• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

New Zealand vs Australia Oct 11 2020 Bledisloe Cup

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I for one will be pretty annoyed if anyone who left Australia is brought back, this game is the perfect opportunity to say thanks but no thanks, we will breed our own test players in our own country. Seek as much money as you want overseas but we will select those who stay.

If NZ are considered the best in the world and we stuck it to them at home, why bring in players from overseas?

The change in regs mean's that Rennie CAN select 2 OS players, if need be. He doesn't have to, though. It's just an option.

Its a much better law than the cap one, because it achieves the same purpose in making players know that you've almost certainly got to be Aus based to play in gold, but opens up ALL options instead of veterans.

You can still pick the vet, but if a schoolboy bailed at 19 over to Europe and starts carving up, he's still an option.

Right now, Arnold would be the only one Rennie would've picked over his current options.

footy1>31

Ted Thorn (20)
^^^^
I honestly don't get how Jordie Barrett gets a gig. As far as i can tell he gets picked coz he's a bit tall.

absurd take, Reece Hodge is regarded as utility by the Wallabies and has been deservedly getting games for past 4 years, Jordie is better at literally everything other than long range goalkicking and would walk into whatever position he wanted for Wallabies. Could easily see Beaudy at 10 Jordie at 15 next week. He's only 23 as well!!

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
absurd take, Reece Hodge is regarded as utility by the Wallabies and has been deservedly getting games for past 4 years, Jordie is better at literally everything other than long range goalkicking and would walk into whatever position he wanted for Wallabies. Could easily see Beaudy at 10 Jordie at 15 next week. He's only 23 as well!!
Apparently, i've never seen him do anything particularly great for the All Blacks.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
I thought the forwards had the ascendancy (barring the lineout) and gave us the possession and territory. The locks played well. It’s been a long time since we last won the collisions up front.
The forwards should be rewarded next week with an unchanged lineup.
The inside backs looked a bit lost at times and should have made more of the possession. The back 3 were very good especially Daugunu and deserve to keep their spots.
Jody cannot be left out if fit and he’s a weapon at 13 which for me means Paisami misses a out on a starting spot despite a solid performance. He’s unfortunate but there’s a better player in his position. Wouldn’t mind seeing him at 12 sometime but not now against the ABs.
For me the spots that need some thought and development long term are 9/10/12
So for next week other than petaia at 13 if fit I’d consider a change at 9 (wasn’t impressed with white) and leave the rest alone.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
The inside backs looked a bit lost at times and should have made more of the possesion.at 12 sometime but not now against the ABs.
For me the spots that need some thought and development long term are 9/10/12

JOC (James O'Connor) was one of our best! His goal kicking in atrocious conditions the only blight, yet totally understandable.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
You have to wonder how many off-sides, illegal cleanouts, hands in the ruck & side entries, there were in those last, mad 10 minutes.. It seems the ref had made up his mind at that point that he didn't want one of those to be the deciding factor anyway!

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
No, watched the same game. He didn't impress me or many posters on this forum, particularly in the first half. I'll check the stats but I didn't see it. The line outs were poor in attack and defence. Our throws were poor but did he steal/disrupt any?

If you're looking for steals/disruptions then Liam Wright is your man for future tests. Pity he plays 7.;)

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Fox sports ratings have White on a 9... geez not sure about that and O’Connor a 6.5, that’s essentially a flawless game from White and I think he was definitely more a 7. The players who were picked based off their form in Super Rugby I think had a greater impact on the game than White did. O’Connor for mine was an 8 - his goal kicking was a let down but in tough conditions, but his game management was good and he attacked at the right time.

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
Fozzie gave all the guilty parties that fluffed their lines at RWC a shot at redemption.

The hapless fucking pricks went and fluffed their lines again.

Even worse this time, it was at home against a young, green Aussie team.

Gorge Bridge. No. Caleb Clarke/Will Jordan please. FFS just go away, Scott Hamilton Lite.
Dmac. No. Not a test level anything.
Ardie. No. Just too damn small. Sotutu please.
Dick Frizzle. No. Just too damn timid. Akira/Papalii/Big Red please. Next test is at Eden Park ffs. Those 3 will be exploding out of their nutsacks to fuck someone's shit up.

Agree with all of that. I was thrilled when I saw DMac listed to start. Clarke was brutal coming off the bench. Frizzel unsighted. Also earlier I think you mentioned Cane was a bit underwhelming? Was that his play it or his leadership? I was definitely worried about him at the ruck - he was channeling his inner Pocock.

Highkicks

Herbert Moran (7)
No, watched the same game. He didn't impress me or many posters on this forum, particularly in the first half. I'll check the stats but I didn't see it. The line outs were poor in attack and defence. Our throws were poor but did he steal/disrupt any?

I thought he was great, if he wasn't carrying well in traffic then who was?

The other thing to consider about the lineout is that ours was very fresh, lots of new players, a new caller, new coaches and it was up against an already established and well performing lineout from the AB's. Hopefully we will see a lot of improvement here. We also certainly pressured their ball, I know Samu got up a few times and I think Philip may have knocked one out of the air too, but not certain.

How good is Wilson? At 21! Amazing performance by him.

I absolutely love that he runs on to the ball! Such a simple thing that makes a massive difference, whether you intend to hit it up, pass or just act as an option. Movement off the ball is vital to the attack, it's so frustrating to see players just walking or standing still, pick a line and run it, give the ball players some options. I also think with his hit up style he will benefit from some extra size as he gets older.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I like Phillip as a Super Rugby player but he didn't impress me at this level

What were you watching man. He fulfilled his role well. The only criticism was that he was at times not timing getting to the rucks well. He will get better. He stood up to Tuipolotu, who has been bullying people in NZ at will.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
To'omua. Meh. Cannot help but think what a massive difference Kerevi would have made to go forward and work rate.

HE should be dumped for those shitty chip kicks alone.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Any team wanting to beat the All Blacks needs to be ready to beat the ref too. We all know that. No point whinging about missed calls now.

Any team wanting to beat the AB's needs to stop stupid chip kicks and half-arsed speculative offloads, and protect the breakdown on attack a lot better. Kicks a few goals as well and then you can start to worry about the ref.