• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand vs Australia Oct 11 2020 Bledisloe Cup

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Asked whether McDermott was considered given his strong campaign for the Reds and the ready-built combination with fly-half James O'Connor, Rennie said that Gordon's kicking game and ability, therefore, to control the tempo of the game held sway.

"Like a number of spots, it’s tight," Rennie said.

"I thought Tate was excellent for the Reds, he’s a real impact player and his ability to attack.

"In the end we looked at Jake who has a better kicking game. We figured that would be really important in pressure situations. There’s not a lot between those guys."

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I suspect a lot of the tactical kicking will come from 9 and 12 with JOC (James O'Connor) been able to do what he does best and take the line on

drewprint

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Also of course would have loved McDermott in there but totally understand the logic of White and Gordon. And with such a brutal schedule everyone will get their turn I suspect!

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I really like the team. My heart is already in my mouth a bit with Paisami - he’s a ripping talent but at this early stage of his career I would’ve felt much, much more comfortable with Petaia or Kurindrani in there.
Yes one position where feel at risk of being exposed - I think he is a talent and got improvement in him so who knows maybe he might surprise and for player like him getting exposed early to what’s required at test level can fast track his development

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I’d be putting my money on Jordie or Bridge as they out leap Koro or Filipo... won’t be paying much but that’s the tactic.

Highkicks

Herbert Moran (7)
I actually think these locks could be much stronger than the two from the world cup given the chance, as much as I wanted to like Rodda I have to admit he never really delivered. Both have a harder edge to me and hopefully they can have a good start on Sunday.

Forward pack looks fantastic overall actually. Backs I'm much less certain about, not even talking about size. Someone mentioned JOC (James O'Connor)/To'omua being more threatening than their opposites and for the life of me I can't see how. Aside from our wings I think we could go pretty poorly here, hopefully not though. Our centers defense is a real concern.

Overall pretty good though and in with a shot on paper at least. Trying to be objective, we might have them in tight but in the backs less so, especially with their reserves.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
A
Ej1u7xVVgAA4ihV

I'd say Rieko at centre and McNuggets on the wing are the two real surprises.

In terms of test match experience, there's a total of 659 caps in the starting XV ranging from 9 (Frizell & Bridge) to 117 (Whitelock), with a mean of 44 caps. The reserves have 215 caps ranging from the three debutants (Vaa'i, Sotutu, and Clarke) through to a very noice 69 (old man Coles), with a mean of 27 caps.

Pah.

A 10 at 15
A 15 at 14
A 14 at 13 and
A 13 at 12.

Go on. Let's f@cking have 'em then

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I really like the team. My heart is already in my mouth a bit with Paisami - he’s a ripping talent but at this early stage of his career I would’ve felt much, much more comfortable with Petaia or Kurindrani in there.
I reckon Paisami might thrive outside of To'omua and with genuine fire power across the back three. He has a nose for a gap and carries through contact like a much bigger player. To'omua will be leading the defence.
Looking for a big game from Paisami.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
To'omua is a superb defender at 12 so I'm sure if he's leading the line he may be able to help direct Paisami around a bit. Paisami is a strong tackler too he just get's caught out of position at times. This will be improved.

Can't be any worse then Kerevi was to begin with.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Good luck to these young men. Such an incredible moment for Wilson, Paisami, Daugunu and Lolesio. That video the Wallabies put up with them hearing their names called out was fantastic. Such genuine happiness shown by them all. I'm very excited to see them belt out our anthem on Sunday. Very proud moment for them.

I think this is a team which can match the darkness pretty much everywhere. Hopefully we have a good defensive system in place with the backs because they can all hit. Only weaknesses appear to be perhaps our line out and lack oh height in the back 3. They will pepper us all day in Windy Wellington.

Very excited to see how this new batch go. Up the Wallabies.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I reckon Paisami might thrive outside of To'omua and with genuine fire power across the back three. He has a nose for a gap and carries through contact like a much bigger player. To'omua will be leading the defence.
Looking for a big game from Paisami.

Hopefully you're right about Paisami, but he's up against probably the best attacking player in the ABs. Will be a baptism of fire for Hunter.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Bit surprised to see Slipper starting. I must say I haven't been paying particularly close attention to him this season but my perception of him in 2020 is as a average scrummager that makes limited impact in general play. Is that unfair? Is he just there to add some experience or am I missing something?
To be fair you said that you hadn't seen many games , but for me, Slipper was a no brainer. He's been better than Sio in every way this year. Sio has been pretty suspect in scrums during the post covid Super Rugby season and reply hasn't offered much in a attack or defence IMHO. If he got picked it would have been on reputation

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
To be fair you said that you hadn't seen many games , but for me, Slipper was a no brainer. He's been better than Sio in every way this year. Sio has been pretty suspect in scrums during the post covid Super Rugby season and reply hasn't offered much in a attack or defence IMHO. If he got picked it would have been on reputation

Of the four established props i reckon Sio will be the first to be usurped.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
In most of the games where the Brumbies scrum has been under pressure Slipper has come on and steadied the ship. He just has to hold his own and let TT go to work.
We have pretty decent front row stocks at the moment. I will be interested to see how FF (Folau Fainga'a) goes, if he’s stronger now in general play and at scrum time with a very solid pack around him.
Sunday cannot come quickly enough!

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
It will be interesting to see Hoops carry out his captaincy duties under his new coach.
The instructions from Rennie will have been loud and clear recently and possibly a new attitude and set of decision making will emerge over the next few games.
I'm hoping for no perceived aggro to the ref, consistent "take the 3 or go for the line" decisions, obvious support for the new guys, and add in a few big hits, some line breaks and turnovers.