• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand vs Australia Oct 11 2020 Bledisloe Cup

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
I don't want to just pile in on him but I wouldn't even credit Simmons with what you have there. He has never dominated set piece, never carried well and only rarely hits a ruck or tackle. I think he can do all that but he just hasn't ever with any consistency.
I like Phillip as a Super Rugby player but he didn't impress me at this level

Reactions: dru

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
I for one will be pretty annoyed if anyone who left Australia is brought back, this game is the perfect opportunity to say thanks but no thanks, we will breed our own test players in our own country. Seek as much money as you want overseas but we will select those who stay.

If NZ are considered the best in the world and we stuck it to them at home, why bring in players from overseas?

I can't think of one I'd have in the match day 23.
I fully concure!

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
I don’t imagine Petaia would cover FB as well as Hodge, with the wingers we have we need hodges utility and big boot to clear our quarter too. I think We are moving in the right direction by playing people where they should be and I’d imagine when fit Petaia will be there.you’d never say hodge is a superior athlete, I doubt he would, but he has the perfect mix of skills for a replacement back. You could move JOC (James O'Connor) to FB if you picked Petaia, I guess.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I don’t think any overseas lock would of made any difference. For me, the L/O issues weren’t lock related. The two out there are as industrious as we have ever had and their impact in the collision was great. Having 2 guys of lesser ability in the collision would of been detrimental in the field and the L/O would of still been ordinary as the throwing was sub-par. I’d almost say anyone other than LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) or Philip would of seen lesser performances given the circumstances. Fix the throwing and things might change in the aspect

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Which was kind of my point. Hodge isn't the talent of Petaia, but he doesn't break like Petaia and barring 1 degree of accuracy (and a short list of questionable refereeing) we could be talking a 1-nil lead in Bledisloe 2020.

Not that I think we really deserve it with that lineout and ruck work.

I wish I was good at maths! I would actually guess from that distance it would have been less than 1 degree that caused the miss

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don’t think any overseas lock would of made any difference. For me, the L/O issues weren’t lock related. The two out there are as industrious as we have ever had and their impact in the collision was great. Having 2 guys of lesser ability in the collision would of been detrimental in the field and the L/O would of still been ordinary as the throwing was sub-par. I’d almost say anyone other than LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) or Philip would of seen lesser performances given the circumstances. Fix the throwing and things might change in the aspect

Rennie has literally identified the most concerning area as the cleanout. Arnold and Skelton would improve that dramatically.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
So my thoughts are:

- we wus robbed (not really)
- lineout was fuckin woeful, i don't get why we didn't put more pressure on theirs because theirs went to shit the few times we did. Fainga'a highlighting why i think Latu is a must.
- Daugunu has the fetching technique of an openside, harshly pinged in my view. He's also real good. Wright's heart must've sunk a little watching that performance.
- Cleanouts were poop
- fucking Rob Simmons
- MK deciding to do his pick and go trick in the 85th fucking minute on our own try lie. My god man.
- We won the physicality and i don't see why we can't do that again - even if they bring Sotutu in for the well below par Savea. Need to sharpen our cleanout work though.
- White was rocks and diamonds. Some great plays and some absolute duds. I hope to see McDermott start on a dry track. I thought Gordon looked good when he came on. Happy for him to continue in the bench role.
- Tupou still hasn't stepped up and really dominated a test match the way he can do at Super Rugby level. I thought we was generally quite good though.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Clearly we weren't watching the same game. I thought Wilson and Phillip were outstanding ball carriers - poorly supported by the other forwards in many cases once they broke the line.
Having just watched the game with a calm eye (missed it live) I have to agree. Philip and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), with Tupou and Slipper in the first half, carried really well. Both cemented themselves for next week.
White too, and I have been a doubter, but I thought his play, especially in the first half, was bloody good.
Watching the Simmons penalty, he came up the middle, got squeezed to the side, but never left the maul. Seen it let go plenty of times. But the ref was yelling to get out. We heard the miked up ref, he looked like he did not, although everyone looks like that when they get pinged!

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Best hit on Moanga was by To'omua. Paisami was solid, made few if any errors but didn't really test the defense at all. Petaia at 133 next week forme.

He made post contact metres every run, though. And defence at 13 is more important that attack IMO. Either way, great to see two really good 13s coming through.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Clearly we weren't watching the same game. I thought Wilson and Phillip were outstanding ball carriers - poorly supported by the other forwards in many cases once they broke the line.
No, watched the same game. He didn't impress me or many posters on this forum, particularly in the first half. I'll check the stats but I didn't see it. The line outs were poor in attack and defence. Our throws were poor but did he steal/disrupt any?

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Rennie has literally identified the most concerning area as the cleanout. Arnold and Skelton would improve that dramatically.

Arnold is injured.
I don't think Skelton is worthy, but that's just me, I like to reward players who are loyal and interested.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I would switch Uelese and FF (Folau Fainga'a). This will shore up the scrum and Uelese is more productive in general play.​
Having the starting Brums front row in the second half to bring us home will be nice.​
The Rebels line out was the best in SRAU.​
On the bench I might bring in Hosea for Simmons and Petaia for Lolesio if fit. Not sure if Valentini should be there over Wright?​

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I would switch Uelese and FF (Folau Fainga'a). This will shore up the scrum and Uelese is more productive in general play.
Having the starting Brums front row in the second half to bring us home will be nice.
The Rebels line out was the best in SRAU.
On the bench I might bring in Hosea for Simmons and Petaia for Lolesio if fit. Not sure if Valentini should be there over Wright?

Yeah good point, if we can get to the 60th minute I don't see what value Simmons can bring from the bench that Hosea can't.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yeah good point, if we can get to the 60th minute I don't see what value Simmons can bring from the bench that Hosea can't.

And if Philip get's injured? Simmons fucked up but i still don't think you can go into a test without a second lineout caller

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
And if Philip get's injured? Simmons fucked up but i still don't think you can go into a test without a second lineout caller

Hence the big if statement there. Teach LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) or Hosea to say "6 red Mitsubishi 7 8!" piece of cake.