smith as assistant coach! I do wonder if it crosses their minds though, about Chiefs etc

I'm sure it crosses their minds.

Not a bad person to learn off Wayne Smith. Rennie likely gone on to have the more worldly learning experience as a coach, be interesting to see what he can pull out of our current player base.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Not much I don't like about the team. If Petaia wasn't going to be available, I wanted TK at 13 and I maintain that.

Also interesting to see that Daugunu was chosen on a wing ahead of not only Wright, but also Hodge and Maddocks. I respectfully disagree and fear a red card for a dangerous tackle is coming. Desperately hope I am wrong.

I can’t tell if this is a troll or not. Your prediction for a blokes first game in Gold is for him to be Red carded? Come on.

A bit of positivity about the team never hurt anyone.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Compared to our last game we played, it's a whole new world.

Only three players have the same jersey: Hooper, Koroibete and Uelese.

Only two players from the RWC XV are in Sunday's XV. 13 new players in total.
2020 2019 RWC
1 Slipper v Sio
2 FF (Folau Fainga'a) v Latu
3 Tupou v Ala'alatoa
4 LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) v Rodda
5 Philip v Arnold
6 Wilson v Pocock
7 Hooper v Hooper
8 Samu v Naisarani
9 White v Genia
10 JO'C v Lealiifano
11 Koroibete v Koroibete
12 To'omua v Kerevi
13 Paisami v Petaia
14 Daugunu v Hodge
15 Banks v Beale
16 Uelese v Uelese
17 Sio v Slipper
18 Ala'alatoa v Tupou
19 Simmons v Coleman
20 Valetini v LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
21 Gordon v White
22 Lolesio v To'omua
23 Hodge v O'Connor

Locks clearly a level below. I think Wilson will be a better 6 than Pocock was. Arguably Paisami in good form is as good as an undercooked Petaia was coming back from a long injury. I'd take Kerevi. Daugunu is a better winger than Hodge and I'd take Beale over Banks. Not as worse off as I initially thought when I saw the comparison.

Nice comparison. Very interesting.

I agree the locks are a step down. But otherwise, it's really just a difference in styles. For example Pocock V Wilson, it's hard to say Wilson is a better player then Pocock as they have completely different styles of games, Pocock is the best at what he does.
Same with Samu V Nais, To'omua V Kerevi, Daugunu V Hodge.
It's not necessarily 'better players' - if you want an all round skillset and second playmaker To'omua over Kerevi is an easy decision but if you want your all out attack tackle-breaker then it's easily Kerevi etc.

I like the balance in Rennie's squad better. Backrow is more balanced, and the backline has playmakers where they need to be, a solid fullback, and strike power everywhere else.

Loving our Front Row too.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
The only real surprise for me is Gordon on the bench ahead of Tate or even Powell. Would have loved to see Tate's running game in the last 15mins. But then again, I have always thought Gordon was under-rated and would probably look a lot better if he wasn't in a poor Tahs team. Hopefully Gordon is a nice surprise.

I think Hodge is lucky to be there. I don't rate him highly anymore. Although I understand his utility value on the bench, so fair enough.

Everything else is spot on. Maybe Rennie has been reading the G&GR boards? ;)

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Bit surprised to see Slipper starting. I must say I haven't been paying particularly close attention to him this season but my perception of him in 2020 is as a average scrummager that makes limited impact in general play. Is that unfair? Is he just there to add some experience or am I missing something?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Bit surprised to see Slipper starting. I must say I haven't been paying particularly close attention to him this season but my perception of him in 2020 is as a average scrummager that makes limited impact in general play. Is that unfair? Is he just there to add some experience or am I missing something?

Absolutely unfair. I have noticed him this season and think he's playing better then he ever was. His running lines at superb. And his work around the park is great. I think he was clearly better then Sio at the Brumbies and was scrummaging better then him too.

If Tupou wasn't such a freak I think everyone would be raving about how good Slipper was this season. I'm actually surprised there are posters who were still selecting Sio in there team. I thought Sio had his worst season to date (although came good in the end).

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
The McDermott exclusion is interesting. It's hard to think it's about experience next to Lolesio given Gordon has played exactly one test and that was two years ago.

Is the box kick issue a strong part of the decision?

They are both the type of players with strong running games who are good impact players.
I think both of the above. Certainly box kicking has to be a consideration for test rugby, but even though Gordon has only limited tests he is that bit older and a bit more experienced, and has been in pretty good form himself.

Apparently as a Qlder I am supposed to be upset at McDermott’s exclusion - but personally I am happy with all of the selections and look forward to Sunday.